Sign in to follow this  
carmined

Flight SIMULATOR - I hope it means the bad stuff too!

In one way, I totally agree with this. But in another, I also really don't want it to be like X-Plane 11 was in the beginning, where 1 out of 3 takeoffs I had a birdstrike. Any issue should have the same probability as in real life. And definitely I would like stuff like carburetor icing, etc., to happen and to force me to react.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bashope said:

In one way, I totally agree with this. But in another, I also really don't want it to be like X-Plane 11 was in the beginning, where 1 out of 3 takeoffs I had a birdstrike. Any issue should have the same probability as in real life. And definitely I would like stuff like carburetor icing, etc., to happen and to force me to react.

Preferably the probably for an issue should be customizable by the user, from say 0,01% to 100%.

@carminedThanks for sharing this flight story. You told it so well I could visualise the whole event.

I do hope the sim enables us to simulate hardware failures to cope with, but also sudden changes in weather or events like you described. In real life you probably can do without these thrills but as an armchair pilot it really adds some excitement when something might happen during a simulated flight.

Considering the bullfrogs, I think there will be a great market third parties to create airfields that feel alive in the new sim. Add the sound of those bullfrogs during the night, add some sky divers and GA aircraft flying patterns and it will just have the atmosphere we all crave for.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Ive been looking for a place to write about this issue and I was going to start a new post but...

I am not a real pilot and the closest Ive come is probably flying an A2A  Cessna (but how could I know?).  Im looking forward to learning how to fly -- again.  Theres so much i don't know because it hasnt been there in previous sims or maybe it was but badly (unrealistically) modelled and so I turned it off.  failures and other issues should be at the same rate they are in real life ande an aileron control shouldnt break simply because I didnt do a walk around.

I hope the new sim will have a range of realism options and I suspect it will as FS always has.  I also hope that the 'realism' is realistic so I can turn it up as I learn more and actually learn something - maybe - hopefully.

On a similar note: Im surprised no one has commented on how the planes in the videos when shown from external camera are definitely not on rails anymore.  they seem to dance about as buffeted by the varying winds.  should make flying fun.

PS:  @himmelhorse  -  don't feel bad.  i thought VFR meant daytime only as well.  and its these types of things I would also like a proper sim to teach.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

8 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Seriously? Don't understand what day or night has to do with visibility. Rather the opposite, during night time you can see airports and cities at a much greater distance than during day time.

Cities maybe. Airports...very much depends. I’ve been doing quite a bit of night flying recently building hours towards my commercial certificate. It is much harder to pick out a typical GA airport at night than you would think, especially in a populated area. That airport beacon is pretty easy to miss among all the other twinkling light around a city. Sims in general make it way too easy to spot airports day or night. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chris

1 minute ago, snglecoil said:

Airports...very much depends. I’ve been doing quite a bit of night flying recently building hours towards my commercial certificate. It is much harder to pick out a typical GA airport at night than you would think, especially in a populated area.

Hm, I still remember that it was amazing to find out that one can spot an international airport more than 100NM away from FL350. Couldn't do that during daytime.

Maybe the Hanger Chat forum is the best forum for this discussion!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

FSX can have bad stuff happen, not so much laws of nature and wildlife, but equipment failures. I'm sure MS would build on that and add nature, because she's a right Mother now and again :) 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

Why ? How temperature plays with humidity, how clearly one sees the airport beacon in the night , we are full in the topic ! 

2 hours ago, snglecoil said:

. It is much harder to pick out a typical GA airport at night than you would think, especially in a populated area. That airport beacon is pretty easy to miss among all the other twinkling light around a city. Sims in general make it way too easy to spot airports day or night. 

The FSX/P3D beacons are a true abomination, difficult to do worse. Also,  lets hope the city lights will not pop into existence with the moving LOD radius. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Hm, I still remember that it was amazing to find out that one can spot an international airport more than 100NM away from FL350. Couldn't do that during daytime.

You are probably right from FL350...At 3,500' in a single engine it is a little different sight picture. 😉

• Upvote 1

Chris

3 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Thanks, dad.

Chris

15 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to get a VFR clearance for take off at 1.30AM. I was under the impression that VFR was all about visibility and IFR was all about not having that visibility

In many countries, night does require an instrument rating. I don't know if the requirement is to be on an instrument flight plan or that you simply have to be instrument rated but can go VFR. The US does not have a night instrument rating requirement, though, operating on a dark night over water or a sparsely populated area definitely would put instrument skills to good use.

Chris

Guys,

The concept of Night VFR to me is mind boggling.  I am NOT a pilot in any way shape or form so I have to concede statements made here. 

However, I question the wisdom of taking off at 1.30AM into a weather front which forces you to fly at 1000ft, I cannot imagine, that you could spot an airfield at that height, until you were almost on top of it, or at least very close.That would call for some pretty precise navigation, I have to assume his aircraft was GPS equipped.

Also are we talking about a flight entirely composed of flying over well lit built up areas.  Because I basically only fly my sim in Australia, I have no idea what geographical conditions, the route mentioned involved. For me, I am imagining, trying to do that on a flight from Cairns (YBCS) to Townsville (YBTL) flying at 1000ft and I can only see myself being in more trouble than Batman on a bad night.

In my ignorance, I would have  ... no, I actually thought that Night VFR was a contradiction in terms. I simply cannot get my head around this.

Regards 

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

16 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to get a VFR clearance for take off at 1.30AM. I was under the impression that VFR was all about visibility and IFR was all about not having that visibility.

As long as one complies with TOMATO FLAMES (daytime) and FLAPS (nighttime)* for equipment and meets the other FAR requirements night VFR is permissible.

* Nota Bene:

• T: Tachometer
  • O: Oil pressure gauge
  • M: Manifold pressure gauge for each atmosphere engine
  • A: Airspeed indicator
  • T: Temperature gauge for each liquid-cooled engine
  • O: Oil temperature gauge
  • F: Fuel level gauge
  • L: Landing gear position indicator
  • A: Altimeter
  • M: Magnetic heading indicator
  • E: Emergency locator transmitter (ELT)
  • S: Seat belts
  • F: Fuses
  • L: Landing light
  • A: Anticollision lights
  • P: Position lights
  • S: Source of electrical energy
  • Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

@himmelhorse night VFR definitely has its own set of challenges. It also has some distinct advantage as well. I’m instrument rated but I do love to fly VFR at night. I fly in a densely populated area with no appreciable terrain to worry about so even on a moonless night, there is plenty of ground reference. Traffic is much easier to spot and there is generally less of it. And best of all, good VFR nights are generally free from ANY turbulence. 

The biggest downside (especially single engine) is that if you have an emergency and aren’t in gliding range of an airport, you head for a dark spot and hope there are no trees. 😟
And you have to be extra diligent with your preflight weather briefing. 

• Like 2

Chris