Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

It's Starting!

55 minutes ago, Mengy said:

PS: Is the NDA all encompassing, or are you guys allowed to post very generic and vague impressions?  I'm really desperate to hear any impressions, we have so long to wait yet!

The NDA

1 minute ago, Emerson67 said:

And for the people wondering, notice the line;

"You acknowledge that everything related to this Program is confidential and should be treated as confidential until such time as Microsoft releases it."

So by agreeing to it, which people have done to get into the alpha, they could technically be breaking it by sharing the emails and merely saying that you are in. So make sure you aren't behind usernames or real names in your profile, that could lead them back to your Microsoft account / application if you want to be on the safe side. Though, I suspect they are more worried about the 5 points they've listed, so testers aren't streaming it, uploading content to YouTube or going into gritty details on forums. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Right.  They don't seem to have objected when some of us ID'd ourselves as tech alpha participants (though I'd worried about that).

The main point is not to reveal MSFS content, or impressions about it, by any means.

Apart from doing something egregious like posting videos, the point for Avsimers to keep in mind is #3: "Do not describe any part of the Game on any venue unless we've instructed you to."

So, radio silence from here on.

Happy to continue to share unfounded opinions about the state of flightsim in general, though... which is what we've mostly been doing up 'til now... 😎

7 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

keep in mind is #3: "Do not describe any part of the Game on any venue unless we've instructed you to."

And per rule #4, do not forget to lock the door! 🔒🗝️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emerson67 said:

And per rule #4, do not forget to lock the door! 🔒🗝️

I'll tell my cats.

They won't be happy.

But rules are rules.

• Like 3

Well, this should be interesting........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Identifying yourself as a tester in such a public venue is not truly respecting the NDA imo; it puts weight on everything you say in the context of the software and invites you to be hounded for information, screenshots or even leaks. Those testers are very lucky the developers have chosen to be tolerant of it.

@Greazer NDA are there for that reason (and also to stop competition gaining an advantage), they don't want lots of negative publicity about things that are not in their intended finished functionality and quality. And too much hype too soon is not good either. Testers should be respectful of the Devs wishes or not participate.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

6 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@Greazer NDA are there for that reason (and also to stop competition gaining an advantage), they don't want lots of negative publicity about things that are not in their intended finished functionality and quality. And too much hype too soon is not good either. Testers should be respectful of the Devs wishes or not participate.

Of course I will respect the NDA.

11 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Identifying yourself as a tester in such a public venue is not truly respecting the NDA imo; it puts weight on everything you say in the context of the software and invites you to be hounded for information, screenshots or even leaks. Those testers are very lucky the developers have chosen to be tolerant of it.

I suspect that goes a bit too far. I have never heard of a restriction on mentioning you are beta testing a product, and in fact Avsim itself specifically requests that beta testers identify themselves on the forum........ 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I got one earlier but was taking a nap 😉

Edited by Harold_Finch

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

24 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I suspect that goes a bit too far. I have never heard of a restriction on mentioning you are beta testing a product, and in fact Avsim itself specifically requests that beta testers identify themselves on the forum........ 

It's not that black and white. What the Avsim staff wants is irrelevant in the context of an NDA. Every beta testing program at every company is different. There are no set in stone rules or standards that say you can or can't share if you're involved. It's ultimately up to what the NDA/company states. In the case of the MSFS Insider Program NDA, the language is slightly vague, but it's definitely more responsible to say less than to say more. If you're not allowed to talk about your experience or post media, there's no real reason to share that you're involved anyway. Those that were accepted need to remember that members of Asobo browse this forum, so whatever they say about the Insider Program, the devs will likely see.

Many alpha/beta programs happen for products outside of flight sim, and some state that you can't share that you're involved. Sometimes it's because the product isn't announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes (ie. in the case of MSFS) it's there as a very clear reminder that you can't talk about the details of the beta (if you aren't allowed to even say you're involved, you definitely shouldn't be talking about the beta or sharing media).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Brandon Filer

It's possible a follow up E-Mail will clarify the NDA.

For example, for signing to test the Halo Reach on PC, the generic Microsoft NDA said you couldn't share anything, including that you were in the program, but the actual testing e-mails (and blog posts) said you were allowed to.

But considering they haven't let anyone record footage at the press events, I doubt they'll let Alpha Testers do it.

Edited by Tuskin38

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

Identifying yourself as a tester in such a public venue is not truly respecting the NDA imo

I don't disagree.  When the acceptance e-mail first went out, the NDA wasn't attached or included - we'd seen it during the application process but in that moment, as people were first posting about being accepted. it wasn't at the top of my mind. So I posted too.  Once I'd been reminded of it, it made me a bit uneasy, and I'm grateful Microsoft and Asobo haven't objected.  The result is that, because I posted, it's on record that I'm part of the tech alpha.  So I'm willing to repeat that. But I definitely won't be saying anything more about it.  I'll post about things that MS and Asobo release to the public, and I'll post about industry issues, but that's about it.  Radio silence about everything else.