Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Anyone running the latest AMD chips?

I've been on Intel for my last 5 or so builds (10+ years). I recently built a 9900K setup. Lots of press right now on how AMD is kicking Intel's a**. 

Just curious if anyone is running one of the latest high end AMD for comparison on P3D specifically. 

• Like 1

Great question! Would love to get some input on this...

BTW, how is you 9900K running in P3D?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

I have been combing the net for the same information but haven't really found much at all. I'm kind of fingering the trigger to order a Ryzen 3950X for my next build. I would guess that performance will be slightly lower than an overclocked 9900KS in P3D as it seems to prefer one or two cores and high clocks.

I am kind of hoping that multi core performance in MSFS will be good as the Ryzen absolutely murders Intel when it comes to multi threaded workloads.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

57 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

I've been on Intel for my last 5 or so builds (10+ years). I recently built a 9900K setup. Lots of press right now on how AMD is kicking Intel's a**.

AMD's kicking the living word not allowed out of Intel on:

Price, Value / performance, Multi-core performance, TDP values (real world usage), and Compatibility of legacy mobos with newer CPUs (sharing the same socket from 1st gen to next year's gen).

iSGv7LV.jpg

However, you can rest easy, Intel user.
The 9900K and especially the 9900KS comfortably beats Ryzen at gaming and single thread performance. Being able to boost up to and sustain 5.2 GHz is a massive capability that AMD can't match.

I know it's not P3D, but below is a benchmarker's comprehensive results for XP11

dxtYfCf.jpg

I'm running a 3700X and a 3-monitor setup on a GTX 1070.
I can hold a minimum of 25 FPS on final to FlyTampa's KLAS (I've turned off most FT's extra road traffic), but run high amounts of AI aircraft and these P3D settings (including cloud and sim objects shadows cast) https://imgur.com/icle51G

The Zen 2 CPUs hold up well to Intel CPUs' performance. Certainly a lot better than Zen and Zen+ did, but Intel still is top dog for flight sims.

Edited by F737NG
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, Le Français said:

Great question! Would love to get some input on this...

BTW, how is you 9900K running in P3D?

I have the 9900K running at 4.9 on all cores.  Works great for me.

P3D is heavily Core 0 dependent.

So, with my 9900K if I turn off HT thus increasing Core 0 speed at the expense of # of threads that can be executed in parallel my frame rate goes up by nearly 25%.

Although P3D does utilises multiple cores it does not scale as well as XPlane. In my current sim setup Core 0 is maxed at 95-100% with the other cores near 50%.

I would not expect any FPS improvement with a Ryzen 3900X, maybe even a drop.

668449-core-i9-9900k-vs-ryzen-9-3900x-co

Edited by DellyPilot
  • Like 1

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

1 hour ago, dexthom said:

I have the 9900K running at 4.9 on all cores.  Works great for me.

Try bumping up to 5.1 with HT off and increase your DDR4 memory speed too, gave me a pretty big nice FPS increase.

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

3 hours ago, F737NG said:

The 9900K and especially the 9900KS comfortably beats Ryzen at gaming and single thread performance. Being able to boost up to and sustain 5.2 GHz is a massive capability that AMD can't match.

This!  I built my first AMD based system in '94 and ran only AMD systems until 2009.  In all those 25 years Intel has always beaten AMD based on overclockability... always!  However, amongst all the good news from AMD the past couple of years is their surpassing Intel in IPC... that alone makes me even more excited about the Ryzens.  But until AMD chips can be overclocked at or near the speeds of the Intel chips, team Blue will hold an advantage... and some of us will continue to pay a premium for Intel chips.

Greg

It looks like for AMD you will be paying premium for the top end 3095X £750 but you cant get one and you need to buy a cooler not included.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, F737NG said:

AMD's kicking the living word not allowed out of Intel on:

Price, Value / performance, Multi-core performance, TDP values (real world usage), and Compatibility of legacy mobos with newer CPUs (sharing the same socket from 1st gen to next year's gen).

iSGv7LV.jpg

However, you can rest easy, Intel user.

I know it's not P3D, but below is a benchmarker's comprehensive results for XP11

dxtYfCf.jpg

I'm running a 3700X and a 3-monitor setup on a GTX 1070.
I can hold a minimum of 25 FPS on final to FlyTampa's KLAS (I've turned off most FT's extra road traffic), but run high amounts of AI aircraft and these P3D settings (including cloud and sim objects shadows cast) https://imgur.com/icle51G

The Zen 2 CPUs hold up well to Intel CPUs' performance. Certainly a lot better than Zen and Zen+ did, but Intel still is top dog for flight sims.

I'd imagine that the AMD ryzen will dramatically improve with Vulcan on Xplane 11 as AMD didn't cope too well in OpenCL.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Eaim,

2 hours ago, eaim said:

I'd imagine that the AMD ryzen will dramatically improve with Vulcan on Xplane 11 as AMD didn't cope too well in OpenCL.

I noted, gleefuilly, I might add, (see my specs below) that on the latest XPlane Q & A, Ben (I think) said that he expected up to a 60% performance increase with Vulkan.

I am hoping that the alleged engine/s update with P3D (has to come now with MSFS on the horizon) it could well be the same.

I will go further and say that when MSFS does eventuate in its final form, we will find three sims with fairly similar capabilities. This is, of course, subject to survival ,which has been discussed in another topic.

A bright future ahead for AMD Ryzen and the new platforms, and, whilst Intel has the lead in single core performance for flight sims, I do not think they will not retain that lead with the new platforms.

Dont think for one minute, that I am saying Intel will be shabby with the new engines.. I just think AMD is going to be slightly better. I am now wishing I had waited for the 3950x... damnit.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

My machine runs Star Citizen on max @ 40 fps. As I am now only interested in FS and as it will use all cores, I am confident that my Ryzen 7 3700X will be more than capable.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!