Sign in to follow this  
Rogen

FSUIPC5 question re: assigning an axis to trim

So... I've had FSUIPC5 installed for some time now, although essentually only because some aircraft I've purchased require it for functionality (meaning the non-registered version).

One thing I've found is my A2A a/c typically have conf ig options where I can assign an axis to trim i.e rudder trim, something that doesn't appear to be possible in P3D itself.

Would FSUIPC5 provide that sort of functionality in the registered version?

If so can anyone provide an example of what sort of configuration of FSUIPC5 is required to do so?

I'm just wanting to weigh up if it can and how much of challange would it be to configure a global rudder trim axis for all aircraft.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I use FSUIPC 5 to assign elevator,  rudder and aileron trim (using simple potentiometers via a leo bodnar usb board) which is seen by FSUIPC as a joystick axis.

FSUIPC has a joystick assignment tab which automatically recognises a joystick axis when the stick is moved. You have a choice of calibration directly or via FSUIPC. It is very simple box ticking and selection from drop down lists. A separate tab deals with sensitivity and reverse operation etc. Again simple box ticking.

The joystick assignment can be global or aircraft specific, by default it is global.

Using an axis for trim (ie a potentiometer in a joystick) will provide an ABSOLUTE trim position. Using auto pilot (or Saiteks Pitch trim panel ) alters the trim position RELATIVELY and can cause a surprise on final when switching off auto pilot for landing. FSUIPC also (in misc tab) has some settings to help mitigate this.

Gordon

Edited by hovercrafter
added information

9 hours ago, Rogen said:

So... I've had FSUIPC5 installed for some time now, although essentually only because some aircraft I've purchased require it for functionality (meaning the non-registered version).

One thing I've found is my A2A a/c typically have conf ig options where I can assign an axis to trim i.e rudder trim, something that doesn't appear to be possible in P3D itself.

Would FSUIPC5 provide that sort of functionality in the registered version?

If so can anyone provide an example of what sort of configuration of FSUIPC5 is required to do so?

I'm just wanting to weigh up if it can and how much of challange would it be to configure a global rudder trim axis for all aircraft.

Cheers

It is a bit tricky assigning trim in FSUIPC for some A2A aircraft like the Cessnas, and Pipers, because the trim behavior is not linear. The trim moves very slow at first and then speeds up which makes it difficult to fly adjusting proper trim. I use the A2A config program for trim only, and everything else use FSUIPC. Many discussions of this on the A2A forum. To do this you need to leave P3D controls activated, and just delete all P3D control assignments. 

I don't use an axis trim, just up and down buttons for elevator trim. Works like electric trim. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

For aircraft that do not have electric trim in real world, I use the "friction" axis lever on my Thrustmaster throttle as elevator trim using FSUIPC paid version. It is detected as an axis and can be assigned appropriately. As @Bobsk8 pointed out, some of the A2A aircraft do not use the standard trim commands but there is the workaround he pointed out.

Thanks folks!

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D