Sign in to follow this  
Scottoest

Unrest in the Sim Community

True, what will be, will be...

For me, MSFS 2020 installed and running on my new 65 inch screen will be an extraordinary gift that I hope to be grateful for, since if ever it be so, another new year will have been given once again in order to enjoy it.

May "MSFS 2020" (or whatever it will be called) be the first of a new breed of sophisticated "flight imitation" versions released over the next few years that blows (yours and) my simulated socks off! 

Tis indeed the best of times for this hobby!

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer :smile:

Stephen

• Like 7

I think you are seeing a group of people making all sorts of claims about something which does not exist.  There are those of us who have been disappointed many times before who are skeptical about these claims.  I for one will wait for it to be released, and let others be beta testers for the new flight simulator.  After all, Microsoft has a long long history of allowing its customers act as beta testers for its products.  Once, the product has been stabilized, all of the numerous bugs ironed out, developers are on board and releasing most of the addons and sceneries I want, I will take a look at it.

Until then, it's all lies and propaganda.

20 minutes ago, tjstreak said:

Heh, I think you are a prime example of what the original post is referring to. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

22 minutes ago, tjstreak said:

Exactly this is a point of view I don't get and will never get.

This is a great thread by the way, I enjoy reading all the well thought through and well put arguments. Keep it up chaps! 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

I think there are two groups.

1. Those who are happy with their current sims and need MSFS to prove itself.

2. Those who are desperate for a new sim and look at MSFS as being something incredible.

All there is to it.

• Like 1

Mark Daniels

22 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Heh, I think you are a prime example of what the original post is referring to. 

It's self preservation. He sounds like my missus. She always takes a pessimistic view on the principal of if she's right, she's not disappointed. If she's wrong, it's a pleasant surprise. I think she has a point.

• Like 3

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

6 hours ago, JonP01 said:

I do not qualify to use P3D

With the thoughts and prayers of everyone on this forum, you may someday qualify.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

4 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

It's self preservation. He sounds like my missus. She always takes a pessimistic view on the principal of if she's right, she's not disappointed. If she's wrong, it's a pleasant surprise. I think she has a point.

Problem with that approach is, it's mentally draining to be around and listen to for a lot of people. It's a defeatist attitude that kills hope and optimism, feelings you can enjoy and live on for a long time, whereas any subsequent disappointment should only be but a footnote, yet the eternal pessimists always see it has a grand defeat that needs to be shelved internally and harboured for decades. It's okay to be optimistic and hopeful 🙂

• Like 11

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 hours ago, JonP01 said:

.... P3D is for professional training use only as per the licence conditions and the MSFS is for entertainment use only. That being the case, how can any user of one or the other be upset at the other's existence? For my own part, since I do not qualify to use P3D, I am over the moon that there is a new flight sim coming that I will legally be able to use! ....

:laugh:  God bless you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dal330200 said:

What I do know, is that everything that we've seen and heard from MSFS developers goes way beyond hype.  It's been backed up by detailed explanations and walkthroughs.  I really believe this will be the real deal upon release.  Sure there will be teething issues and plenty of problems and annoyances will arise, but I think that those will be fixed and this platform will be constantly updated and improved. 

Very well said, I was intrigued but a skeptic early on, but the openness and obvious enthusiasm  and competence of the FR/US team as seen through the vids and interviews cannot be ignored. As cannot be ignored the feedback of the many people who have tried it so far at Seattle and London.

The final product may have its weaknesses but we see the shaping up of a major project at the crossroad of about half a dozen of technologies. Putting it mildly, it is interesting to observe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I think a lot of the hostility to 3PDs after FS2020 was announced was due to Froogle's initial angry bombast against the new sim. He posted an absolutely furious video bitterly criticizing Microsoft for creating the new sim. He pouted for weeks that he "wasn't excited at all." He almost immediately deleted his initial video. And he has since recanted his evil ways. But that hostility got everything off to a very bad start between those of us excited about the sim and the holy and untouchable third-party sainthood.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

There are some great threads here and many of you have hit the nail on the head.

I remember the day I first bought Flight Simulator 95 then 98 then 2000 (that was hard on FPS but had a Concorde!,  FS 2004 which I loved some serious planes started to emerge and scenery and then FSX. Each time I was like a kid in the candy store we were pre internet days happier to please I think. We have come along way.

I was so depressed when ACES were disbanded and of course so grateful for P3D and 64 bit to keep me going as well as the most amazing 3rd party companies, PMDG,A2A etc etc so many to mention but funny 10 years later and we have a singular moment when technology has finally met the point where through serendipity hopefully we have a new very new and mind blowing change about to occur..... 2020 is going to be such an incredible start for this platform and I have to say these guys Asobo and Microsoft have not put a foot wrong quite the opposite there total transparency and openness is amazing and for one I REALLY hope ( I Know)  this will be a huge winner for them. Just talking with my nephews who are 14 years old they are excited about this new thing they have seen at E3 and cant wait. I reckon they could sell tens of millions of this and it will be a great decade for all of us ahead.

Granted as a third part developer I agree maybe they should have been in contact with them 6 months prior to the launch trailer so they could have had their sales or at least aligned there business plans but I have to say I imagine with all the new people coming to this platform next year they could have a great future ahead of them and the future is really bright.

Yes I have spent thousands on this hobby and will continue to do so as I love it so much but as we draw a close to the end of this year this new Microsoft Flight Simulator was one of the years highlights for me.

Roll on 2020 and cant wait personally. :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

Problem with that approach is, it's mentally draining to be around and listen to for a lot of people. It's a defeatist attitude that kills hope and optimism, feelings you can enjoy and live on for a long time, whereas any subsequent disappointment should only be but a footnote, yet the eternal pessimists always see it has a grand defeat that needs to be shelved internally and harboured for decades. It's okay to be optimistic and hopeful 🙂

I didn't say she shared it with anyone, she keeps it to herself. If she did go on about it I would have killed her by now. 35 years and counting. So far, so good. She does tend to go on about too many bloody dogs though. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Max50 said:

I think there are two groups.

1. Those who are happy with their current sims and need MSFS to prove itself.

2. Those who are desperate for a new sim and look at MSFS as being something incredible.

All there is to it.

I also think there are two groups.

1. Those who reduce arguments to simple, crude binaries (e.g. "happy" at one pole and "desperate" at the other).

2. Those who don't.

All there is to it.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rimshot said:

This is a great thread by the way, I enjoy reading all the well thought through and well put arguments. Keep it up chaps! 👍

It sure is! 

Here are modelled all the states of mind from the narcistic disillusioned cynic to the childishly delirious exuberant and most points in between.

There has always been more being displayed about real human nature throughout these forums than ever was about aviation, real or imagined.

That is why I am hooked on AVSIM, even more than pretending to fly airplanes!

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer :smile:

Stephen

Edited by SpiritFlyer
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2