Sign in to follow this  
GHD

Importing FS2004 Stuff into FSX?

Hi. George. I'd like the program when it's done, and I'm sure others would too. It would help a lot to find the gauges easier than having to go through all the panel.cfg's. Best regards, BobF.

Guest slydon

Then you are saying that the gauges can't be made usable, right? If you look in the gauge file fs9 most of the gauges are fs98. They are called gauge files. The ones that are called cabinet files ARE compatible (at least the ones I tried were). Seems like there should be a way to convert the others to cabinet files. But, I am not computer savvy enought to know.

>> If you look in the gauge file fs9 most of the gauges>> are fs98. They are called gauge files.Sorry Don, that isn't correct. All .gau files are not FS98 type, see for example A340.gau.George

H George. I made a folder on one of my other drives with all of the FS9 planes.I added the change in the fsx.cfg to point to it. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to rename all of the titles that are similar! I have numerous planes with the same titles, per FSX, and get a lot of error statements. If you are good at programming how about a program that will easily rename all of the similar titles? I have yet to add all of the gauges. This will be a slow process. Thanks, best regards, BobF.

>Then you are saying that the gauges can't be made usable,>right? If you look in the gauge file fs9 most of the gauges>are fs98. They are called gauge files. The ones that are>called cabinet files ARE compatible. As George pointed out, that is incorrect.FS98 style gauges are first of all "single gauges." FS2k & beyond are all "multi-gauges," (or at least are compiled with the multi-gauge header!) meaning that one .gau file will contain ALL of the individual gauges used on a panel. Not only are they easier to program, they are simply a lot more efficient because they can all "talk to each other" without comsuming memory resources to set up 100's of "shared variables..." ;)If a person wanted to write a program to determine whether a gauge is FS98, it's "simply" a matter of parsing the "Properties" section of the .gau file for the words "Flight Simulator 98 Module..." ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have been able to move scenery over to FSX all seems to be working except it appears we will need flatten or exclude bgl's to remove the default scenery.I have imported SimFlyers Las Vegas, and Phoenix airports everything is showing up plus the default FSX airports. I tried to add the exclude line from FS9 but no go.I also added Shing's Las Vegas 2006 scenery again all it working but the default Las Vegas strip scenery is showing up. Again I think an exclude bgl file will be needed.I have trid planes (IFDG Airbus A319 & 320's) work, I will be trying my AI this week.John

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

Thanks Bill, that's exactly what I was looking for:F i l e D e s c r i p t i o n F l i g h t S i m u l a t o r 9 8 G a u g eGeorge

many designers side stepped the fs9 fds shoe horning older gauges into fs9 (remember it was backward compatible too) the problem is the future! fs9 fds predicated this and advised against using these gauges. fsx will not allow these gauges and will give as many error messages as there are gauges at the very least back your orignal gauge file if you don't follow the opines in this thread gregg d

I found out that AITM V2.0 is great for identifying similar names. You can use the aircraft editor to rename the titles. Now if there was some easy way to find all of the gauges it would be GREAT! Regards, BobF.

Guest slydon

I actually didn't think I was correct. It was just a shot in the dark. I appreciate all the input about this. I DID find one plane that works without doing anything except copy and paste. That is the piper j3 cub. All the gauges come with it.

>If a person wanted to write a program to determine whether a>gauge is FS98, it's "simply" a matter of parsing the>"Properties" section of the .gau file for the words "Flight>Simulator 98 Module..." ;)Unfortunately Bill, gauges created with EasyGauge have no reference to the FS version.George

Guest slydon

I still say fsx is not backward compatible except maybe for some scenery. What good is a plane without gauges?Speaking of scenery, has anyone tried installing emma field in fsx? I love that program and it is all it's ever going to be because it is Lago and that portion of Lago is gone. Another question that my friend has is--- Is the sim compatible with easy scenery? Anybody know?

Guest dpc

Beg to differ. Poke around the screenshot forum and you'll see shots with planes ported over. I know from experience that Carendo's planes work, including gauges, and so does Aeroworx's B200. Dave

Don,I have 1280 aircraft in my FS9aircraft folder, 760 of these are totally compatible with FSX, 520 use FS98 type gauges.George

Hi George. Did you put the gauges in each panel folder or just copy all of the gauges into the gauges folder? Are you saying all of the FS98 gauges all work in FSX? Thanks, regards, BobF.