Sign in to follow this  
chass32

What we want (in VR)

Hi,

I thought that we could have a similar thread as we have have in the main MSFS formum but in this case, VR only (Hi, Asobo-Microsoft).

There are many ways to implement improvements and here we can give some good ideas to  developers so they could get a hint about what the VR community wants in the new MSFS.

I´ll start:

-Having the possibility of a walk around check before getting into the cockpit is a must in VR. Of course you should have the chance to walk outside the plane, through airports etc.. I like the way xplane does it, probably much better than the weird moving of the avatar in P3D.

-MSFS VR should have the possibility of reading charts and manuals inside the VR Cockpit, and no dependent (only) of avionics.

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by chass32
  • Like 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Of the top of my head

Constant 60 fps minimum

Great graphics and good antialising without shimmers

Intuitive ui within vr mode and ability to use the new virtual checklists within vr

Ability to save default cockpit seating positions

Walk around mode. Either outside the plane on the ground or in the case of larger airliners walk around inside the plane

I would love to see a feature to bring in additional windows into my VR view. This would allow the user to see other windows on the user's computer that are related to the flight like navigational data or airport information, or just watch Youtube while flying.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Good performance and good graphics without shimmering or jaggies.  All cockpit items and instruments clearly readable.

A virtual kneeboard to hold charts/checklists/other documents that is easily customizeable - support of pdf, doc, etc - can be turned on/off with a single keypress

Ability to bring other windows in and pin them anywhere in your VR view.  I'm mainly talking about a web browser view in order to view charts from skyvector and approach charts/airport diagrams from AirNav.com - I use this every flight and it would be a paint to have to take the headset off to read my charts so much. - also can be turned on/off with a single keypress

In my view these are the main things that a good VR implementation would need in the simulator.  Everything else would just be gravy.  These things are important for VR to be successful.  The walk around feature would be nice but it's not a necessity at least right now.

- Brandon

2 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

I would love to see a feature to bring in additional windows into my VR view. This would allow the user to see other windows on the user's computer that are related to the flight like navigational data or airport information, or just watch Youtube while flying.

Yes! IFR plates in the game...like a virtual kneeboard so we can get all our info in the cockpit without having to exit the game or take off our VR helmets. Fully functional GPS and ATC would be cool. Everything done with virtual hands or mouse, and eventually hand tracking.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Theboot100 said:

Of the top of my head

Constant 60 fps minimum

Great graphics and good antialising without shimmers

Intuitive ui within vr mode and ability to use the new virtual checklists within vr

Ability to save default cockpit seating positions

Walk around mode. Either outside the plane on the ground or in the case of larger airliners walk around inside the plane

That Will depend entirely on your specs

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

What ASOBO should do:

1. Download XP11

2. See what LR has done as an inspiration. 

• Upvote 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

What ASOBO should do:

1. Download XP11

2. See what LR has done as an inspiration. 

I like some aspects of Aerofly’s implementation as well (touching buttons with your finger).

Having said that, i’m going through a PMDG/P3D VR phase at the moment, so i’ll say that even a basic VR implementation is still valuable.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I have never flown with VR, and I see some possible issues with it if not solved properly. I need to make notes during flight and I need to have access to all maps and manuals. Maps and manuals may be easily solved but I have no idea how to make notes inside VR cockpit since I prefer quick handwritten notes for ATIS, taxi instructions, radio channels, squawk codes and such.

Any ideas for a good implementation?

AMD Ryzen 5800x3d | 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | RTX 3080 | 3440x1440

16 hours ago, katsa said:

I have never flown with VR, and I see some possible issues with it if not solved properly. I need to make notes during flight and I need to have access to all maps and manuals. Maps and manuals may be easily solved but I have no idea how to make notes inside VR cockpit since I prefer quick handwritten notes for ATIS, taxi instructions, radio channels, squawk codes and such.

Any ideas for a good implementation?

Your point brings up the same thing that I thought about but forgot to add above:

Support for a pen device that you could write notes on your VR kneeboard.  Seems like something that would be easy to implement.  Obviously it would require the purchase of a pen device but having the ability to write notes in VR would solve that problem.

Brandon

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thetford569 said:

Your point brings up the same thing that I thought about but forgot to add above:

Support for a pen device that you could write notes on your VR kneeboard.  Seems like something that would be easy to implement.  Obviously it would require the purchase of a pen device but having the ability to write notes in VR would solve that problem.

Brandon

The problem is that you’d have to find the pen and then find the tablet without being able to see them. Unless you’re proposing a new device that is tracked in vr, which is unlikely to happen, and would still be unwielldy.

Long story short, take your hmd off and write down the ifr clearance if you need to. Or - even better - type it out into a notepad file. You can then easily switch to desktop mode (with oculus at least) and read it as needed.

There are a couple of problems with complex IFR flights, but they can be overcome and, when balanced against the much greater immersion, it’s well worth doing so.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

You are over-complicating things. Just get your plane setup and IFR clearances in 2D and activate VR for taxi and take-off.

Alternatively, pretty much every plane in XP11 has Avitab, which can be used not only for Navigraph charts, but also for note taking with the keyboard. In P3D, the EFB might be used as well. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 11/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, chass32 said:

-Having the possibility of a walk around check before getting into the cockpit is a must in VR. Of course you should have the chance to walk outside the plane, through airports etc.. I like the way xplane does it, probably much better than the weird moving of the avatar in P3D.

if its big enough maybe possible to walk inside the plane too?

i would love such feature, i use the standard xbox one controller for walking around in P3D.

I really stand up and turn for real, with one button click i enter the cockpit,

and in reality i sit down then.

Seeing the plane at 1:1 Scale in your room is still jaw dropping even after 7 years with VR!

• Like 3