Sign in to follow this  
simbol

Help with software updates

Dear All,

A have a customer @AnkH which is unable to launch AI Lights Reborn Professional auto updates. 

Initially we thought it was because AVIRA antivirus was blocking these, however after removing AVIRA the problem persists. I contacted the software vendor I am using for my installers and they pointed out their auto updater is digitally signed already and therefore they believe something else is blocking the process. I have been communicating with the user backs and fort, but we are still unable to resolve it. No matter what we do, we always get the same error which is security is preventing the update.

I reach out to the community so see if anybody else has an idea of what we can do to get this resolved, so far this is the only user presenting this issue, which makes it even more odd!

Thanks in advance,
Simbol

• Like 1

Can you elaborate "unable to launch"? Does the error message "security is preventing the update" come from the Installer or from Windows?

Are the latest Windows Updates installed? Are any other Security Programs installed which could interfere? (Uninstalling Avira will reactivate Windows Defender on Windows 10).

Edited by eXpress48

9 minutes ago, eXpress48 said:

Can you elaborate "unable to launch"? Does the error message "security is preventing the update" come from the Installer or from Windows?

We get this error:

l8Qt9cT.png

Let's wait for @AnkH to answer the rest of your questions.

Regards,
Simbol

I'd check SetupBuilder's documentation to see what the error codes mean, and what specifically causes them. Security in that message seems to be just a catchall or a hint to start, not a definitive statement of fact.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

22 minutes ago, Luke said:

I'd check SetupBuilder's documentation to see what the error codes mean, and what specifically causes them. Security in that message seems to be just a catchall or a hint to start, not a definitive statement of fact.

Cheers!

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the help. I raised a ticket with them and they insist is something preventing the installation from running..

S.

The Error Message clearly comes from the Setup Engine (SetupBuilder) and thus the Vendor should be able to provide the information on what condition this error gets thrown.

I guess the Setup is executed as an Administrator? I previously saw weird behaviours with different Installation Programs when User Account Control is active and the setup is just double-clicked and doesn't run with elevation, even though the user is an administrator.

Is the Setup able to generate a log file? With MSIs for example you can write a verbose log to troubleshoot installation issues.

Edited by eXpress48

Ask him to check the setting in User Account Control in Control Panel. If set too high it might prevent an exe running.

And if it’s Windows 10 he should right-click the exe and choose “Run as Administrator”. Even if he has an admin account Windows is funny like that.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

After the latest windows 10 update to 1909, I could not install p3d addon-on software executable files from my internal H-drive ( antivirus off). So I transferred files to my external drive and installed add-on without problem.

I shoot another email to software vendor and they responded like this:

The machine has a buggy protection software definition file and gives a false-positive on the "0019.LIB" component (which is the component to handle firewall settings). The Windows API "LoadLibraryA" fails because the component located in the temporary Windows folder is locked or has been removed.

Solution: The most likely cause for this error is having too high of a security level on your PC or a false-positive anti-spyware/anti-virus bug. Please disable virus and/or anti-spyware protection as well as your firewall during this installation.

Since he removed AVIRA, either another antivirus product can be active or another firewall product can be the cause. If this was caused by Windows bitdefender then most likely lots of my current customer base would have the same issue.

This is why I am so puzzled guys.

@AnkH When you get a chance, let us know if you can disable the firewall temporally and run the autoupdates to see if it works. If not, maybe you have another protection software in place?

Regards,
Simbol

Edited by simbol

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to go through this, as it is really annoying and puzzling at the same time. A summary what I did:

- of course, I tried to execute both the updater and the AI Lights software as administrator, actually I ticked the box that it always is executed as administrator.

- I uninstalled AVIRA completely, the issue persists.

- after uninstalling AVIRA, I completely disabled the Windows Firewall and Defender, the issue persists.

- I created a whole set of exceptions for both the .exe files and the full AI Lights folder in both AVIRA and Windows Firewall, the issue persists.

- I tried to install AI Lights Reborn Professional both in the default location on C:\ and on my P3D SSD (D:\). Issue persists.

- I re-checked if there is any other protection/Antivirus software installed, there is none.

- My UAC settings are anyway on the lowest possible (not recommended...) setting, as those messages from Windows 10 are annoying...

The only strange thing I noticed, was after uninstalling AVIRA, I was not able to run Active Sky anymore due to a cryptic error message a Google research linked to Firewall/Antivirus settings. As soon as AVIRA was re-installed, Active Sky worked again. No idea if this is linked, but it is as strange as the situation with the updater...

Other than that, I am lost. I also have no idea how to reduce the " too high of a security level", back in Windows 7, there was a slider for this, I do not find this in Windows 10.

Besides the great support from Simbol, I really wonder why I am the only one having such an issue. And to be honest: I do not have any Firewall/Antivirus issue with any other software and as I do play quiet a lot of games besides simming, at least once I should have stumbled on something similar, no? If I would not know it better, I would simply call this SetupBuilder a piece of... you know what I mean 😉

Another guess: could it be somehow related to Acronis TrueImage (although I disabled all "live" stuff from this backup software...)?

Then: I need to allow the setup of AILRP to be executed when installing. Personally, I still think that is somehow connected... I have to grant permission to very very few executables I run, it rarely ever happens...

Edited by AnkH

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

The only strange thing I noticed, was after uninstalling AVIRA, I was not able to run Active Sky anymore due to a cryptic error message a Google research linked to Firewall/Antivirus settings. As soon as AVIRA was re-installed, Active Sky worked again. No idea if this is linked, but it is as strange as the situation with the updater...

Well that is very weird indeed..

So you have AVIRA running again at the moment?

S.

I'd be very curious what that error message was. It suggests there is something rather messed up with that machine.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I'd be concerned about the issue being at the network level too.  Chris, does your router have a firewall?  If so, can you try installing with the computer connected directly to the modem (bypass the router)?

Greg

I had a similar problem. Not only I couldn't download from some sites, I could not connect to some Windows 7 machines on the network at work. I got the same security error.

I eventually solved the problem by changing a registry security setting.

Just change the Dword to a 1 at 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth  

Seems there is a Microsoft error in some of the Windows 10 builds.

I did this at he beginning of the year and have not had a problem since.

Could be worth a try, if it doesn't work, just switch the dword back to a 0.

Chris.

Edited by ChrisDa
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simbol,

I like ChrisDa's idea very much!

it can't be a hardware firewall like what's in the home router, far too specific a denial so it has to be software.

You probably already considered this, and I'm aware that you know about much of what I'll write below, but just in case...

Do you think the tamper protection may have left some of the computer security (namely the firewall) in place?   Checking the running processes may not show this without using a Process Monitor (you know why).

The computer security developer may have an Eraser available on their website, and  the tamper protection might be why.

Also, since many computer security companies tie their security into (and use) some Windows security, if could be that the settings (variables really) have become messed up in the code and need to be reset. I believe the only way of doing this short of the Registry is to fully disable and then re-enable the Windows security software.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.