Sign in to follow this  
jt233

Any regulations on runway length?

So I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this but don't know where else to post. Anyway I was wondering if there are any specific regulations or airline procedures regarding the amount of runway you should have left when you lift off the ground?

For example if you were taking off from an 11,000ft runway  and the calculations said you would require  10,800ft then you couldn't do it because of safety reasons. I would think there would have to be some sort of minimum to maintain safety. 

Jason Thiers

You can find in FAR23\25 or simular regulation.

For airliner (part25) as I familiar with, runway pavement have to satisfied with the longest of these 5 different length,

1.all engine TO to 35ft height with 15% addition,

2.single engine fail at 1second before V1, and continue to takeoff to 35ft height, if there is no clearway. (for wet runway,15ft)

3.in 2, if there is a clearway, the clearway could only stand for less than half the distence from lift-off to 35ft.

4.full engine acceleration to V1, 2second transition at speed V1 and full brake to stop.(reverser only allowed for calculation at wet).

5.full engines acceleration to 1 second before V1, one engine fail, 1second acceleration to V1, 2sceond transition at V1 and full brake to stop.(reverser..same)

And you need to adjust the distence as you enter the runway with a 90 or even 180 degree turn, that cost about 20~50 meters depende on type and angle.

With all these in mind (and the software's mind.) if your calculation gives a 2999m of TORR/TODR and you have 3000m runway, it's good to go.

For single engine GA, I heard it's take off up to 50ft height and land back from 50ft to full stop, I might be wrong.

Edited by C2615

2 hours ago, C2615 said:

2.single engine fail at 1second before V1, and continue to takeoff to 35ft height, if there is no cleanway. (for wet runway,15ft)

Just for clarification for the OP in case he googles the different items, it's clearway, not cleanway.

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

Just for clarification for the OP in case he googles the different items, it's clearway, not cleanway.

Ah,sorry, I'll edit that.