Sign in to follow this  
Sea2Sky_604

4k Display / Texture Resolution Question

Hey, had a quick question regarding the texture resolution settings in P3D v4. I currently upgraded to a 43" 4k TV from a 34" ultrawide. I'm running OrbX, REX, and A2A Cessna 172 trainer on a GTX 1070 video card. I plan on upgrading to a GTX 2080 Ti soon to help out with the 4k resolution.

I've set my P3D resolution to 4096x2160x32, but when I set my Texture Resolution under 'Image and Texture Quality' settings to 'Ultra - 4096x4094', it keeps reverting to 'High - 2048x2048'. Is there any reason why it won't allow me to stick with the 4k resolution? Are there any other settings that need to be adjusted?

Possibly a shader program making changes to the prepar3d.cfg?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

14 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Possibly a shader program making changes to the prepar3d.cfg?

Ok, thanks, so this is not a normal issue I take it. I might perform a clean reinstall, and see if that works. Thanks.

44 minutes ago, hobbes said:

Hey, had a quick question regarding the texture resolution settings in P3D v4. I currently upgraded to a 43" 4k TV from a 34" ultrawide. I'm running OrbX, REX, and A2A Cessna 172 trainer on a GTX 1070 video card. I plan on upgrading to a GTX 2080 Ti soon to help out with the 4k resolution.

I've set my P3D resolution to 4096x2160x32, but when I set my Texture Resolution under 'Image and Texture Quality' settings to 'Ultra - 4096x4094', it keeps reverting to 'High - 2048x2048'. Is there any reason why it won't allow me to stick with the 4k resolution? Are there any other settings that need to be adjusted?

Hello,

A2A aircraft are known to cause this when you save a flight with them. Try selecting a default aircraft (Maul for example), set texture res to 4096 and save. Select an airport and load it in using the Maul. Once loaded, you can switch to an A2A aircraft and it should stay at 4096. If you change from one A2A aircraft to another after the sim has started, it will drop the texture res down by setting again however.

Hope this helps.

Murray Dreyer

15 minutes ago, mdreyer said:

Hello,

A2A aircraft are known to cause this when you save a flight with them. Try selecting a default aircraft (Maul for example), set texture res to 4096 and save. Select an airport and load it in using the Maul. Once loaded, you can switch to an A2A aircraft and it should stay at 4096. If you change from one A2A aircraft to another after the sim has started, it will drop the texture res down by setting again however.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I will have to keep that in mind in the future. I've tried exiting my scenario, changed to a P3D Maule, set texture res to 4096, then saved. Selected a new airport, loaded the scenario with the Maule, and it still defaults to 2048. I tried changing back to 4096 within the scenario, but it still reverts. Might be an addon that's overwriting, I just can't seem to find out which application is doing it. If I don't solve this by tonight, I will most likely try a fresh install, and install each add-on one by one, until I find the culprit.

I have a C172 Trainer from Flight Illusions and SimKits coming in, so preparing for 4k before they arrive.

2 minutes ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

Are you using a standard airport that came with P3D with no addons to it?

I am using CYSE from OrbX which is a free airport near my area (https://orbxdirect.com/product/cyse) and cycle between airports that are P3D default, such as CYVR. I'm also using REX Worldwide Airports HD add-on.

You will find most addon airport scenery`s 2048 is recommended.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, hobbes said:

Thanks for the advice, I will have to keep that in mind in the future. I've tried exiting my scenario, changed to a P3D Maule, set texture res to 4096, then saved. Selected a new airport, loaded the scenario with the Maule, and it still defaults to 2048. I tried changing back to 4096 within the scenario, but it still reverts. Might be an addon that's overwriting, I just can't seem to find out which application is doing it. If I don't solve this by tonight, I will most likely try a fresh install, and install each add-on one by one, until I find the culprit.

I have a C172 Trainer from Flight Illusions and SimKits coming in, so preparing for 4k before they arrive.

mmm, that is strange. Just to be clear, you've saved the default flight with the Maul @ 4096, shut P3D down, re-started (with Maul now as the opening aircraft) checked that the res is still 4096, then started a scenario? I'm only persisting with this line because it sounds like a well know issue with A2A aircraft reducing texture resolution when they are the default aircraft at start up.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Murray Dreyer

5 hours ago, mdreyer said:

mmm, that is strange. Just to be clear, you've saved the default flight with the Maul @ 4096, shut P3D down, re-started (with Maul now as the opening aircraft) checked that the res is still 4096, then started a scenario? I'm only persisting with this line because it sounds like a well know issue with A2A aircraft reducing texture resolution when they are the default aircraft at start up.

Cheers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't save as a default flight, shutdown P3D, then restart with the default Maule. That absolutely did the trick! I haven't switched back to the A2A Cessna yet, but the Maule does indeed allow for the 4096 texture setting to be applied, and saved!

40 minutes ago, hobbes said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't save as a default flight, shutdown P3D, then restart with the default Maule. That absolutely did the trick! I haven't switched back to the A2A Cessna yet, but the Maule does indeed allow for the 4096 texture setting to be applied, and saved!

Awesome - glad you got it sorted.

Murray Dreyer

22 hours ago, hobbes said:

I've set my P3D resolution to 4096x2160x32

Is that the native resolution for your monitor?  My 4K TV UHD native setting is 3840 x 2160.  Interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP

23 hours ago, downscc said:

Is that the native resolution for your monitor?  My 4K TV UHD native setting is 3840 x 2160.  Interesting.

It is native to 4096x2160 if I make the 4k TV my main default monitor. If I use my ultrawide 34" as my main default, P3D only shows 3440x1440 as max resolution on my 4k.

My 4k TV is a 43" LG UHD Smart TV.

Hi

I have an LG 4K 43" Monitor and run it with a 2080 Graphic Card.

I got the 2080 this spring and put it in my 4 year old system (I7 6700K & GTX 970) and it helps a bit, but last week I did a major hardware update to a new Mainbord Z390 and I9 9900KS and 2 x M.2 NVMe SSDs (256 +1000 GB) for Win10 and the Sim.

Now P3D runs stable at looked 30 fps, and the workload fo the CPU at 30-60 % and the GPU at 50 - 90%.

And this tells us what? Exactly, that even with the 6700K, you are still mostly CPU bound even in P3Dv4 and even in 4K, if your GPU is powerful enough. Interesting, thanks for reporting this.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS