Sign in to follow this  
QFA1213

Auto Ignition/probe heat

Hi Bryan,

I was just testing out FS2Crew for the NGXu and was wondering if there is any plans to support the option for auto position options (probe heat and engine start switches). I understand it could be a limitation with the current PMDG sdk.

FCOM vol 1 included with the NGXu mentions that aircraft with auto ignition should have the start switches left in auto for the duration of the flight (No need to move to cont) however they are still required to be set to cont for heavy precipitation and flt for severe turbulence. These references can be found throughout by searching "engine start switches" or "without automatic ignition" within the pdf.

Regarding probe heat, the FS2Crew SOP tutorials correctly show OFF/AUTO in the shutdown checklist however in the sim OFF is still read out instead of AUTO on aircraft with the auto position.

Thanks

Brendan

Edited by QFA1213

I just did two flights with Version 1.1B

The auto probe heat now works correctly.

Regarding auto ignition, it appears that the logic for moving the switch has changed but not for reading the checklist. Note that I've only tested using SOP 1.

On the before taxi checklist, off is read as position of the engine start switches (instead of auto as positioned).

Similarly on the landing checklist, the switch is in the auto position, however, reading continuous gives "are you sure" as expected and auto also gives "are you sure". Ideally, I would like an option to disable this line of the checklist completely, which according to the PMDG FCOMs is not required if auto ignition is installed.

Thanks for the update

Brendan

3 hours ago, QFA1213 said:

I just did two flights with Version 1.1B

The auto probe heat now works correctly.

Regarding auto ignition, it appears that the logic for moving the switch has changed but not for reading the checklist. Note that I've only tested using SOP 1.

On the before taxi checklist, off is read as position of the engine start switches (instead of auto as positioned).

Similarly on the landing checklist, the switch is in the auto position, however, reading continuous gives "are you sure" as expected and auto also gives "are you sure". Ideally, I would like an option to disable this line of the checklist completely, which according to the PMDG FCOMs is not required if auto ignition is installed.

Thanks for the update

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Argggh 🙂

This should fix it... let me know!  Download this:

http://fs2crew.com/storage/deletethis/ngxu.zip

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for that. Just did a quick test and it all appears to work now.

Brendan

Hi again,

Hopefully this will be the last issue in this read. I noticed today that the probe heat switch remains in the auto position. I believe that the switch must still be moved to on.

Thanks

Brendan

According to the FCOM, normal procedures->before taxi procedure probe heat switches shall be switched to on during the before taxi procedure even if the a/c is equipped with auto probe heat. In the after landing procedures they need to be turned back to AUTO.
Also, If i remember correctly, during cold wx operation the probe heat shall be switched on during the preflight.

Edited by Almog Atar

Almog Atar

From a bit of reading I believe auto was introduced after an incident to ensure that it is always active in flight. The operation of probe heat while the switch is in auto is linked to an engine running. I can't find a reason why on is still required but I'd guess it would be something type rating/commonality related.

The FCOMs provided by PMDG don't mention auto probe heat so the most authoritative source I could find was this online FCOM from a google search: https://www.737flightsimulator.nl/pdf/FCOM_737.pdf

I also found a copy of the service bulletin relating to auto probe heat:  https://services.casa.gov.au/airworth/airwd/ADfiles/OVER/B737/2012-24-08.pdf

Hopefully these help

Brendan