Sign in to follow this  
Guest Len

FS-X in the Mountains: Banff, Canada - Default Mesh , Addon, and FS2004

I've been using the full FS-X deluxe for about a day now and added FSGenesis mesh. Using a ATI x850 card on a 3.5Ghz Northwood, 2 Gigs of ram, 1920x1200. With the old FS2004, FSG Mesh and UT Canada, it was a dream to fly everything maxed out, ... not like that anymore with FS-X.With FS-X the only way to make it flyable is to turn autogen OFF, nothing to do with the FSG mesh, its just FS-X alone with autogen runs the PC to the ground. Too bad, as maxed out autogen on FSX looks great, maybe one day, but not soon as it runs at 5fps at most in busy areas. Even with autogen off, I had to drop the screen resolution. Flying at 1920x1200 was a no-go resulted in blurry textures, and often slow framerates. I needed to drop to 1280x720 or so for consistant 20-30 fps.The default FSX mesh is very good in Canada, and adding the FSGenesis mesh adds a bit of detail, great... but the added mesh also brings up the usual issues, of sunken airports, shoreline issues, etc. Overtime I hope they will be corrected as before. Good news so far on the mesh side. FSGenesis FSX mesh in Canada has little impact I could see on frame rates. You can simply turn FSG mesh on as needed within FSX, no need to restart anymore. Guess it just depends where/how you fly, you can just turn on / off as needed.Compare default FS-X with FSGenesis mesh by looking at the screenshots from Western Canada in the mountains, Banff, Lake Louise. You can also see a FS2004 shot of Banff, and a real photo from the same spot. Be sure to view images full size, click on thumbnail and select ORIGINAL under imageScreenshots! http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/fsxFS2004 with FSG CC mesh and UT Canada seems ahead of FS-X at least for daytime mountain flying. Just looks better, clearer, more detail, and it runs much faster and you can max out the autogen.In Canada, FSX has decent landclass for some major cities, but lacks elsewhere. At Hope BC, the entire Fraser River is missing! I'm sure some addons will fix those up soon.Hope over time things will improve for FS-X as it does look to have promise if PCs ever catch up.

Love the real pic from Sulpher mtn. I was up there in July and was nary a flake of snow.

Guest Rayed

Thanks for comparision pictures. IMO there is way too little detail improvement over default mesh to bother with sunken airports etc..

Guest Len

Gotta tell you I much preferred the FS2004 Banff shot with FSG Mesh and UT than FSX.

Guest corkscorpion

To me those screenshots are more of an advert for the default mesh than for addon mesh. Not because the addon mesh is not better, just that it is not night and day better as was the case when compared with default mesh from previous versions of FS.

I too, prefer FS2004 with addons over FS-X for daytime flying. It's a good point, if the odd sunken airport is worth the trade off for the extra addon mesh detail in FS-X? Guess it depends where you fly. The shots were taken just to show differences, not to promote anything. The default FS-X Canada mesh does look so much better than the default mesh did in FS2004.With FS2004 the Western Canada FSGenesis mesh and Ultimate Terrain made a big difference in visuals and still allowed for running at 1920x1200.Maybe Microsoft is aware of big advances coming in computing power soon, it looks like FS-X will need them.

Guest Len

With FS2004 the Western Canada FSGenesis mesh and Ultimate Terrain made a big difference.I think the real point of this is that adding those addons (all of which I have - I have the 38m terrain mesh from FSG as well) there is hardly any real loss of frame rates. I can still fly those beautiful vistas with the addons at 1600x1200 32 bit. I'm dead in the water with FSX. What's going on?