Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Airlines SOPs

Hi,

First of all, thank you FS2Crew for this update, it was really needed. 🙂

Maybe this question has been answered before. Is there a list of Airlines and SOPs so we can choose SOP based on the airline we fly, to do it more realistically? 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

I know of no such list.

But to give you some help.

SOP1 is basically generic out of the book Boeing.

SOP 2 is from Down Under.

SOP 3 is from a very large airline in Europe.

If in doubt, just go with SOP 1.

But a lot of people like SOP 3 because they get to do most of the work, unlike the other SOPs where the virtual FO does much of the work.

Thank you very much Bryan for the fast reply! I'd mostly use SOP3 then.

I will make a guess and say that SOP3 could be Ryanair? If there are pilots here who may know, I'm sure many would be glad to know which SOP use specific airlines. 

Edited by Daedalus

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

58 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

I will make a guess and say that SOP3 could be Ryanair? If there are pilots here who may know, I'm sure many would be glad to know which SOP use specific airlines.

I'm not a pilot but AFAIK Ryanair let the PF do a lot of PM stuff at the same time. I don't remember exactly the reason but I think it was something along the lines of familiarizing FOs with the Captain's job and/or letting them engage more actively for training purposes. Either way, SOP3 is most likely Ryanair because their SOP is pretty unique.

Most American airlines I think use SOP1 or a slightly customized version of it but are largely going with the Boeing recommended way. United and Delta use SOP1 mostly to the book from what I know.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

As I know, the Boeing SOP(NP) changed dramatically after 2003 or 2005 ish, for 737 all to 777. Before that is something like SOP3 (but even more exhaust IMO), and now SOP1.  You can find some non-offical information here about this change:http://www.b737.org.uk/nnp.htm

Also there is a video provide by boeing to explain the changes and philosophy behind it ,but I can't search it out on youtube

To me, the SOP3 feels like the flow that used by buses now, leave a lot things to do at taxi and approaching, I'd rather like the new SOP set to do more things before taxi and before descend, and leave the critical phase more sterilized

Edited by C2615

10 minutes ago, C2615 said:

To me, the SOP3 feels like the flow that used by buses now, leave a lot things to do at taxi and approaching, I'd rather like the new SOP set to do more things before taxi and before descend, and leave the critical phase more sterilized

Knowing Ryanair the reason to do a lot of things during taxi rather than before is likely to save time...

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

12 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Knowing Ryanair the reason to do a lot of things during taxi rather than before is likely to save time...

There is not a lot done during taxi.
The Takeoff Briefing part is only a review of the more extensive briefing done during the preflight. It serves to refresh your mind on the most important things like Noise Abatement Procedure, SID, Emergency Turn, etc.
The rest is only checking, not doing anything.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

4 minutes ago, AirbusCG said:

There is not a lot done during taxi.
The Takeoff Briefing part is only a review of the more extensive briefing done during the preflight. It serves to refresh your mind on the most important things like Noise Abatement Procedure, SID, Emergency Turn, etc.
The rest is only checking, not doing anything.

Ah. I never used SOP3 myself in the sim, just deduced from earlier comments there might be a bit of workload.

Is the reason for having the PF do a lot of PM stuff I outlined above correct?

Edited by threegreen

2 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Ah. I never used SOP3 myself in the sim, just deduced from earlier comments there might be a bit of workload.

"Workload" is relative, once you are familiar with the SOP the setup won't take you longer than 10 minutes. Which leaves 15 for the briefing, paperwork, etc. before you go again 😉

Flicking a couple of switches only takes a matter of seconds, it doesn't really matter whether the PF or PM does it as long as the aircraft is stationary.

Once moving SOP3 got the same devided areas of responsibility as SOP1 and 2 have.

• Like 1

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!