Sign in to follow this  
KJANRBeard

Could we see cloud more variations?

Hello All,

Is there a chance we could see more cloud types, more cirrus and stratus types and differing layers of those types?
Although the storm clouds in the latest video are really something else, Truly Amazing!!.... I’d like to see more cirrus, cirrus overcast(milky sunshine) rather than the puffy cumulus, partly cloudy sky we’ve seen so far. They are really beautiful and many of the videos and screenshots show those puffy scattered cumulus and thunderstorms, which are very important. 
But, could we please see other cloud types?

Far off summer thunderheads, scattered cirrus, overcast cirrus (as mentioned -milky sky) mid-level, thick stratus overcast....thinking of things we see a lot in the southern USA.

Thanks All.  If this has been asked before, my apologies.

Really excited about what we have so far!!!!!

Thanks All,

KJANRCB

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

They are volumetric, they could be whatever shape and type they need. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

55 minutes ago, Sethos said:

They are volumetric, they could be whatever shape and type they need. 

Yes, but they would need to be put in conditions where they actually can form. 

I would be somewhat disappointed to see convective clouds form in the sim over a surface that is cooler than the air above it (warm air mass). No thermals means no CU, CB clouds. This is basic weather 101, and it would be weird to see it happen in the advanced world Asobo is creating.

Right now we have typical warm sector weather where I live (warm front passed few days ago) and there are no cumulus clouds to be seen - obviously...

Drizzle (from stratus) and rain (from Nimbostratus) is all we have, and I hope to see it in MSFS.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

5 hours ago, KJANRBeard said:

Hello All,

Is there a chance we could see more cloud types, more cirrus and stratus types and differing layers of those types?
Although the storm clouds in the latest video are really something else, Truly Amazing!!.... I’d like to see more cirrus, cirrus overcast(milky sunshine) rather than the puffy cumulus, partly cloudy sky we’ve seen so far. They are really beautiful and many of the videos and screenshots show those puffy scattered cumulus and thunderstorms, which are very important. 

Far off summer thunderheads, scattered cirrus, overcast cirrus (as mentioned -milky sky) mid-level, thick stratus overcast....thinking of things we see a lot in the southern USA.

Thanks All.  If this has been asked before, my apologies.

Really excited about what we have so far!!!!!

Thanks All,

KJANRCB

Yes!  I'm sure they have been showing mainly the huge towering cb's to show off the performance of the new graphics engine, but I too would love to see some of the more boring and less visually impressive weather.  Once thing that even hifi still has not pulled off are the thick high altitude light chop cirrus layers in the mid 30's.  They are often blown off from thunderheads, or part of frontal systems and not reported by metars.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

I'm sure the ActiveSky guys would love for Asobo to fail with other kinds of clouds. It seems like MS are only too happy to encourage 3PDs.

Mike Beckwith

7 hours ago, KJANRBeard said:

I agree with you!

The 3D cumulus clouds are looking really good, but up to now there are no other cloud types to be seen.

It would be great, if we could see some shots or videos of cirrus clouds.

Patric

Edited by pscharff

Not only that but the clouds sometimes seem out of focus and the color of some clouds look closer to that of volcanic ash. The depiction of towering cb in the sim is nowhere close to reality although still better than current offerings. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

49 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Not only that but the clouds sometimes seem out of focus and the color of some clouds look closer to that of volcanic ash. The depiction of towering cb in the sim is nowhere close to reality although still better than current offerings. 

Unfortunately I fully agree. Couldn't have said it any better. Once they are quite a few miles away the 'out of focus' effect disappears, but close in....

59 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Not only that but the clouds sometimes seem out of focus and the color of some clouds look closer to that of volcanic ash. 

Can’t say you are wrong. There is a doomsday feeling in some of the teasers.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 hours ago, SAS443 said:

Yes, but they would need to be put in conditions where they actually can form. 

Yes, who says those conditions won't be present? 🙂

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

It does actually have both cirrus and stratus but I would love to see more variety in the cirrus especially.  i suspect that things will evolve over time.  

cirrus (and more):

1LVKNDa.png

wuzTYop.jpg

and stratus over Denmark (from the nine cities video) which I think looks great:

doY5EM5.jpg

qSmxiz6.jpg

and then who could argue with these:

9F2WhJm.png

EBEUY50.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

they said ALL known cloud types are in the sim already.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

16 hours ago, Baber20 said:

Not only that but the clouds sometimes seem out of focus and the color of some clouds look closer to that of volcanic ash.

Noooo? Really? You're cherry picking.

Mark Daniels

Wish there would be more screenshots of overcast or videos showing descending from clear skies down into a thick layer overcast and busting out 300agl for ils approach..

Wish we can:

https://youtu.be/pof-dppwpl4?t=1484

Edited by KERNEL32

1 hour ago, KERNEL32 said:

videos showing descending from clear skies down into a thick layer overcast

Your link doesn't work.  But here is one showing flying over a fog bank.  

Edited by GlideBy