Sign in to follow this  
DaWu

Nobody's asking for VR

Spencer admitted that some of the decision was based on cold hard cash, as “nobody’s selling millions and millions” of VR units.

On August 16th, 2018, Sony announced that PlayStation VR had sold-through more than 3 million units and 21.9 million games worldwide as of August 16, 2018. As of 3 March 2019, PlayStation VR has sold-through more than 4.2 million units.

Hmmmmmmm.........

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

To all the naysayers, get used to it. VR is happening and its market appeal is much bigger than something like Track-IR, which is basically stone-age technology at this point.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

.....if you want 1% of your potential customers to buy your product.

Surely you know better than Valve or Gabe Newell himself.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Upvote 4

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I can understand resistance from general crowd who has not tried VR or has just tried bad VR, but I don’t understand the reaction against it from simmers. Isn’t VR the ultimate goal that really puts us inside of whatever we are trying to simulate? Don't you want the new MSFS a big step closer to that goal?

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

A surprising number of luddites on Avsim who remain VR sceptics despite the evidence.

Research discussed in general media today predicted 1 in 4 houses woukd have an HMD by 2021. Sony has now sold over 4.2 million units of their VR headsets (as of 2019).

This is hardly a niche product. Avsim and PMDG are niche markets/products.

Hundreds of thousands of people will want to see the world of MSFS through a VR headset, compared with a couple of thousand who will buy the NGXu.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

4 hours ago, DaWu said:

Nobody's asking for VR, thats what Microsofts Phil Spencer (head of xbox and gaming at MS) said

And here is my concern. The very few crying so loud that Asobo made VR a priority taking time away from real important stuff like ATC, AI or similar.

Firstly, that's not what he said. He's said, to paraphrase, that XBox customers are not asking for VR as they don't associate the XBox brand with VR.

Secondly, how do you know that "time is being taken away" from anything in Asobo? ATC and AI might be nearly done for all we know. They may have just recruited a few developers to look at VR that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Asobo have obviously internally decided that VR is a higher priority than seasons. I'm sure this forum doesn't weigh that heavily in their development roadmap decisions, and it's based on many, many factors.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

...and now VR posts are being “quarantined” is a separate forum, because some guy started a “nobody wants VR” thread??

VR talk is just people expressing their speculations and wishes for an upcoming sim.

Are we going to have a “Seasons in MSFS 2020” subforum as well??

Notwithstanding that some people clearly despise the thought of flying with an HMD, it seems silly to have a separate VR forum for a sim that doesn’t currently have VR! 

• Like 5

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

29 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

...and now VR posts are being “quarantined” is a separate forum, because some guy started a “nobody wants VR” thread??

VR talk is just people expressing their speculations and wishes for an upcoming sim.

Are we going to have a “Seasons in MSFS 2020” subforum as well??

Notwithstanding that some people clearly despise the thought of flying with an HMD, it seems silly to have a separate VR forum for a sim that doesn’t currently have VR! 

The difference is, everyone will want/appreciate seasons or ATC, while VR is for people who already have headsets or have a PC capable of doing VR justice, I might in the future go VR, but at the moment the features that are present in the real world are the most important additional features.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

42 minutes ago, eaim said:

The difference is, everyone will want/appreciate seasons or ATC, while VR is for people who already have headsets or have a PC capable of doing VR justice, I might in the future go VR, but at the moment the features that are present in the real world are the most important additional features.

And therein lay the hazards of speaking for "everyone".

I actually don't care about seasons for instance, and don't use ATC.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, eaim said:

I don't give a rats about seasons tbh though I don't have some weird opposition to it either.

ATC is important in a flight sim IMO but in 2020 a PC flight sim or race sim without VR support is a strange choice.

Edited by Mucker
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, eaim said:

Hence my joke about a forum for discussing seasons. I don’t care about seasons at all - if you want orthoscenery, you’re not getting proper seasons - yet some people seem hung up on them.

This forum just exists because VR and the discussion of the topic seems to really upset some people. I find the season discussion pointless, but i’m not trying to get those who care put in isolation.

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

And therein lay the hazards of speaking for "everyone".

I actually don't care about seasons for instance, and don't use ATC.....

Yep, I doubt i’d use the in-sim ATC either, unless they do something radically different from every sim that’s been created to date. Pilotedge, vatsim, vox atc or pilot2atc is what i’ll expect to be using.

I’m not under the delusion that everyone wants VR. But I think that it’s a core part of modern simulation, and attempts to put it in a separate box are misguided.

Random edit: just flew Hobart - Launceston - Avalon - Brisbane in the NGXu while this discussion was ongoing. All three flights 100% VR, just some time with the HMD off when on the ground to post on Avsim and drink some coffee! (Its 2:51 am, but worth it). 🙂

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 7

Oz

Just found this out, 2 breeds here, VR folks that dont use ATC or Seasons, and the other ones who use ATC and Seasons but no VR.

Interesting! But that leaves one question unanswered, snoring bears in VR, yes or not? 🎅

2 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

Just found this out, 2 breeds here, VR folks that dont use ATC or Seasons, and the other ones who use ATC and Seasons but no VR.

Interesting! But that leaves one question unanswered, snoring bears in VR, yes or not? 🎅

Hi Ned, I think you’ll find many of us use ATC, but “proper” ATC, not the lame, default-sim stuff.

And I bet we don’t have anything against seasons, we just know how ortho works!

As for the bears - uh, I could do without that, but whatever. 🙂

Oz

I use Pro-Atc on VR and quite happy with the overall experience. I´d be somehow disappointed if MSFS2020 does not have at least a similar ATC.

Seasons, I´ve never used them and can live without them, but I have to confess that lately I´ve been quite interested with the idea of a landing in a snowy northern europe with MSFS2020 graphics.

And talking about disappointments, I find quite disturbing the witch hunt against VR that I perceive in this forum. They talk about a constant whining of VR users when the only constant whining is to attack VR from some users (like the OP) I´ve never seen that on other forums where VR is accepted, no matter if you like it or not (name it DCS, Il2-Sturmovik, P3D etc..). 

I don´t really understand what people are so afraid of. Anyone can help me with that? It´s like those oldtimes when people were afraid of quitting their horses cause cars where coming.

Oh no, I´m not coming back to watch a simulator from a 2D flat screen like a small window to a flat world...(or..flat earth)

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by chass32
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

There are two kinds of simmers, those who only fly in VR and those who have never tried it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero