Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Other Flight Sim Forums in Denial

This past weekend, I thought I'd visit x-plane.org and prepar3d.com to read their forum posts about MSFS2020. To my surprise, many of the forum members are in complete denial, expressing grave skepticism that Microsoft is actually going to release a new sim. (These were not six-month-old posts. These were posts new this past weekend.) Apparently, all the wonderful videos and in-person demonstrations that Asobo graciously provided to the community are a giant scam of some sort. The term "vaporware" was used over and over. One guy on x-plane.org stated that neither Microsoft nor Asobo employed any competent programmers (like him), so the promised sim next year would never actually materialize. Microsoft would probably drop funding for the project and close shop. Others argued that FS2020 was for XBOX only and that Microsoft was just punking us PC users into testing it for them. There would never be a marketed PC version. And of course some actually opined that the Feature Discovery Series videos released thus far by Asobo aren't impressive at all, no -- X-Plane or P3D is far better. One guy said that "except for the graphics, X-Plane is superior to MSFS2020 in every way." Yeah, "except for the graphics." 🙂

To me, these cynics remind me of someone who has just been given a diagnosis of terminal cancer. The first stage of grief is denial. This can't be happening. They foresee the death of their existing sims, and they are in denial. The announcement of MSFS2020 and the subsequent videos have brought tremendous excitement into my life. This will be my best Christmas ever, and we won't even have the sim until next year! It's just a shame that not everyone can share in the excitement. It's their own loss.

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 16
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I will just believe in MFS the moment I am able to Uninstall it....

• Like 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I see around here a lot of XP users of the reasonable and articulate kind but I wonder whether they are the majority. There are several things that have kept me away from XP all these years. One of of them is the massive  sectarian mentality showed in most of the dedicated forums. I just can’t stand it. And its not only related to FS20...

I don’t see the same on the Avsim P3D forum except a couple of characters who always have a little foam at the corner of their mouth anyway. 

To be fair, I have seen on this forum the exact symmetric, people waiting FS20 as the messiah.

A great statesman once said anything exaggerated is unsignificant. 

• Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The Tech Alpha start being delayed just feeds into the narrative of vaporware. I realise MS have had their global preview event as well as the demos at XO19 but until ordinary punters get their hands on the software, together with the inevitable leak or two, it's very easy for a sceptical person to believe it's nothing but vaporware.

• Upvote 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

Hello all,

Personally, I cannot see where this is coming from.  Austin Myers himself, is enthusiastic about it and looking forward to it. 

I also cannot see a "real" simmer (word used loosely) being disappointed in a potentially better platform, nor can I follow that sort of logic. If those people are basing their assumptions on what they have now, they are being short-sighted in my opinion. They face an imminent release of Vulkan for a start.  For seconds, if MSFS fails (God forbid) then they are left with an incredibly good platform anyway, AND the same applies to P3D. If MSFS succeeds, what the devil has anyone lost??   Beyond me guys, but maybe, I am just being too optomistic about our flight simming future.

I really cannot fathom any negativity about a new and possibly better Flightsim programme. 

Regards,

Tony

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

6 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Austin Myers himself, is enthusiastic about it and looking forward to it. 

Don't think that this killer has anything to x-plane, I assume you mean Austin Meyer.

59 minutes ago, domkle said:

I see around here a lot of XP users of the reasonable and articulate kind but I wonder whether they are the majority. There are several things that have kept me away from XP all these years. One of of them is the massive  sectarian mentality showed in most of the dedicated forums. I just can’t stand it. And its not only related to FS20...

I don’t see the same on the Avsim P3D forum except a couple of characters who always have a little foam at the corner of their mouth anyway. 

To be fair, I have seen on this forum the exact symmetric, people waiting FS20 as the messiah.

A great statesman once said anything exaggerated is unsignificant. 

And there are P3D users, on Avsim too, doing certain type of comments leading to sim wars. Same for XP ones, AFS2 ones, etc etc you got the point.

Actually, if you think about it, P3D ones have an additional reason for being a bit more in denial: the amount of money spent on addons. The same amount of money spent cannot be found on XP both because there aren't as many addon offerings but also because a good chunk of P3D payware addons are not needed in the XP environment since there is still a strong freeware community.

But in the end, i really do think that such people can be found anywhere and it would be pretty unfair to mention only a simulator and make the association that all those simulator users, or even the majority of them, are "whiners" and in denial.

Edited by france89
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I think these vocal people are worried that there thousands of dollars investments in the sim will be overtaken by reddit and forum screenshots of default MFS titled "as real as it gets" and "vfr over new york" and "on final at my home airport" 

And the screenshots they post of p3d or xplane will be full of comments like "flight simming in the 90's" and "get mfs"

And they feel ripped off because they have invested so much into it while these people havent

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Theboot100 said:

I think these vocal people are worried that there thousands of dollars investments in the sim will be overtaken by reddit and forum screenshots of default MFS titled "as real as it gets" and "vfr over new york" and "on final at my home airport" 

And the screenshots they post of p3d or xplane will be full of comments like "flight simming in the 90's" and "get mfs"

And they feel ripped off because they have invested so much into it while these people havent

Many dollars have I spent on P3D and I'll happily drop it in an instant if MSFS is as good as it looks and runs better. It's progress.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

Rich Holding

best thing is, just ignore them, dont even think about commenting ect.

its zero worth the time, wonderfull times ahead! 😋

• Upvote 1

The one who shouted the loudest was a guy on Linux and I asked him many times, why he even cares... I am happy I maybe will have another cool sim besides X-Plane 11 and whatever someone likes as a sim, I coulnd't care less!! Exciting times ahead!! 

Happy flying!

• Like 3

Looking forward to re-visiting this topic in 2021🤪

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

LOL,

I for one will intend to run both Sims once it comes out. I purposely bought a 2 tb SSD just for this.  I expect the transition {if any} from one sim to the new one will take a few years. There's addons to P3D that will take a while I sure for the devs to move to MSFS 2020 if at all.  

Capt. Robert Rixx

On the FS2Crew Facebook page, we regularly get X-Plane users who go there to proselytize.  At times they could sometimes become a tad irritating.

Regardless, X-Plane is a pretty amazing sim.  I like it.  

I hope X-Plane continues to do well in face of FS2020, if anything to keep Microsoft pushing forward in the face of competition.

But my feeling is Microsoft probably really won't care about X-Plane after 2020 because 2020 will likely be so dominant.

• Like 2