Flamingpie

Sharing information: right or wrong?

On the official forum of one of the currently available flight sims someone posted about having a problem with the installation of a certain add on. After a few posts the poster said he would stop trying because things wouldn't work. Then a while later another poster said that he asked the developer of said add on if they had contact with that user and the add on developer shared that information with that other poster. Yes, they had contact with that poster via mail and PM and what that poster said (about when he had received an answer to an e-mail) wasn't correct. The other poster then proceeded to share that information on the forum and said the original poster posted intentional spam to give the add on bad press and that his posts were bogus posts. Period.

After reading that I was amazed and in fact angry. 

1. The original poster wasn't someone new over there and I personally would never accuse someone of spam and giving bad press just like that.

2. I also frown upon users informing about other users at developers without contacting the other user.

3. I think it's totally wrong (and maybe even illegal) for developers to share information about their customers with other customers.

4. I think it's also totally wrong to share that information on the forum just like that.

I decided to report the post and I shared my view about all this in that very same topic. I was told by 'the other user' I was way off base saying all that and I replied he was. Within an hour all my posts about this had been deleted but the posts of the other user, with the accusations, remained in place and the topic was locked. So the mods apparently agreed with the other poster. And it seems they deny the original user to comment on all this and to defend himself.

Now what do you think about this? Is this right or wrong? My respect for the other user has dropped to zero and I know I will never ever do business with the developer of that add on. But I just wanted to know if I am crazy or not being angry about all this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Flamingpie said:

3. I think it's totally wrong (and maybe even illegal) for developers to share information about their customers with other customers.

There we go with the "illegal" word again.  In this case "maybe it is illegal" is used.  To accuse anyone of doing something illegal without proof is wrong and is only trolling/inciting the community that someone did something wrong when, in fact, they did not (unless you can quote the specific law regarding sharing).  I do know that pirating, a form of sharing, is illegal, https://corporate.findlaw.com/business-operations/software-computer-piracy-and-your-business.html

The FS community is supposed to be a friendly place to share information between users and developers.  Sometimes members violate the rules and policies of website owners and they are rightfully punished or the posts and topics are removed.  Here at AVSIM it is very difficult to get banned anymore but many are suspended for violating our rules.  A few years ago, members who are getting suspended today would have been banned permanently years ago. Trolling was a banning offense back then. We remove a lot of posts and topics when we find a member is argumentative, trolling, or inciting as things go down fast when it happens. We want peace and a friendly atmosphere here at AVSIM and not a place where two or three members might argue as to who is right or wrong.  Those types of arguments are difficult to end peacefully because the world is huge and many have varying views and do not communicate those views well (why we have wars).  I suspect the owners of the website you visited have the same rules. Moderators come from various parts of our world and have different views of a topic or post.  One would hide it, others would not see the trolling argumentative or inciting and allow the conversation to continue.  Unfortunately that's the way it is on forums around the Internet and I think you have to accept that fact. Rules rule! If you get argumentative, troll, or are inciting others, know that you are on the edge of some form of punishment if you do not stop, take a deep breath, and move on to another topic. I have deleted many of my posts like this one and simply say it is not worth the Thirty days from now you won't even remember the argument you had at the other site.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

To accuse anyone of doing something illegal without proof is wrong and is only trolling/inciting the community that someone did something wrong when, in fact, they did not (unless you can quote the specific law regarding sharing).

What was posted falls under this rule, I think:

"Information collected from an individual cannot be disclosed to other organizations or individuals unless specifically authorized by law or by consent of the individual."

Source: Information privacy law

Take note these laws apparently do not apply to the USA. I live in Europe though and since this year it has very tight rules (if that is how you say it). But...

Unfortunately that's the way it is on forums around the Internet and I think you have to accept that fact.

...I suppose that's true... But (again)...

Thirty days from now you won't even remember the argument you had at the other site.

...I can assure you that won't be the case. I won't buy anything from that dev and lost interest (to put it mildly) in everything the 'other poster' posts (over there and here).

BTW That legal stuff was on a side note: I just think it's not done to do things like this.

Edited by Flamingpie
  • Upvote 1

On 12/3/2019 at 6:06 PM, Flamingpie said:

It was pretty easy to see exactly what you meant by this - I’m not sure why you were accused of making baseless accusations! 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

Define "information".  If it is not legally defined, it's a "black hole" and rather hard to enforce because one thing I do know about laws... any time one is written to be a "catch all" with the use of ambiguous wording... it gets shredded by courts.

• Like 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69