Sign in to follow this  
ArchStanton

November 27th, 2019 – Development Update

3 hours ago, honanhal said:

I don’t get this at all. It’s a teaching tool like any other. How is this conceptually different from a student pilot sitting in a cockpit with an instructor who’s pointing out where things are (or prompting them when they’ve forgotten where a switch is or what to do next)?

This highlighting the next button for the checklist thing was a feature in the Virgin space shuttle sim that came out more than 25 years ago. Good thing, too, because that thing had about 5,000 tiny switches  in its cockpit...

I actually have no idea how real pilots are being taught these days, especially in ab initio trainings outside North America. But, speaking purely as an airline passenger, I honestly hope it’s not simply by throwing a couple thousand-page tomes at the students and telling them to commit them to memory. That may have been the cutting edge in scientific pedagogy two hundred years ago (probably not even then), but there’s a lot of research to show that it’s a lousy way to teach and to learn. That goes for any field, not just aviation. Reading is just one tool of many! Great to see a more interactive approach to help new “pilots” learn.

James

About 12-15 years ago, there was a program made for Discovery Channel here in Canada which over the course of about eight episodes followed a group of military pilots as they trained to fly the F-18.  It was called Jetstream, and can be found on YouTube for anyone interested.

It was fascinating to see the way they went though learning the stuff, which did indeed consist of them reading and memorizing huge amounts of literature, manuals, etc.  And then you would see them going through checklists, which they did at a crazy speed when they needed to get airborne. 

• Like 2

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

2 hours ago, siggy said:

In FSX, the Carenado Premier 1A has a so-called "Lift Dump" which cannot be activated via an assignable joystick button. I think one could use FSUIPC to access the "LVar" to do this job, but I never bothered buying yet another product for just one purpose. I hope that this will be over with the new simulator. Am I expecting too much?

I hope control assignments can be stored with aircaft, so when you load a specific aircraft, the corresponding custom assignment is also loaded. FSUIPC does this already off course.This way, as long as Carenada has exposed the Lift Dump variable to the sim as a controllable item you can assign a spare button or lever to it. In another aircraft that same lever could have a different function.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

8 hours ago, YMMB said:

Personal Opinion here...

See, I don't want MSFS developers to build "better than third party" aircraft simply because to do them all as well is near impossible in a time-frame sense.   

We do not know their time frame (when did they begin, what deadline MS HQ gave them for release), how many people work on these aircraft mini-projects in the overall project and the extent of the partnership they have with aircraft manufacturers. Do they have consultancy agreements with them that a small company like Asobo could only dream of if they were not working for/with MS  ?   

Smoothness :  See EP3 Aerodynamics at 2'50" mark

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 11/27/2019 at 10:57 PM, jlund said:

If that's the case, they could mention that. The do have the X-Cub cockpit in there and it wasn't shown at the Seattle event. Does the real X-cub have a digital cockpit? 

http://cubcrafters.com/xcub

Coming with option to add GARMIN G3X

http://cubcrafters.com/xcub/configure

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

More news to the front....

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:15 AM, domkle said:

The checklist management system including highlighting buttons, levers and switches is something long overdue ! 

I believe both Flight and the Dovetail FS had something similar but then many on Avsim despised them because due to the lack of big jets..........

• Upvote 2

Give people power to really test their personality.

12 hours ago, honanhal said:

This highlighting the next button for the checklist thing was a feature in the Virgin space shuttle sim that came out more than 25 years ago. Good thing, too, because that thing had about 5,000 tiny switches  in its cockpit...

Wow, after all these years I found another user of Virgin Space Shuttle! That was an incredible thing... The FS-Labs of Space Shuttles...

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

8 hours ago, domkle said:
17 hours ago, YMMB said:

Personal Opinion here...

See, I don't want MSFS developers to build "better than third party" aircraft simply because to do them all as well is near impossible in a time-frame sense.   

We do not know their time frame (when did they begin, what deadline MS HQ gave them for release), how many people work on these aircraft mini-projects in the overall project and the extent of the partnership they have with aircraft manufacturers. Do they have consultancy agreements with them that a small company like Asobo could only dream of if they were not working for/with MS  ?   

Asobo is in a much better position these days as MS was for the older simulators. More/better tools, if they need something in the sim that is not there, they simply add it, while before 3PDs had to find a workaround. Back then when MS built all of the sim and its aircraft, as everything was more difficult/laborious, when a certain level of quality was reached for aircraft, it was "good enough". Now, it seems, the goal is "as best as can be done" and it can be done as their infrastructure and resources are much better (e.g. the 3D scanning, the engineering drawings, access to whatever they need from the sim, etc.).

• Like 3

Siggy Schwarz

9 hours ago, SamYeager said:

I believe both Flight and the Dovetail FS had something similar but then many on Avsim despised them because due to the lack of big jets..........

Yes they had and was very similar to what msfs has now it was nice 👍 and hope they implemented this on all planes ✈️ 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

On 11/27/2019 at 5:52 PM, kand said:

What does 25,001 mean???

The number of posts in this MSFS2020 forum. There was a topic about this forum hitting 25,000. Subtle acknowledgment of it. 

Eric 

On 11/28/2019 at 6:59 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

We still don't know how much this is going to cost. The quality might be reflected in the price.

worst case scenario is a $10/month game pass subscription.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Just my opinion on the “default planes”.

1) The less, the better. More quantity usually comes with less quality. 
2) I hope MS and Asobo hold on to their mantra: That if they do something, then they’ll do it right!

Look at the TBM, for instance: as a someone who will soon get his real-world license, I’d actually hate to see planes like the TBM having very well done flight dynamics but a poorly implemented Garmin. Of course I’ll train for real life in the sim, I don’t get why people here always laugh about the some of us reading the POH because it’s “a game”... You know, it’s not! There’re plenty of real world pilots explaining their job with, for instance, the FSLabs. Would they do this with some “arcady” game? No.

Hopefully MS and Asobo will get some of their planes right. Them including an A320 and a 747-8i making me already doubt that a little—see 1). And for the (majority here, I’m not that word not allowed) casual “gamers” here: They can always allow to “dial down” the difficulty level with a deeply simulated plane, but they’re not able to “dial up” the level of realism for a poorly implemented one. And that’s what I’m a little bit afraid of...

No Tech Alpha access, yet, and no clue of what’s going to happen beyond the stunning stuff they showed us so far. It’s a dream coming true and I hope they won’t mess it up with the default planes... There will always be infinite space for 3PDs, so that a couple of really well done default planes wouldn’t hurt. 😉

Edited by maggussje
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Brandon0110 said:

worst case scenario is a $10/month game pass subscription.

And why is that?? You also pay this amount of money for Spotify, Netflix, HBO and god-knows-what. 
Them streaming content to us means costs for servers and bandwidth to be constantly available for us. 
If you were running a business like this, would you provide everything for free for your customers...?

Edited by maggussje
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, maggussje said:

Just my opinion on the “default planes”.

1) The less, the better. More quantity usually comes with less quality. 
2) I hope MS and Asobo hold on to their mantra: That if they do something, then they’ll do it right!

+1

Just one default aircraft per aircraft category is more than enough to get us all started. Do these right and leave the rest for third parties or later updates.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Upvote 2

Asobo, please feel free to include as many first party aircraft as you wish. Some of us rather enjoy choice.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Chris