Sign in to follow this  
lennie

How many "real" simmers are out there?

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has an estimate of how many real simmers there are in the world? Excluding Mars or other planets. And excluding the "kids and others" that just consider it a game to see how many times they can crash into a building.

Anyone hazard a guess??

It's the answer to everything.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Not as many as you think when you see threads like " I will not fly again till MSFS is released " 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

How do you define a 'real' simmer?

• Upvote 5

The flightsim community is quite large and varied. I AM including all the folks, young and old, who like to "crash". "Serious" as a description of dedication to the hobby is not a very robust or informative label.

Perhaps a better way to ask such a question is, "I wonder how many flightsimmers spend a majority of their hobby time using, studying or reading about flightsims?"

Edited by yurei

My definition of a "real" simmer:  The Captain and First Officer on a very real 747 have passed-out and are not responding to ATC.  The flight attendant makes an very calm announcement asking if anyone has experience piloting a plane.  You are on that plane. As a real simmer, do you volunteer to give it a go?   

Edited by overspeed3

6 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

My definition of a "real" simmer:  The Captain and First Officer on a very real 747 have passed-out and are not responding to ATC.  The flight attendant makes an very calm announcement asking if anyone has experience piloting a plane.  You are on that plane. As a real simmer, do you volunteer to give it a go?   

So does a real simmer give it a go or not? Don't quite understand your definition.

• Upvote 1

I would also like to know what you mean by the term "real simmer".  There are so many aspects to flying, weather, navigation, using the instruments, GPS units, flight planning as well as the actual flying of the plane.  There are also many types of flying, everything from ultralights to bush planes, to small private planes, commuter planes up to the largest passenger jets.   I've been a flight simmer since about 1991.  My existing FS logbook goes back to 2000 and I've carried it over from FS 2000 to FSX.  I enjoy the navigation including the using the instruments and GPS units and the challenges of flying in real weather. nothing like flying in a Canadian winter in minus 30 and keeping the plane from icing up. Without actually flying a real plane this is about as real as it gets for me.

• Upvote 1

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Really hope gatekeepers go away once MFS hits gold. Pretty cringe-inducing to read this stuff on a daily basis.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

Maybe start with some definitions of what is or is not a real simmer.  I'll take a stab at what IS NOT:

A real simmert does not call this a GAME.

A real simmer does not start a flight with his aircraft on the runway, engine(s) running, jumps in, slams the throttles forward and takes off flying in outside spot view for the whole flight.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 minute ago, charliearon said:

Maybe start with some definitions of what is or is not a real simmer.  I'll take a stab at what IS NOT:

A real simmert does not call this a GAME.

A real simmer does not start a flight with his aircraft on the runway, engine(s) running, jumps in, slams the throttles forward and takes off flying in outside spot view for the whole flight.

see post above.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

I am debating whether to buy some popcorn, and get myself a comfortable seat....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Someone has to really query the various Forums.

Sincere there are those who still use FS9, Aerofly 2, FSX, FSX Steam, XP, P3D v3 and P3D v4.

Even ten it will be a wild guess.

Bill

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

Just to turn this on it’s head ...I am the captain of a very real 747, but have been simming longer than I’ve been flying.

if someone made a very calm announcement that they’d got autogen trees growing out of their taxiways at KMCO (a real problem I believe) as a real simmer would I volunteer to give it a go ?.....No I don’t have a clue about the inner workings of simulator  software 

• Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

What I think of when I hear "Real Simmer"

H34O1a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5