Sign in to follow this  
lennie

How many "real" simmers are out there?

I am reasonably sure that I am real, at least I do have a reflection in a mirror.

I do like to pretend to fly while sitting in front of a computer monitor.

I think I must be a "real simmer".

Edited by Reader

14 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

What I think of when I hear "Real Simmer"

Me too, but this sort of discussion can quickly boil over.

• Like 5

Barry Friedman

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

A real simmert does not call this a GAME.

I do, and sometimes I play it just for fun! I guess I am unreal. 🙂

Cheers!

• Like 4

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

9 minutes ago, Luke said:

I do, and sometimes I play it just for fun! I guess I am unreal. 🙂

Cheers!

I only fly GA planes, mostly even in fair weather and Summer. I am unreal for certain, too.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Apart from "It'll NEVER happen in current aviation scenarios thanks to protocols and bulletproof inaccessible cockpit doors" then, yes, this real simmer will give it a go... :biggrin:

This "real" simmer has also visited Mars and other planets in our solar system via the SIMULATION which is ORBITER. Granted I gratuitously used the time acceleration feature which that sim has due to Newtonian laws and Hohmann transfers.. :happy: I'd still be halfway to Jupiter, and you'd be reading this reply about 5 years after I'd got there :tongue:

I don't follow all the procedures in the flight sim (even if I'm aware of some of them) as FSX is not as real as it gets. I've no doubt violated countless no-fly zones in various countries - but I do enjoy a bit of GA VFR along with flying the heavy iron and get annoyed with myself if I know the landing is rubbish!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I shut down one of these arguments in the MSFS forum because it makes no sense to label people.

What would you call someone that only has time to fly once a week but is dedicated to doing all the right things to make his flight a success whether SEL or tubeliner?

Then what would you call someone that sims 4 hours a day and does it for the sheer enjoyment of flying or sightseeing?

The answer is that both could consider themselves serious simmers or not.

In effect, these discussions are pointless.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 7

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

11 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I shut down one of these arguments in the MSFS forum because it makes no sense to label people.

What would you call someone that only has time to fly once a week but is dedicated to doing all the right things to make his flight a success whether SEL or tubeliner?

Then what would you call someone that sims 4 hours a day and does it for the sheer enjoyment of flying or sightseeing?

The answer is that both could consider themselves serious simmers or not.

In effect, these discussions are pointless.

Oh God! Not another moderator talking sense! Where will it end?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Pointless and infantile thread.

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

What I think of when I hear "Real Simmer"

H34O1a.jpg

That's more of a "slow boil", isn't it?  Sorry - couldn't resist.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

I think flight simulation has been on life-support since fsx died, and what we have are the die-hard remnants who populate these niche forums and groups.  However, there's a huge, untapped market for those who want to fly for anything- training, fun, research, etc.  Remember, they said that this is a whole new ecosystem, a platform.  That suggests that this will be a living, dynamic, evolving world that could provide the basis for all kinds of stuff that people haven't even thought about yet.

Freeing flight simulation from the shackles of the PC will also open the door for millions to enjoy it as well.  PC gaming is an expensive hobby, and it's also not nearly as popular as console gaming.  Once things evolve, and sticks and rudders become part of the x-box flight experience, the door will be opened even further. 

I'm not necessarily saying that millions will flood MSFS for "serious" simming, but it will be flexible for people to do what they want in this new world.  Think avatars, mods for all kinds of things on the ground, being able to move through the world...who knows, the sky's the limit for what's possible.  I think this will also provide a platform for interactivity with other users that we've yet to see in flight simulation too. 

So, at the end of the day, there will be a flood of serious simmers who are all there for different reasons, and this has been difficult to accommodate using the current platforms. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks John, that's very much the way I see it, too.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

41 minutes ago, dal330200 said:

I think flight simulation has been on life-support since fsx died

I agree with everything you said expect this.

The simming ecosystem has become more vibrant and active then ever before over the last few years and has no signs of letting up.

• Upvote 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

5 hours ago, charliearon said:

A real simmer does not call this a GAME.

+167. A "real simmer" understands the difference between a game, and a simulation.

Do you sim for a living? In other words is someone paying you real money to sim?

Are you using the sim as a study tool toward a real licence or real world check ride or to maintain currency?

Do you have a sim that kills you and or others if you screw up?

If you can't answer yes to just one of the above then to you it's a game. In other words entertainment. That's my category though simming is a big part of my enjoyment of retirement. I spend a lot of time and money on simming but I know it's place in the grand scheme of things and don't try to make it into something more then it is.

• Upvote 5

Vic green

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

Do you sim for a living? In other words is someone paying you real money to sim?

Are you using the sim as a study tool toward a real licence or real world check ride or to maintain currency?

Do you have a sim that kills you and or others if you screw up?

If you can't answer yes to just one of the above then to you it's a game. In other words entertainment. That's my category though simming is a big part of my enjoyment of retirement. I spend a lot of time and money on simming but I know it's place in the grand scheme of things and don't try to make it into something more then it is.

Good to remember that most private pilots fly for, well, enjoyment and entertainment.

Rick