Sign in to follow this  
MDFlier

Can someone give me some hints on timing?

I'm on my 3rd attempt at the SOP 2 voice tutorial. I must be really missing something here. I am nowhere close to being able to get even the basic tasks completed before the 25 minute timer is expired. If I start at cold & dark, the FO will power up the aircraft and leave for the walk around. I immediately run the steps on the preliminary preflight procedure. After that,  I have to pull up my (simbrief) briefing, and start programming the CDU. I start with payload, then I call GSX catering and fuel, and then I do the position init, then page 1 of route info, then departure / arrival info, then finish page 2 of route info (KMCO CAMDT PATOY Q116 JAWJA MGM SQS KF33E KK39C LBL HALEN ZPLYN3 KDEN). At some point, the fuel truck arrives, so I need to input the fuel on board. Next, I need to open/close the doors for the caterers. After fueling, I go to the EFB to do the performance calculations so I have the derate information that I need to input into the N! settings page. Then I go to the takeoff page and set the wind, slope, and flaps, then go to the legs page to d/l the winds aloft. then to the descent page to input the descent forecast, and finally to the approach page (I guess I could do this enroute). By now, the FA has asked me if it's okay to board, and the FO is over there changing pages on the 2nd CDU. Why is he doing that? He has no idea what is in the briefing. Hence, he has no idea what to input. It messes up my flow when he changes which screen is active and I have to switch from whatever he was doing in the FMC portion to the FS Actions menu. By the time I have all this done, I'm at +12 on the timer. Without FS2Crew, going from cold and dark to pushback usually takes me about 35-45 minutes. I have no idea  to shorten the time required so that I can input all of the data required for the flight and still be able to interact with FS2Crew the way that it was designed. I feel like I'm racing it... And losing badly.

Can someone give me a clue as to how all of the basic tasks can be accomplished within the time constraints given. I am completely confused.

Edited by MDFlier

Good thing you're not working for a LCC with your 45 minute setup time 🙂

I might suggest setting everything up first, then run the FS2Crew Pre-Flight events.

Two things to note about the Pre Flight events:

1. They are optional.

2. You can fast forward the time down.

LOL. I'd be fired within a week, I'm sure. But to be fair, in real life I'd have spent an hour doing the derate calculations, etc, over a cup of coffee in the crew room before even stepping onto the airplane. 

Fast forward??? I need rewind. Or a pause button. 😉

Edited by MDFlier

During our preflight flow we only set up the route, perf init and emergency turn (fix pages).

Calculating the takeoff performance is only done after the loadsheet arrives, so it is the last thing before going offblock.
Maybe this expedites your turnaround a little.

Once you're used to them the whole procedure will take you maybe 10-15 minutes, including the setup and briefing.

For the first flight of the day the aircraft is usually prefueled and catering, etc. is done over the night long before we arrive at the aircraft. This may expedite things for you a little if it is GSX that's holding things up.

• Like 1

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

On 12/6/2019 at 12:22 AM, AirbusCG said:

During our preflight flow we only set up the route, perf init and emergency turn (fix pages).

Calculating the takeoff performance is only done after the loadsheet arrives, so it is the last thing before going offblock.
Maybe this expedites your turnaround a little.

Once you're used to them the whole procedure will take you maybe 10-15 minutes, including the setup and briefing.

For the first flight of the day the aircraft is usually prefueled and catering, etc. is done over the night long before we arrive at the aircraft. This may expedite things for you a little if it is GSX that's holding things up.

This was very helpful. It made me realize that I was trying to incorporate things that aren't crew duties into the crew workflows.

I changed my routine up and manged to get a pretty good handle on things. Now, the first thing I do when I start a flight is turn on the battery and ground power and immediately call for catering and fuel. While they are doing their thing, I set the ZFW in the CDU and tune Com 1 to 122.0 to get the field winds, temperature, and pressure that I need to do the takeoff performance calculations in the EFB. After fueling is complete, the EFB can read the weight and balance numbers from the airplane so I can complete the takeoff performance calculations using the weather info I collected. Now I have the temperature and de-rate information I need. Once I've done all of that (the maintenance and FBO duties) are done, everything is set so I can perform my flight crew related duties as usual within the FS2Crew time constraints. When the time hits 25 minutes prior to departure, I start the PF activities.

It's working fine for me now. I usually set the time for my flights in P3d to 45 minutes prior to departure. I "chase" live flights from Flightaware, so I have to input their flight info into Simbrief roughly an hour before departure to give me time to get everything running. This also gives me time to customize the vehicle positions in GSX if the flight starts off at a gate I've never used before and I need to do that. I can wait for a departure, but it isn't going to wait for me, LOL.

That being said, I'm thoroughly enjoying FS2Crew. I should have tried it a long time ago.

Final edit: Thank goodness I can finally just call for gear up instead of actually having to concentrate on trying to get the bloody gear lever to go up with the mouse. I refuse to press G after simply right clicking on the handle all this time in the NGX. In the NGXu, you gotta right click it once to get it to the off position, then you have to left click the lock trigger, and then right click the handle again to get it to go up. I get that PMDG wants to be accurate and all, but come on. I can't be doing all that right after takeoff...

Edited by MDFlier
spleling errorz