Sign in to follow this  
PaulB2101

Why do you play Microsoft Flight Simulator ?

What originally pushed to play these games? Me for example, it's the fact that I always wanted to be a pilot but my eyesight was too bad for me to have a chance of becoming one. 

• Like 4

I am a pilot, but can't afford to fly anymore except via FSX!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulB2101 said:

What originally pushed to play these games? Me for example, it's the fact that I always wanted to be a pilot but my eyesight was too bad for me to have a chance of becoming one. 

I believe half of the people here would say that use flight sim as a true simulator rather than playing a game   Though I am one who uses FSX/P3D as a simulator, I'm absolutely fine with those who use it as a game... it's how I got started in flight sim 37 or so years ago!  Today I still average 3 to 4 flights per week.

I used to fly aboard US Navy P-3C (TACCO) and later general aviation, but it's a rich mans hobby and even if I still flew I couldn't possibly experience all the aircraft and different procedures as I do in flight sim.

Best wishes!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I only do things that are simulation.

Flight simulation

Golf simulation

Combat simulation

Prison simulation

Enjoy them all, they are fun games.

Mark Daniels

Because my Dad was a Navy pilot in WWII, My older brother had his twin engine license. They both used to take me up, and let me takeover!! Of course they had the pilot's seat and had it under control. I was around 10yrs old!! I started taking lessons to get my license when I was 20yrs old, My Dad died at only 49, then my older brother died in a car accident at 33yrs old. I never did take my solo flight for my PPL, felt like my inspiration was gone:pedih:. So, Other than carrier landings to remind me of Dad, I recreate the flights that I took with my brother. Same plane, same airport(KGFL), near Lake George, NY. The great Adirondack Mountains!!!

So that's my reason. Plus I love airplanes!

Thanks,

Mike       

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

My profile picture is me and my daughter after a flight over our house and the lake. She's 33 now, and I'm 61.

• Like 3

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Avidean,

YOU may consider yourself a loser, (it would be interesting to know, precisely, how many agree with you LOL  ... Comprehensive audit to follow) but you certainly have friends here.

I suspect, however, that your statement, was made tongue-in-cheek so the above also made in that vein.

For me, Flightsimming occupies me for at least 4-6 hours per day which may or may not, include time spent at AVSIM. It is an integral part of my life, particularly when the Indonesian government actually supplies me some electricity, which, in itself, is unreliable, to say the least. Add that to Internet supply (Telkom - also Indonesian Government) which provides me with reliably inconsistent speeds, which range from 5kbs to 10Mbs, averaging probably 500kbs despite paying for 20MBS at AUD110 per month.

Put the problems here together, and flightsimming can be an ordeal, but well worth the effort and tribulations.

Regards to all ... please note that I am still smiling

Tony

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I’m right there with jpc55! I am a licensed pilot, but now that my wife and I are both retired, it’s too expensive to fly anymore. Flight simulation fills the gap. I’ve been with MSFS since the first release. If the new release proves to be too expensive, I will stay with what I have or may branch out to XP or P3D for the 64 bit experience.

• Like 3

I've always had an interest in aviation (full size and RC) and I love playing video games. Flight simming to me is an extension of both. :cool:

I've never had the finances to go for a PPL although I did manage a few hours in gliders (dual ,instruction). Life played its part also: Married with two grown up children, one of whom is on the autistic spectrum.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

For me, always had an interest in radios, aviation and geography. My main hobby for years was shortwave radio listening where I could sit in a chair and travel the world with my shortwave radio. In the early or mid nineties, purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator 3.1 and that was the start of my flight sim hobby. Could continue to enjoy my main interest, aviation, radios for navigation, and flying from place to place for the geography. Real aviation is very costly while trying to raise a family and the reason I stuck with the flight simulation hobby for over 25 years. Like my shortwave hobby I can sit in a chair and travel the world.

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Love flying, but spending nearly £100k just to submit a CV at an airline didn't feel as good an investment as £2k on a new PC, P3D and add-ons.

And I get to fly whenever I want*
(*when work and SWMBO allow me:ph34r:

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I just like the view..... 😹

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5