Sign in to follow this  
edge33

The Humble fs9 setup

Hi guys, I wanted to share some thoughts and ask for your advices have about flightsim. I own a laptop with it 8th gen and uhd620 as Igpu, and I would like to do some flights with fs2004. With this setup I can maxout fs2004 with no issue. I would like to fly liners and do long hauls increasing the SIM rate when I am enroute, let's say I want to fly between London and las vegas, reducing the enrout time simulating at 8x. I don't have high expectations in terms of planes and addons. Can you guys suggest some b737 freeware that can simulate cold and dark and use FMC? I don't need the pmdg or ifly level of details. What about environment add-on? Are there freeware stuff that can increase graphics?

Too many questions, but here go some answers:

Regarding the B737:

- if you mean the old ones (737-200), there's only one option: Tinmouse. I haven't seen anyone yet that uses it with the Honeywell freeware FMC (honeywellfmc.zip), but should be doable. I used to fly it with CIVA INS.

- If you mean the NG, your best bet may be the TDS models with the panel from PS Panels (available here at the Library). I don't know a sound to recommend; I'm spoiled with the iFly offerings. Same FMC as above may work.

- If you mean the classics, maybe the HJG (well, Erick Cantú) offerings may work. I'd replace the panel with the one from PS Panels (also available here). I never tried so.

You didn't ask for, but I'm giving you another suggestion: since you'll be doing longhaul, try either the PA A380 (if you want a modern plane with VC and an attempt at FBW) or the RFP 742 (a classic).

Graphics: You'll need SweetFX or something similar, since your GPU won't trigger AA from the drivers.

Environment: there are lots of stuff: FS9 Evo (donationware, but worth it), Howard's mix, Real Environment Pro (look at it as a demo of REX), Pablo Díaz's clouds, etc.

That's just a start. If you keep looking, you'll be having lots of fun.

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Wow, Nice sir, a lot of good resources here.

I followed the video here:

Which of the Environment addon you mentioned should I add?

One more question, is there a free weather engine? the default fs2004 seems to be not working

I forgot to tell you there's another freeware environment utility: Envtex (is payware for FSX/P3D, but freeware for FS9). In my last days with FS9, that's what I used:
- Ground: FS9 Evo. Fly at night and see why.
- Water, sky and clouds: Envtex.
- Airport buildings: if you don't want to spend a dime, get AEU just for the airport buildings. Leave Envtex deal with runways and taxiways.
- Roads: OSM World for Europe and South America. There is an addon that gives city and town outlines for the whole world, but I can't remember its name.
- Weather: I switched continuously between FS Metar and FS Real WX.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.