Sign in to follow this  
TomCYYZ

Flight Plans Not Showing Up in Import List

I have created flight plans in .gfp format using the Simbrief FP creator. The plans are created and dropped into : "Program Data\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN". When I attempt to Import a FP, I do not see half the plans that are in the FPLN folder (Total 121, I ONLY see 51 of those in the Import List). Maybe the answer is that there is a limit to the number of flight plans allowed in the FPLN folder?

Regards,

TS

Edited by TomCYYZ

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

When you get right down to it, it probably is NO real Biggie for me. It's just a matter of a minute or so to manually input the flight plan for most turboprop flights (5 or 6 waypoints), then dd it to the Catalog.  Also, another question though. If I have a plan with a jetway  (eg. J115 or whatever) do I have to manually input all waypoints that are included in J115 or is there a shortcut for doing this within the GTN750.

Regards,

TS

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

1 hour ago, TomCYYZ said:

I have to manually input all waypoints that are included in J115 or is there a shortcut for doing this within the GTN750

All you need is the entry waypoint and your exit waypoint.  

There are several topics here in the Reality XP support area pertaining to importing flight plans.  I recommend you seek them out and read.  There is a convenience, but to avoid issues due to sequences in nav databases and updated published approaches, Garmin has built in rules to protect itself and the pilot.  Example, an arrival CHCKN1 soon becomes CHCKN2, then 3 then 4, and what is used in the import must match what is in the GTN database you are using.  Otherwise  the flight plan is rejected or locked upon attempt to import.   So if you save a flight plan and then attempt to import it a year from now there will likely be issues. 

Another example is waypoint names.  BUNKA is a waypoint in the midwest in USA, but is also the name of a waypoint in the African country of Ivory Coast.  When you attempt to import a plan with a waypoint that has duplicates in the database, Garmin does not allow the GTN to choose which of them for you (such as which Bunka).  So it locks the imported flight plan, forcing you to edit it in the gauge.  There are numerous such waypoint duplicates in the databases.  This is a Garmin rule in its trainer software, not a Reality XP issue.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Another example is waypoint names.  BUNKA is a waypoint in the midwest in USA, but is also the name of a waypoint in the African country of Ivory Coast.  When you attempt to import a plan with a waypoint that has duplicates in the database, Garmin does not allow the GTN to choose which of them for you (such as which Bunka).  So it locks the imported flight plan, forcing you to edit it in the gauge.  There are numerous such waypoint duplicates in the databases.  This is a Garmin rule in its trainer software, not a Reality XP issue.

Thanks for that. I appreciate the quick & helpful response to this thread. I assume half of my FP's have duplicate waypoints then. When you say "edit it in the GUAGE". I am not sure what you mean by the term "Guage".   I f I choosed to edit the plan how do I know which waypoint is the culprit?

But the more you put on the front end of the flight plan for import or at the end of that flight plan will often come back to haunt you.  What I do is create the flight plan for import with only the departure airport, arrival airport, entry point to the first major airway, transition point (if applicable) to the next airway, same for subsequent airways (if applicable) and exit waypoint.   I stay away from departure runway and/or departure procedure, as well as shying away from using an arrival procedure or arrival runway.  All of those can change in real time due to wind speed and direction.  So the flight plan for import is only the basics, and the departure end and arrival end specifics are later edited into the simulator GTN (gauge) in real time as they become available.  That works famously.

It is also what is done in real world.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks Frank, that would work for me. It makes perfect sense! I may just use that process for my GTN750 Plans from now on. I like the fact that I have the ability to easily make changes to the route on the fly.

Regards,

Tom