Sign in to follow this  
PaulB2101

Why do you play Microsoft Flight Simulator ?

Love aviation, flying, geography, travel, maps and computers... FS combines all of those neatly into one entertaining package. 

• Like 6

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

On 11/28/2019 at 3:28 AM, Superdelphinus said:

I am often most interested in the take off and landing bits of flying, and less on the rest of it - I find cruising incredibly boring and pointless in a game.

I once heard flying described as "long hours of boredom sandwiched between two moments of absolute terror."

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

13 hours ago, simmerhead said:

Love aviation, flying, geography, travel, maps and computers... FS combines all of those neatly into one entertaining package. 

That’s exactly right. Prior to really getting involved in the FS9 days I didn’t really know a lot about computers, didn’t travel outside my country, did fly and work on a PPL, and was so so with world geography.

Now all these years later I’ve learned so much about computers mainly from having to build them and maintain them for sim purposes. I’ve gotten really interesting in world geography and traveling so much just from simming that I’ve actually traveled to central and South America, Europe and some  Caribbean islands just because I enjoyed flying there in the sim and wanted to see them in real life. I’ve learned a ton about a lot of other countries and cities, some of which I had never even heard of prior to flying to them in the sim.

When you think about it, using the flight sim aside from the aviation part of it, can be a great tool to learn about the world and will be even better in MSFS2020 with the more realistic landscapes.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It is more expensive to go to the pub.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It helps me overcome my ED

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

On 11/29/2019 at 3:44 PM, simmerhead said:

👍👍👍

On 11/29/2019 at 9:44 PM, simmerhead said:

On 11/30/2019 at 11:20 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

That’s exactly right. Prior to really getting involved in the FS9 days I didn’t really know a lot about computers, didn’t travel outside my country, did fly and work on a PPL, and was so so with world geography.

Now all these years later I’ve learned so much about computers mainly from having to build them and maintain them for sim purposes. I’ve gotten really interesting in world geography and traveling so much just from simming that I’ve actually traveled to central and South America, Europe and some  Caribbean islands just because I enjoyed flying there in the sim and wanted to see them in real life. I’ve learned a ton about a lot of other countries and cities, some of which I had never even heard of prior to flying to them in the sim.

When you think about it, using the flight sim aside from the aviation part of it, can be a great tool to learn about the world and will be even better in MSFS2020 with the more realistic landscapes.

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Add to that the challenge to learn to master a complex airliner and the satisfaction it brings when you finally feel at home in the virtual cockpit staying ahead of the aircraft under all conditions.

It's a great hobby these days and will get even better next year hopefully.

Edited by RALF9636

Heck, where else can you drink and fly an aircraft?:blink:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Oh my. You didn't really say Play did you. Don't you know this is serious stuff and requires hours of training and a few dollars (mostly for beer and snacks). 😂😂

JK. I fly the computer now because I don't fly as PIC any longer. It helps keep me sharp. 

• Like 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

In the beginning, low to mid teens, I decided I would be an airline pilot. I bought every simulator I could and read what I could get my hands on (which was sadly not much at that time) I studied the military flight exams in High School and in my senior year, I had an amazing aptitude score for both the Navy and Air Force. Can't remember why these days, but instead of flying the Navy wanted me to do Nuclear something or other and the AF also wanted me to do something other than I wanted to do. In hindsight, I should have gone with it and negotiated. But I was young, naive and had no guidance...

During and after college I began flight training. When I first got up in the air, I was a little disappointed as I couldn't do as I wanted. I loved the structure of the checklist and ATC flow, but maintaining a heading and altitude in the hot summers over NJ wasn't what i had learned in the Flight Sims. It bothered me. But I kept going... until I saw it wasn't going to be financially viable to make the hours I needed.

Now? I still love flying, I love airliners, I love the thought of being an airline pilot and the ONLY way I can get those feelings now is in flight sims. Sadly I see and work with pilots daily and is a constant reminder that I could not attain my dream. I flew $25 million 777 simulator this summer. It was one of the best experiences in my life (no exaggerations). Senior training captain complimented me on my scan and techniques which should have made me happy, and it did for awhile... But sometimes all I think of is what could have been...

So here I am: A broken dreams, wannabe pilot. A washout. But I just can't escape the satisfying feeling of a properly planned and successful execution of a flight. 

• Like 1

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Because flying is fun, I like planes, wanted to be a pilot and this is probably the closest I'll ever get to that.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

9 hours ago, SKEWR said:

So here I am: A broken dreams, wannabe pilot. A washout. But I just can't escape the satisfying feeling of a properly planned and successful execution of a flight. 

You are not a "washout" my friend.  You are a victim of circumstances entirely beyond your control.

If I were inclined to have any regrets at all, it would only be that I wasn't as knowledgable and wise in 1964 as I am today... :laugh:

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator