Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Progress.....?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

9JDMHz.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Sad but true.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s the traveling public decided that they wanted air travel to be like Greyhound. And here we are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

NAX669.png

I remember back in the DC6 days even Tourist or economy class was nice. Seats were wide and you were treated well with complementary snacks or meals if the flight was long enough.

Vic green

Oh yes!!! The days of Skychefs, Dobbs. I can smell the food driving by the flight kitchen in my mind.Rack of lamb, lobster bisque, shrimp scampi.  LOL!!!

Edited by Paul Deluca

In 75 I flew from Milwaukee to Tampa on a United flight. My meal was steak, potato, and salad. It was great. Then in 2013 I flew to Seattle on Delta and paid 6 bucks for a crappy sandwich for my wife. Yep things have certainly changed. And all my flights in between kept getting more and more frugal, 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

40 minutes ago, Paul Deluca said:

Oh yes!!! The days of Skychefs, Dobbs. I can smell the food driving by the flight kitchen in my mind.Rack of lamb, lobster bisque, shrimp scampi.  LOL!!!

We cannot forget the after dinner card games for the adults, Coloring books, plastic pilot wings for the kiddies, compliments of the carrier[ you paid for it from buying  your tickets].

48 minutes ago, Paul Deluca said:

I ate a lot of Skychef food over the years. We would have to go over to the flight kitchen to pick up crew meals and they would feed us.

NAX669.png

8 minutes ago, mwilk said:

I ate a lot of Skychef food over the years. We would have to go over to the flight kitchen to pick up crew meals and they would feed us.

Trusthouse Forte sky catering

The funny thing is that nobody complains that there aren't any free meals when travelling by bus or train, especially when you consider that airline tickets are sometimes even cheaper!

• Upvote 1

Overall the history is the moving forwards, I don't envy the air traveller like 50 years ago, today we have something they don't have then, in terms of traveling, flying VFR nowadays in small airplanes is much more relaxing and convenient than before, at least we have foreflight, etc... 🙂

Yep, the golden age of flying is well behind us.

The last time I flew was in 2012 and I have vowed not to fly again unless there's no other reasonable choice, e.g. going overseas.  I got tired of paying to be treated like a third class citizen being stuffed into a cattle car just to get somewhere faster.  Driving is a lot slower, but at least for a few more years yet is is more comfortable and convenient IMO.  However, as our population continues to increase the freeways are becoming more and more crowded, even in less populated States, making long drives more stressful, and driving through most cities is almost always a harrowing and unpleasant experience.  Then there's the never-ending construction work to make the freeways wider to accommodate more cars which makes the trips more dangerous and slows you down, and then by the time the construction is completed there are already so many more cars that it's time to start adding another 2 or 3 more lanes.

And this is supposed to be "progress".

Dave 

Edited by dave2013
  • Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

53 minutes ago, FlylowNslow said:

flying VFR nowadays in small airplanes is much more relaxing and convenient than before

Seriously?  Today there's way more VFR traffic, way more airspace etc. restrictions, Couldn't disagree more! 

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1

As we say in French, you cannot get the butter and keep the money for the butter. You can’t have both, very low fares and comfort. People want low fares with a very good reason : they crave to travel. Flights were much more expensive then, they couldn’t. This is indeed progress. Affordable mobility, openness to the world. In this day and age, you don’t have to be a movie star or a rich business person to fly to New York or Bangkok.

My first flights were on a Caravelle to London in 65 I think then on a DC4 to Copenhagen. Since then I had more than my share of transcontinental and domestic flights including numerous in the US . All over the period  I don’t remember that seats were that much more comfortable in Economy than now. Food was better then on Air France 😋, other carriers, meh 😝 (disclaimer : being French, I may have a bias here).  Air France does its best to catch up though specially on short/medium haul !

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Too many people in the world.  Mass consumption of any service significantly waters down the experience for everyone.

Besides, we can't expect steak and potatoes on low fare prices (which, on balance is everyone's choice).

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1