Sign in to follow this  
GHD

Importing FS2004 Stuff into FSX?

Is there any easy way to use the FS2004 planes and scenery in FSX? Can they be aliased somehow? What about the gauges? Can we just copy the whole FS2004 Gauges folder into the FSX Gauges folder? Thanks, regards, BobF.

Im getting some small airport scenery to work fine in FSX.CYQM CYFC and testing more (CYSJ CYHZ)UT Canada works a bit but having unsightly elevation variation problems around some rivers, and double beach lines BUT not having any good luck with aircraft.allen

Hi. Thanks. The A/C are a little tricky with the panel gauges, effects, etc. So far the one that I imported works OK (Carendo T-34). I don't know whether to just copy all of the FS9 gauges and effects into FSX or not. Regards, BobF.

>Hi. Thanks. The A/C are a little tricky with the panel>gauges, effects, etc. So far the one that I imported works OK>(Carendo T-34). I don't know whether to just copy all of the>FS9 gauges and effects into FSX or not. Regards, BobF.Bob, that would be a "Very Bad Idea", since there are quite likely many "FS98" style gauges in your current FS9 gauges folder that simply won't work to begin with, and will simply clog up your new FSX gauges folder with useless garbage... ;)The best approach is slow and cautioUs, testing each aircraft after import...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The easiest way to check an FS9 aircraft in FSX is to create a temporary folder, copy the aircraft to this folder then copy all it's gauges to its panel folder. Add a new entry in the FSX.CFG [Main] section something like:SimObjectPaths.6=N:FS9Aircraftwhere the number after the dot is the next one in sequence.George

Hi George. I assume the folder has to be in the FSX SimObjects folder and that the "N" represents the name of the folder. Is this correct? Can the one folder contain helos and aircraft? Thanks and best regards, Bob.

No Bob, the folder can be anywhere, in my case it is on another drive: Directory of N:FS9Aircraft07/10/2006 15:31

Guest slydon

I read microsoft realease and it is stated in there that fsx is backward compatible to fs9. If that is true how come there is a problem with fs9 gauges? I have installed about 3 planes but I get either no gauges or 50 percent. It appears that fsx can't read the gauge files. That, to me is not backward compatible.

The aircraft you're trying to import probably uses some gauges that were originally programmed for FS98. Since they worked up til and including FS9, no one saw the need to upgrade them. An excellent resource for FSX would be a list of aircraft/panels that used only guages that are compatible with FSX.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Hi George. Does this slow down FSX when the aircraft and gauges are somewhere else, even possibly on another drive? Is this faster or better than just copying all the A/C and gauges from FS9 into FSX? I have lots of planes and gauges I'd like in FSX. Doing this one at a time will take forever, especially figuring out which gauges I need to transfer. Any thoughts? Thanks and best regards, Bob.

Hi Jon. Thanks for the reply. That's an excellent idea. I wish there was a list. Maybe Avsim will setup such a topic thread. Regards, BobF.

Oops, multiple post.George

Oops again, that is 3 times I've tried to post.George

Hi Bob,I'm currently writing a program to identify FS9 aircraft which use FS98 type gauges. Unfortunately, no one can tell me how to identify such gauges by inspecting the gau files so it uses the panel.cfg to find any entries which have/don't have a '!' in the gauge'nn' lines (this isn't always sufficient).I can't see how anyone can produce a list of compatible/incompatible aircraft since each user will have a subset of all of the available aircraft.Having aircraft on a separate drive could increase the efficiency of FSX depending on whether other files on the drive are being accessed. I have always considered FS9 to be too restrictive in requiring that all aircraft should be in a fixed folder.George