s4cr3d1

Low FPS on Medium range PC

Hello people

I have:

- Ryzen 5 2600x

- 8GB RAM DDR4

- M.2 SSD 240GB

- RX 570 8GBVRAM

and on this specs my xplane11 have maximum 30 fps and on airports 25, on bigger airports it drops to 15 to 20. Why is that ? What I have to do ?

It should be 30 fps all time at least

All drivers updated.

No extra addons for graphics installed. Just simple sceneries most of them default, maybe 10 custom.

Please give me advice on what to do? 

Do I have to increase RAM ?

the reason for that is very simple , it's the AMD Opengl Drivers that is limiting thread utilization.  If you know how to use linux than you use open source amd drivers in linux and you will notice a big difference.

Vulkan will solve that issue.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

You're on the low end of X-Plane's hardware requirements. 30 FPS "all the time" is hard to achieve even with a much beefier setup. So, what you can do, search this forum for tips and adjust your settings accordingly. There are a few things you should avoid at all costs, such as shadows and reflections.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

56 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

the reason for that is very simple , it's the AMD Opengl Drivers that is limiting thread utilization.  If you know how to use linux than you use open source amd drivers in linux and you will notice a big difference.

Vulkan will solve that issue.

Thanks for answer. Do you know where I can find download link and more info on that solution?

no it's not the issue of low end hardware tbh, i have a much lower system than that. That system is good for mid-high settings.

AMD FX 4300 

RX 550 2GB 

12GB DDR3 

In windows i won't pull above 15-18 fps or even lower , in linux using AMD Drivers same , the moment i went to opensource drivers it was a different thing.  I can go from 20-30-35 , yes the FX 4300 ain't good for HIGH objects settings but it survives till 20 fps. If no objects like buildings etc.. and only  using orthos set to HIGH even in windows it won't go above 22 fps but in linux it can go from 28-40.  The other thing that i noticed in linux with open source drivers was that the GPU is being uitlized way higher than the CPU infact i feel the objects are hitting the gpu rather than cpu 

I have objects to HIGH in linux , windows i really don't bother for XP , just waiting for vulkan 

AMD DRIVER OPENGL is restricting thread release and it's been confirmed by LR- Ben. 

16GB wouldn't hurt but it won't help in this situation

Edited by HumptyDumpty

9 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

no it's not the issue of low end hardware tbh, i have a much lower system than that. That system is good for mid-high settings.

AMD FX 4300 

RX 550 2GB 

12GB DDR3 

In windows i won't pull above 15-18 fps or even lower , in linux using AMD Drivers same , the moment i went to opensource drivers it was a different thing.  I can go from 20-30-35 , yes the FX 4300 ain't good for HIGH objects settings but it survives till 20 fps. If no objects like buildings etc.. and only  using orthos set to HIGH even in windows it won't go above 22 fps but in linux it can go from 28-40.  The other thing that i noticed in linux with open source drivers was that the GPU is being uitlized way higher than the CPU infact i feel the objects are hitting the gpu rather than cpu 

I have objects to HIGH in linux , windows i really don't bother for XP , just waiting for vulkan 

AMD DRIVER OPENGL is restricting thread release and it's been confirmed by LR- Ben. 

16GB wouldn't hurt but it won't help in this situation

So, in Windows, there is no option for open source driver? I have to install Linux? You mentioned Vulkan, that will be for windows release ?

53 minutes ago, s4cr3d1 said:

So, in Windows, there is no option for open source driver? I have to install Linux? You mentioned Vulkan, that will be for windows release ?

nop

Yes Vulkan will be for both Windows / linux hopefully this month, but it will be BETA.  Though should be much better.

I was planning on getting a Nvidia just because of this but they are just too costly for me.

RX 570 8GB is def not the fastest but it's very good and you have good vram. 

are you using orthos ? also try with TEXTURE = MEDIUM ,Also make it 16GB.   but my guess is it won't do a miracle.  

Certain things you could try , shut off SMT from BIOS 

delete the preferences display file and delete the shadercache folder.

keep opengl enabled in Adrelaine

Edited by HumptyDumpty

2 hours ago, s4cr3d1 said:

Thanks for answer. Do you know where I can find download link and more info on that solution?

Don't remember the date when it was posted @dev.x-plane

Also there are charts showing the current API performance vs Vulkan for both AMD and Nvidia , it's posted @tweeter. 

Did you try with SMT OFF ?

I will try it .  I hope they release update soon so that I don't have to buy another simulator or gpu...

You might benefit with SMT off but i could be wrong , don't have a ryzen system hence.

They are targeting a Dec vulkan beta release hopefully.

GPU is the mair reason. Flight simulators doesn´t like AMD video cardos. But also, your Ryzen generation is not good for Xplane. 

Take a look: 

I´m on Ryzen 5 3600 with Nvidia card. Very good performance.

You sure Ryzen is not good for XP ?  

40 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

You sure Ryzen is not good for XP ?  

This las generation is. Ryzen 5 3600, 3600x, 3800x etc.

The last (2600) can be used, but the performance is about half what you got on same range intel chips.

Not on other games, but in P3d and Xplane 11 the old generation is not so good .

Just went into AMD when I see good reviews, and now I can recomend them.

But not for VGA. Unless Vulkan can change that.

9 hours ago, JcSk8 said:

This las generation is. Ryzen 5 3600, 3600x, 3800x etc.

The last (2600) can be used, but the performance is about half what you got on same range intel chips.

Not on other games, but in P3d and Xplane 11 the old generation is not so good .

Just went into AMD when I see good reviews, and now I can recomend them.

But not for VGA. Unless Vulkan can change that.

Vulkan will solve the CPU issue

• Like 1