Sign in to follow this  
Scottoest

Unrest in the Sim Community

11 hours ago, sightseer said:

Orbx shot themselves in the foot imo.  requiring new versions of FTX Central just to buy/download stuff and that new version wont work with previously downloaded and backed up stuff...it just got tiring for me.  The TE GB looks great but Im not crazy about any of the US releases for XP.  Why should I buy these things?

Truer words were never spoken. I had a very positive view of ORBX until ORBX Central 4.0 was released. It completely destroyed the proper layering of scenery for me in P3D, and so trees and buildings were growing out of runways and rivers. It took me a full, frustrating week to fix everything. Now, I'm totally afraid to even touch ORBX Central again. So I'll be making no more purchases through it.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I wonder what kind of "unrest" would be generated if Lockheed Martin suddenly revealed P3Dv5 with 3D photogrammetric landscapes and backwards compatibility with P3Dv4 addons....

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

7 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I wonder what kind of "unrest" would be generated if Lockheed Martin suddenly revealed P3Dv5 with 3D photogrammetric landscapes and backwards compatibility with P3Dv4 addons....

Non existant scenario. Microsoft did this only because Bing is part of their company and have easy access to it.
LM doesn't. And even if it could do that, it woudn't justify the expense since for their simulation purposes (and not entertainment ones) the coverage of a city (multiple cities in this case) woudn't bring much value to them. Besides we saw the slow pace at which they have been going, implying it is a marginal investment and the amount of people involved is probably not high either. Now compare that to the >100 devs working just on MSFS..

• Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 minutes ago, france89 said:

Now compare that to the >100 devs working just on MSFS..

Well, the question is, does Osobo continue working on it after release for the lifespan of the product, or does it get handed back to Microsoft with a substantially reduced team for maintenance and periodic updates.  

28 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Well, the question is, does Osobo continue working on it after release for the lifespan of the product, or does it get handed back to Microsoft with a substantially reduced team for maintenance and periodic updates.  

Do we know the lifespan of the product? Did we know the lifespan of P3D also? Or DTG FSW? Or XP? It's all unknown to us, i think. Who knows!

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

There is no possible way for LM to match what we have seen so far from MS. Even with unlimited funds and actual access to all the data MS has they would still be years behind if they started now.

FS2020 can be defeated only by itself. It looks perfect in nearly all aspects and if they dont mess it up than there will be no space left for another civilian sim.

• Like 1

Lukas Dalton

6 minutes ago, DaWu said:

FS2020 can be defeated only by itself. It looks perfect in nearly all aspects and if they dont mess it up than there will be no space left for another civilian sim.

If looks could kill.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Not a thing, because it would still have all the problems of old and run like hot death, then you might as well use the other simulator with 3D Photogrammetry, that is actually rebuild from the ground up. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I doubt anyone would care if p3d v5 came out and was the same as msfs. Did anyone care about p3d v1 whilst it was basically the same as FSX? I think it was only when v2 came out that suddenly everyone became academics overnight. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, france89 said:

Do we know the lifespan of the product? Did we know the lifespan of P3D also? Or DTG FSW? Or XP? It's all unknown to us, i think. Who knows!

They have said many times over it's a 10 year life-cycle product

Edited by ErichB

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

We don't know the business model, crudely said where the money will come from. Initial price, subscription, DLC (addons and/or major upgrade à la P3D) ?  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 hours ago, David Mills said:

Truer words were never spoken. I had a very positive view of ORBX until ORBX Central 4.0 was released. It completely destroyed the proper layering of scenery for me in P3D, and so trees and buildings were growing out of runways and rivers. It took me a full, frustrating week to fix everything. Now, I'm totally afraid to even touch ORBX Central again. So I'll be making no more purchases through it.

I wouldn't.  They've resorted to making small sceneries to keep money rolling in while abandoning projects that they've promised the community for years.  It's ridiculous.  I've never liked Orbx or their bully-ish ways of dealing with customer support.  However, they are the only real game in town for P3D fundamentals like landclass.  That being said, I've bought the basics, but never bought anything else.  In X-plane, their scenery areas are too hard on systems, much more so than P3D in my opinion.  Furthermore, they're redundant as we can easily use orthos to get similar results for free, with a little bit of time and effort.  Not exactly, but pretty close. 

4 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

I doubt anyone would care if p3d v5 came out and was the same as msfs. Did anyone care about p3d v1 whilst it was basically the same as FSX? I think it was only when v2 came out that suddenly everyone became academics overnight. 

P3D v4 was the last purchase I will make from LM.  I never felt comfortable giving my money to a defense contractor to begin with, but trying to get developers to see the big picture in terms of what the community wants has been a fool's errand.  I ditched P3D earlier this year after 3 years, went to x-plane, and I'm going to ditch that too as soon as FS comes out simply because I'm tired of developers failing to produce a sim that the community has been screaming for.  Even during that horrible Q&A, there was very little detail in terms of how X-plane is going to move forward, so that gives me little hope that anything substantial is in the pipeline. 

Edited by dal330200

5 minutes ago, dal330200 said:

P3D v4 was the last purchase I will make from LM.  I never felt comfortable giving my money to a defense contractor to begin with, but trying to get developers to see the big picture in terms of what the community wants has been a fool's errand.  I ditched P3D earlier this year after 3 years, went to x-plane, and I'm going to ditch that too as soon as FS comes out simply because I'm tired of developers failing to produce a sim that the community has been screaming for.  Even during that horrible Q&A, there was very little detail in terms of how X-plane is going to move forward, so that gives me little hope that anything substantial is in the pipeline. 

Seems the name X-Plane was visionary.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 188AHC said:

I don't understand why you would think we would "lambast" someone for posting a list of their favorite developers. 

Well, I certainly would not do anything like that either! I did however spend a few hours basting my (leg of) lamb for Thanksgiving dinner...  :tongue:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator