Sign in to follow this  
Tristan Marchent

Let’s talk about CPU’s

Hi everyone,

I very rarely if at all post in these forums but I feel this area is going to hopefully give me the best answer, advice or at least point me in the right direction.

A few years ago I purchased a new system for myself from UK company ‘Chillblast’. This was a Matt Davies PC and built especially for Flight sim and it really has done well since I’ve had it but I’ve noticed it’s ever so slowly getting lower FPS as of course scenery and aircraft add-ons get better and require more processing and/or power.

My current system is as follows:

Intel i7-6700k Skylake at 4.0-4.2 overclocked by 20%.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Graphics Card

Corsair Hydro H80i CPU Cooler

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard

16gb DDR4 Memory.

So those are the key components. Of course, if anyone needs to know more please do say so. So I was look at upgrading firstly the CPU to something like a i7 9700k.. Now, this is the first time that I would’ve changed/replaced single components. In the past I used to just wait until I needed a full new system but I said to myself with this desktop, I’d like to keep it and just update the components inside as and when they need it.

I just want my sim to be packing a little bit more of a punch than just the 10-15FPS it has around heavy sceneries and I can understand that it is that low but if I invested in something that would increase those Fps then great!

If anyone could post suggestions down below, that would be most appreciated. I use the sim mainly for FS Labs stuff and PMDG. Using Orbx regions and a multitude of add-on scenery.

Many thanks,

Best Regards,
Tristan Marchent - UK fATPL(A) - EMB 195 First Officer

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

You don't mention which sim you use... but let's get right to the nub of the problem.  To upgrade to something like the 9700K will require the new CPU, a new motherboard, and you should probably consider new DDR4 memory (faster).  Your 1080 GPU may get the job done if you're not running a 4K monitor (mine does fine with my 2K screen in P3Dv4).  Finally, you should also budget for a new cooling solution.  The 9700K/9900K series can create more than a little heat when they are overclocked... your current H80i might hold back higher overclocks.

HTH and Good Luck,

Greg

You have a nicely balanced system... when it is time to upgrade, a similar, newer, balanced system would be in order... as stated above, you cannot just replace individual components, especially the CPU..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Hello chaps,

Thank you for getting back to me. Apologies I did not state what sim I’m using, it’s Prepar3D V4.5.

I didn’t realise I couldn’t just buy a CPU and replace it.. without buying a whole new motherboard with it too.

So the question I ask now then is, how do I increase the performance from my current PC so that I can just get a few more FPS especially at night time.

Meanwhile, I’ll investigate the various components I would need if I was to upgrade my system in the near future. It’s a shame though because this desktop cost a huge amount of money when I bought it. Between £2,500-£3,000!

I don’t run 4K monitors, at least I don’t think I do too.

Many thanks,

Tristan

Best Regards,

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

8 hours ago, lownslo said:

You don't mention which sim you use... but let's get right to the nub of the problem.  To upgrade to something like the 9700K will require the new CPU, a new motherboard, and you should probably consider new DDR4 memory (faster).  Your 1080 GPU may get the job done if you're not running a 4K monitor (mine does fine with my 2K screen in P3Dv4).  Finally, you should also budget for a new cooling solution.  The 9700K/9900K series can create more than a little heat when they are overclocked... your current H80i might hold back higher overclocks.

HTH and Good Luck,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. You stated about DDR4 memory, which I already have. What did you mean by this exactly?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Tristan, allow me to add my comments. You do need a faster CPU but your existing mobo won’t accept the latest i7 or i9 models so that necessitates a new mobo. You could probably keep your existing memory at a pinch although faster would help with a good balance of components.

The big impact on performance is resolution which you haven’t mentioned. A 1080 is still a good card for 1920*1080 and at a pinch 2560*1440. But if you want to go to UHD (3840*2160) then a 1080Ti or equivalent is needed. That card is no longer available and the nearest equivalent is the 2080Ti that costs an eye watering £999 - £1400 depending on model.

The cheapest solution is a new mobo, G-Skill memory and i9 CPU and stick with your 1080 until you’re ready to go to UHD. Just reduce the scenery sliders to boost fps.

A more radical option is to sell your case, mobo etc. and put the money towards another Chillblast system. I’ve had mine for a year and am delighted with it. I sold my i7-4770K, 8Gb RAM, 1080 with W7 for £700 a year ago.

Finally, you didn’t mention the OS. If it’s Windows 7 Microsoft ends support in January. You should include a licence for Windows 10 Pro in any plans.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Additional info

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Another option to consider is to sell the 1080, replace it with a modest graphics card and run it as a second PC networked to run moving map programs such as Little Navmap (donation-ware) or Aivlasoft's Electronic Flight bag (commercial). That way you could keep that PC for many years as the demands on it would be minimal.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Tristan, allow me to add my comments. You do need a faster CPU but your existing mobo won’t accept the latest i7 or i9 models so that necessitates a new mobo. You could probably keep your existing memory at a pinch although faster would help with a good balance of components.

The big impact on performance is resolution which you haven’t mentioned. A 1080 is still a good card for 1920*1080 and at a pinch 2560*1440. But if you want to go to UHD (3840*2160) then a 1080Ti or equivalent is needed. That card is no longer available and the nearest equivalent is the 2080Ti that costs an eye watering £999 - £1400 depending on model.

The cheapest solution is a new mobo, G-Skill memory and i9 CPU and stick with your 1080 until you’re ready to go to UHD. Just reduce the scenery sliders to boost fps.

A more radical option is to sell your case, mobo etc. and put the money towards another Chillblast system. I’ve had mine for a year and am delighted with it. I sold my i7-4770K, 8Gb RAM, 1080 with W7 for £700 a year ago.

Finally, you didn’t mention the OS. If it’s Windows 7 Microsoft ends support in January. You should include a licence for Windows 10 Pro in any plans.

Hi Ray,

Thank you I really appreciate your input too. Apologies that I didn't give all the information to start off with. I run Windows 10 on my current PC and have 2 x NEC MultiSync EA241WM Monitors. I only use P3D on one monitor and the other monitor for other things such as Navigraph etc. I do have a third monitor which is back home in the UK and ultimately at some point when I can I would like to use all three monitors for the full wrap around effect.

It's just interesting to hear that I'd need a whole new computer pretty much to get the performance I still require, and also I've never built a PC before, I've only just bought one. I know some people have also got 2k or 4k monitors. What is the benefit to this? Better frames/quality etc? I don't even know if my NEC monitors now support that.

I hadn't thought about selling my system, purely because I thought it was good for the next few years.

Many thanks,

Best Regards,

I'm sort of in the same boat myself. One other thing to take into account is if you have any PCI card devices such as additonal sound card.

The newer motherboards such as the Z390 series don't have a PCI slot anymore but the shorter PCIe (PCI Express).

You should check the CPU comparison links to show the difference between your current setup and a desired new CPU

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleCompare.php

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Tristan Marchent said:

Hi Ray,

Thank you I really appreciate your input too. Apologies that I didn't give all the information to start off with. I run Windows 10 on my current PC and have 2 x NEC MultiSync EA241WM Monitors. I only use P3D on one monitor and the other monitor for other things such as Navigraph etc. I do have a third monitor which is back home in the UK and ultimately at some point when I can I would like to use all three monitors for the full wrap around effect.

It's just interesting to hear that I'd need a whole new computer pretty much to get the performance I still require, and also I've never built a PC before, I've only just bought one. I know some people have also got 2k or 4k monitors. What is the benefit to this? Better frames/quality etc? I don't even know if my NEC monitors now support that.

I hadn't thought about selling my system, purely because I thought it was good for the next few years.

Many thanks,

Hi Tristan,

I'm glad you mentioned your monitors as that adds another factor to consider. They are quite old and no longer available. The resolution is 1920*1200 so FullHD near as word not allowed. The problem is the inputs from the graphics card. It has DVI which your 1080 has. But that input is no longer available on modern cards such as the 1080Ti or the 2080 range. If you wanted to change your graphics card to a more powerful one and keep the monitors you'd need a DVi-HDMI adaptor such as this.

The advantage of a 4K/UHD monitor is detail. Gauges that were indistinct now become razor sharp. You're throwing 4 times the number of pixels at flight sim so everything becomes sharp. I'm sure you must have gone into John Lewis and looked at the 4K TVs. That's what you could get with a 4K/UHD monitor such as the BenQ in my sig. Some people have 55" 4K TVs for flying and the immersion factor is awesome.

The downside to 4K/UHD is it requires a powerful graphics card. Your 1080 is okay for default aircraft with simple cockpits but the FSL Airbus would drag performance down making it unusuable.

As for a wrap-around 3 monitor setup that can also hit performance really badly. You might be best looking for an ultra-wide 21:9 monitor. Single displays will always give you best fps.

I used to build my own PCs until overclocking became the norm. I leave it to the pros now. You pay a little more but get a warranty whcih you don't get on your system if you build yourself. Just a warranty on the individual items.

Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 hours ago, Tristan Marchent said:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. You stated about DDR4 memory, which I already have. What did you mean by this exactly?

Thanks!

As mentioned by Bert, your current system is well balanced.  But to take the 2133 memory you have now and put it in your new computer would make the memory sub-system a weak point in system balance.  No matter how well balanced you configured the new computer, the 2133 memory would hold it back.  Try for something around 3600/CL16 to start... but if you can afford faster then you should buy it.

Cheers,

Greg

13 hours ago, Tristan Marchent said:

So the question I ask now then is, how do I increase the performance from my current PC so that I can just get a few more FPS especially at night time.

Regarding your above question, I would suggest setting up a separate settings profile in P3D (I have a settings profile called "London Night") which has reduced settings for nighttime ops into Heathrow and other fps-demanding locations. 

I'm not at my fs machine at the moment, but I can tell you that I reduce antialiasing (AA) to 8xMSAA, or even 4xMSAA, for night ops, and disable shadows (both receive and cast), and turn down both autogen (AG) sliders (I think it is on Normal for veg, and Sparse for buildings).  Now keep in mind, this settings profile is extremely draconian, and not what I normally run (my sim normally is full of autogen etc.).  I designed the draconian London Night profile to maintain 30 fps at night at Heathrow, with AI, and weather -- to me, maintaining smooth taxiing and climbout/approach is more important than any other consideration there.   And if you're good at Heathrow/New York/Tokyo/LA -- you will be good anywhere in the sim.

I don't know what AI you're using.  Be mindful of AI density, particularly at busy airports.  Another two cpu-heavy sliders are Special Effects (largely due to shoreline wave animations, which hit the cpu hard) and AI vehicles (my London Night profile has them at just 7% vs. the 15% I normally run).

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB