Sign in to follow this  
mikced76

New joystick

Hi guys. Im in the market for a new joystick. I have the VirtualFly Yoko for my yoke type aircraft like the A2A stuff (Cessna 172 and Piper etc) but now I am looking to expand my hardware for the lovely Realair Legacy. So who better to ask then my friends here. Any recommendations? Quality is important and since I care 0% about military aircraft and flying it does not hurt if it looks less like something from a fighter aircraft with millions of buttons in different colors, shooting triggers and what have you, and more like something you would find in a GA type aircraft.

Scanning the market it seems the focus for sticks in general are on combat flying like the Thrustmaster Warthog etc. If norhing elses I guess I have to go with that and remind myself Im in a Cirrus or Lanceair and not in a fighter jet.

I switched from a Saitek EVO to a Thrustmaster T16000M FCS and I'm very satisfied.  Best features for me are its H.E.A.R.T technology which makes the movements very precise and won't change over time.  Second is that it's fully ambidextrous.  I fly with the joystick on my left side simulating a yoke or an airbus stick.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

i also just got the T16000.  Haven't taken it out of the box yet.  But a couple questions.  Did you install the drivers/software?  Also any pointers on what you assigned all the buttons to?  Particularly the wheel on the throttle and paddle buttons. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 minute ago, micstatic said:

i also just got the T16000.  Haven't taken it out of the box yet.  But a couple questions.  Did you install the drivers/software?  Also any pointers on what you assigned all the buttons to?  Particularly the wheel on the throttle and paddle buttons. 

Wheel on the throttle?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

the dial by your left pinky.  Also, I use chaseplane and have never had this many hat switches.  So really trying to find something to put them to use for.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Did you install the drivers/software?  Also any pointers on what you assigned all the buttons to?  Particularly the wheel on the throttle and paddle buttons. 

@micstatic

I didn't install the driver/software... using the Win 10 drivers.  I only assigned the left and right buttons to trim up and down, the hat to switch the view, and the center button to center the view (ctrl+space).  I'm also using the throttle as throttle.  Based on its technology, it's better than my previous joystick when flying airplanes without auto-throttle... it doesn't spike.  I haven't yet assigned any other buttons.  

• Like 1

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

I just bought the X56 RGB HOTAS and am pleased with it so far.  I fly the FSL A320 mostly, and have a lot of buttons to map, but it has worked quite well so far ( for two weeks now).  Realize that's not the test of time of course, but the functionality is as advertised, the build quality is good and solid.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

T16000M since years as well after trying a variety of yokes, joysticks and pedals. No drivers installed (and no 'wheel' on my T16000M)

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

T16000M since years as well after trying a variety of yokes, joysticks and pedals. No drivers installed (and no 'wheel' on my T16000M)

think he  referring  to the  throttle  where  there is  a wheel  by  your  left   pinky since iam using  both thrustmaster  throttle  and  joystick t1600m

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Correct.  On the throttle. 

I got a VKB SGC-L stick, it's very good qulity on the full-metal centering mechanism (with the "30" cam), much better than any saitke or T16000M.

The best thing is it's for left hand, so it's good for Cirrus Lanceair or Diamond if you want fly them from left seat. I havn't see any other joystick in $100~400 range came with left hand grip when I decide to replace my T16000M

Well, if the budget is limited, T16000M is good for it's price, but it's annoying having a fuzzy centering near the very center both mechanically and sensorially, The hall sensor is good, but near the very center, I even got a very little reverse for initial 1 degree move, very uncomfortable for adjust in approaching.

I use the logitech extreme 3d pro. I've had it for a looooooong time and love it. Is there really a benefit to upgrading for P3d? I do not do any combat sims. 

On 12/3/2019 at 8:37 PM, SAX702 said:

it's fully ambidextrous

How come? Looking at the images (havent's seen in it a shop yet), I would say it looks 100% right-hand, both the joystick and the throttle.
I use Logitech ATK3 which genuinely is ambidextrous (great for my A320 - I always fly from the 'left seat'), but I keep an eye on other stuff in case it dies one day.

Edited by Rafal

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

How come? Looking at the images (havent's seen in it a shop yet), I would say it looks 100% right-hand, both the joystick and the throttle.
I use Logitech ATK3 which genuinely is ambidextrous (great for my A320 - I always fly from the 'left seat'), but I keep an eye on other stuff in case it dies one day.

You can change the stick to left hand with only 2 screws, but the separate throttle is indeed for left hand only.

And I still higly recommand VKB Space Combat Grip(SCG) -L for any Bus captains.😁

• Like 1

Thrustmaster warthog is an amazing piece of gear.  I bought it because I do fly DCS as well sometimes, but it gets a lot more use flying civilian aircraft.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU