Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tingoose

Cant run FSX? Well check this out!

Guest SanH

I have been reading on the forums about some of the problems some users are reporting when running FSX. Stories of 3-4fps on Athlon XP 3400+ systems etc. etc. and blaming Microsoft for not producing this or that.I figured i would help redress the balance :)I have the following rig:Athlon XP 3200+1024 RAM128mb GEFORCE 5900XTHardly a state of the art PC. I have all my settings at 'medium high'. The only things i have toned down are water at 1x and autogen at sparce. I have the demo only(FSX is not out here in the UK yet) but check out the frame rates i get in the pictures below. There are virtual cockpit shots and external shots. My machine is locked at 19FPS and i get that consistently. Sometimes it drops to 15FPS but it still feels smooth.Now before someone childish (i have seen them around on this forum) starts calling me a liar, micro$oft employee blah blah blah i am merely trying to say that if you are not getting good frame rates (especially 3 or 4fps as reported on an earlier post) then it might be possible its your computer!!!!All i am waiting for (apart from FSX) is for someone to create smaller files out of the autogen textures and then i can crank that up too.Cant wait for FSX to come out here in the UK. Hats off to the guys at ACES!

Is that FS9?The water sure looks like FS9. And why do you have all those blurries? You may want to consider Ultimate terrain for FS9. :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

OK, I believe you can run FSX. With default a/c and most of the sliders turned down. But what's the point? If you can't at least run the FSX 2x water, FS9 looks better. Further, FS9 has headroom for more detailed a/c. It's going to be a LONG time before the hardware catches up with the demands of FXS. The FSX code has very little multithreading and AMD and Intel are both focussing on multicore processors to achieve CPU speed increases rather than increased clock rate. The new quadcore processors, due for release later this year, will do little to improve frame rates in FSX.Sorry if I sound pesimistic but that is the reality at the moment. All the complaints we are seeing on the boards do have some basis in fact.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest SanH

Fair points. If i turn the water to max it looks ugly because my rather crappy graphics card cant render it correctly.You do need a pretty high end machine to get the most out of FSX but i dont think another FS will be out for around 3 years by which time there will be much better hardware available to run FSX.

San your running the demo version (90% water) with really low autogen and water settings. Once you buy FSX and switch to Seattle you too will be getting 5 fps (max) ;)

Guest camtech

All depends on how you set it up my friend, i use my com for FS9 only, i get rid of all things that are not needed , i dont use the net on my coms because i have a dedicated com for that, if i download software i will use a com that is not connected in anyway to my sim coms, i get rid of all those pop up warning s and such, in fact i take the time to see what is needed and what is not needed, i put as much resoreces to the sim as possible, all that crap in the tool bar i get rid of.one thing i learned over the years with this sim is that it demands cpu attention, and if you use your com for other things like the net . or other things you add-on that may have nothin to do with the sim , you will be amazed at the junk warnings and hidden software, that will affect your com.another thing i leaned is that once you start the sim it will load fast, and each time you load it again it gets slower and slower, that is the nature of the beast, so weekly i defrag with an great defrag program.to me as real pilots check there plane before they take off , i as a simmer check to see if my systems hardware is defraged and ready to go, and i make darn sure there are no hidden junk that will slow me down.Yes FSX is going to be a hog on your system and it demands your strict attention, i have a eight monitor set up with six coms, what im seeing with the Demo is i believe i will get better frame rates as long as i follow my procedures to the letter.as i said before most average simmers use there com for other things, i dont, ( very important in my humble opinion ).i will get the frame rate i need with all of my software loaded into it. and i mean i have a lot of software to add-on, radar contact, active sky and countless others. etc.even when i reformat and the hard drive is clean , i still will get rid of useless crap that is not needed.It is a challenge but worth it to me. To me FSX is going to be great to work with.Hardcore simmer..............Robert

Guest Tingoose

SanH.......you must know that frame rates vary considerably depending on where you're flying. The trouble is many quote frame rates but don't give all the variables. As someone pointed out above, wait until you get the full version and fly in a populated area like London, with several major airports in a small area, and AI traffic will natuarlly be dense, then those blurred textures you've already got will look even worse and that's before you consider any third party addons.