Sign in to follow this  
Radial9

PMDG 737NGXu Questions

First off... Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! I hope this day finds you with much to be thankful for and are enjoying this day with friends and family.

I'm giving serious thought to buying the 737NGXu. I have some questions about the new EFB that is included. I don't own or fly any other PMDG aircraft with the EFB.

1. Are the PMDG checklists available through the new EFB in the cockpit?

2. If they are, are they viewed by zooming into the EFB in it's permanent position in the cockpit and then moving your viewpoint to accomplish the task? Are the checklist items readable on the EFB in a view position that would allow to accomplish the item, or does one have to move around the cockpit after reading each item, either through a Chaseplane view or TrackIR? I know as I become more familiar with the going through the lists I they will become "second nature" and the EFB item would just be a formality to ensure the item is done, but getting there is going to take some serious time and I wish to know what I am getting into view and flow wise.

3. I now use a PDF on a second monitor to go through checklists and am hopeful the EFB has enough usability to discontinue the use of a separate PDF. Is that a safe assumption?

4. Down the road after the checklist and flows become more familiar, can I import my own checklists or other docs into the 737NGXu EFB?

5. I see there are no 2D panel pop ups. Can the EFB display be moved to my second monitor?

Thanks for any feedback here. Greatly appreciated. I keep putting off making the transition from the Q400, which I just REALLY like to fly, to the 737. But I need to get his done. Now with the 737NGXu, I feel like I have a new 24 month sure bet window with the 737 and P3D before the 800 pound Gorilla alters the universe. Bill Gatus of Borg. "You will be assimilated!"

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by Radial9

11 minutes ago, Radial9 said:

Now with the 747NGXu

I guess it's a typo, but I have a feeling you've just made some folks sweat. 😉

1. There are no checklists like on the 777 or 747-8 that you go through on the displays because the 737 doesn't have this feature in the real world (if that's what you mean by PMDG checklists).

2. You can use the EFB in its fixed position in the cockpit or pop it up as a 2D screen.

3. Yes. You can stuff all the documents you want (PDF format) into the EFB folder in the PMDG directory and then view them on the EFB. You can scroll, zoom in and out, ...

4. See 3.

5. No idea where that assumption is coming from (I've read that several times by now) but the NGXu has all the 2D pop ups (screens and panels) that the NGX had. Yes, haven't tried myself but AFAIK it can be moved to another screen.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

9 hours ago, threegreen said:

5. No idea where that assumption is coming from (I've read that several times by now) but the NGXu has all the 2D pop ups (screens and panels) that the NGX had. Yes, haven't tried myself but AFAIK it can be moved to another screen.

I think folks are conflating the old 2D cockpit (The one you get when you pressed Shift - A while in virtual cockpit mode in the NGX) with the smaller 2D popup windows like the FMCs, navigation displays, radio stack, etc.. In the NGXu the old 2D cockpit view appears without the instrument panel. Same as you got in the NGX if you went into the 2D cockpit and pressed Shift-1 to turn off the panel. Superman view, I call it...

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Actually, there is an iQRH by Boeing available on iPad for 737(and onther model), very similar to 777/748 one, just no closed loop item or auto annoced NNC.

While you could download it on Appstore, you need your realworld complany to provide the checklist data, otherwise it's just a demo version.

I wonder if it could be in NGXu's EFB, it's not there yet.

Edited by C2615

Thank you threegreen for taking a few moments to answer my questions. Greatly appreciated! I went ahead and pulled the trigger yesterday on the purchase.

Good to know I can place my existing checklist into the EFB and have it on my second monitor. I have only made a brief overview of the manual docs. The Intro and Tutorial 1 give no mention at all to the EFB, unless I missed it. Tutorial 2 PDF goes over EFB Navigraph chart use only, unless again I missed it. Both FCOM volumes appear to be duplicates of the old 737NGX, unchanged, at least by looking at the copyright info and a quick run through.

Little document on the EFB use for a user who has no prior experience with an EFB in a PMDG aircraft. I'm surprised by that. I'm sure I will figure it out all in due course.It would be nice if I did not have to fire up my AiviaSoft EFB if I can get all the necessary info and calculations from the PMDG EFB.

Thanks again!

44 minutes ago, Radial9 said:

Little document on the EFB use for a user who has no prior experience with an EFB in a PMDG aircraft. I'm surprised by that.

Agree with you.  Would like to find a tutorial or a manual that tells me how to operate the EFB.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

3 hours ago, SAX702 said:

Would like to find a tutorial or a manual that tells me how to operate the EFB.

In the Prepar3D V4 Directory goto PMDG, then EFB Documents Library and click on PMDG EFB Manual.

• Like 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10