Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Could you test the following?

I know the new MSFS will have a mix of new and old code, there were two things in FSX that never got fixed, even in P3D and I wonder if you could see if they have been adjusted in the new sim, and if not maybe make suggestions to the devs.

First is the vertical speed where using the autopilot.  It would never actually use the speed that was set, and would descend much slower unless you jiggled the indicator.  Then it would catch and react properly.

The other issue comes up when using the keyboard for throttle control.  It starts out fine, but after one hour it would change magically and be only 1/4 responsive.

For us keyboard fliers (can use a stick, long explanation) the idea of aircraft becoming less responsive with speed was kind of odd.  It would be nice if that was done away with for MSFS, but I don't know if it's worth hoping for.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Are you sure about the vertical speed with AP?? I have been Flying Bruce's simulator since 1982 and never noticed. (heavy AP user)??????

Never used the KB to fly so unsure about this....

Asus P6T deluxe v.2 MB, i7 940 3.5ghz CPU, 6gb ddr3 1600 Ram, ,1K watt Antec PS, 300gb 10k rpm vraptor HDD, Windows 7pro 64, nvidea 470 GTX, Track IR4, Matrox TH2G w/21" displays, Saitek X52 pro hotas and yoke, CH pedels, Butt Kicker

53 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

First is the vertical speed where using the autopilot.  It would never actually use the speed that was set, and would descend much slower unless you jiggled the indicator.  Then it would catch and react properly.

The problem is that most airplanes incorrectly default to a certain V/S, e.g. +700fpm once you select a new altitude.  You have to actively adjust the V/S so that the AP uses it. That's one of the areas that's not wrong in the basic FSX/P3D design and this can be simply adjusted in the aircraft.cfg file.

Constant speed prop sound, trimming, leaning, turboprop simulation, at least these items are fundamentaly wrong in FSX/P3D and it's very likely that these problens are not happening in the new MSFS.

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

Constant speed prop sound, trimming, leaning, turboprop simulation, at least these items are fundamentaly wrong in FSX/P3D and it's very likely that these problens are not happening in the new MSFS.

Is this were fixed would trimming be easier or harder? I have difficulty keeping altitude with trimming.

4 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Is this were fixed would trimming be easier or harder? I have difficulty keeping altitude with trimming.

Don't think that this will significantly change (with a good FDE it shouldn't be a problem in FSX/P3D in calm air), especially when you consider that you are actually trimming for a certain speed and not altitude. 

• Like 1

Oh another thing.  If you're on AP and save your flight, then close the program (people do have other things to do … once in a while)  when you come back the AP will not be engaged anymore.

• Like 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I don’t know about the rest of the real pilots here, but I learned that you would trim in climbing or descending and at reaching your desired altitude, to take the pressure off of the yoke and by doing that would maintain altitude fairly well. In FSX this did not work well at all, it always would start to gain or lose altitude slowly right after you set it. :mellow:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cayenne said:

Are you sure about the vertical speed with AP?? I have been Flying Bruce's simulator since 1982 and never noticed. (heavy AP user)??????

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

46 minutes ago, jpc55 said:

I don’t know about the rest of the real pilots here, but I learned that you would trim in climbing or descending and at reaching your desired altitude, to take the pressure off of the yoke and by doing that would maintain altitude fairly well. In FSX this did not work well at all, it always would start to gain or lose altitude slowly right after you set it. :mellow:

May depend on some (few) aircraft and how they were modeled.  None I fly show that issue.  If you had the issue with all aircraft then you have not learned how to trim.  Porpoising is a function of lift and speed.  As you reach your target altitude and lower the nose you gain speed.  With increased speed comes increased lift.  You do not achieve level flight with just trim.  You also adjust power.  otherwise you just gain or lose speed as you apply up and down trim, and you porpoise.  Bruce and Stu had that simulated in 1982.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

56 minutes ago, fppilot said:

You also adjust power

True, and when you have reaching your desired altitude, you would pull the throttle back to say 75% and then trim pressure off the yoke, I'm referring to GA aircraft.