Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Honeycomb yoke - is it worth it? If so best place to buy

Hey folks.  I'm tempted to finally invest in a yoke, coming from the saitek garbage.  I'm not looking to spend a terrible amount of money and the honeycomb caught my eye.  Seems to be right in the price point I've been looking for and it seems like quality from some reviews I've read.  Im wondering what the real world folks think that are using it.  Also - wondering what might be the best place to pick one up.  I saw a few sites linked on their page but I haven't done business with any of them to know how reputable they are.  I'm in the states (NYC).  Thanks!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Take a look at Brunner. Best investment i have made for the simulator. I don't know a honeycomb or how it might compare. Brunner not cheap but force feedback when using active weather is wonderful!

19 minutes ago, lennie said:

Take a look at Brunner. Best investment i have made for the simulator. I don't know a honeycomb or how it might compare. Brunner not cheap but force feedback when using active weather is wonderful!

I had my eye on them awhile ago but just couldn't stomach the cost.  No doubt I'm sure it's worth it, I just can't justify that price tag for me for now.  I mostly fly airliners (Currently on the a320 for awhile now so from what I gather, there's no FF on that sidestick).  The 737 that I also gravitate to I'm not sure what the story would be there, but I don't believe there would be much feedback there from what I've read (RW pilots can chime in).  Now for a C172, I vaguely remember some sort of feedback when I flew with my cousin, but this was 15+ years ago.  So a limited use to me.  I've seem some videos and it does look cool when running AP though!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

57 minutes ago, pegruder said:

Hey folks.  I'm tempted to finally invest in a yoke, coming from the saitek garbage.  I'm not looking to spend a terrible amount of money and the honeycomb caught my eye.  Seems to be right in the price point I've been looking for and it seems like quality from some reviews I've read.  Im wondering what the real world folks think that are using it.  Also - wondering what might be the best place to pick one up.  I saw a few sites linked on their page but I haven't done business with any of them to know how reputable they are.  I'm in the states (NYC).  Thanks!

I have been using the Honeycomb since it arrived. (pre orded) I only have P3d and Vertx DA62loaded on my computer anymore. I am very happy with it and don't mind recommending it. I do find the elevator axis to be a bit stiff but not distracting and if you use a bit more trim than what you may have in the past then it becomes second nature. All in all I am a happy camper!

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, pegruder said:

Check fhe following. It's nice to know what's available.

https://www.fulcrumsim.com/

Availability planned for January. Happy shopping! I've opted to wait for reviews which should follow soon after release.

Edited by Jean-Jacques

47 minutes ago, Jean-Jacques said:

Check fhe following. It's nice to know what's available.

Availability planned for January. Happy shopping! I've opted to wait for reviews which should follow soon after release.

Wow -good to see we have alot of options!  I will say that might still be outside of the range I was willing to spend which is why I was gravitating to the honeycomb.  Seemed to be right in the wheelhouse, but - since I'm not in a rush - I'll wait a bit!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

I've got a Honeycomb Alpha on the way, although I have to wait until Christmas per my wife's orders. (gift from her and my sons.) 🙂 I'm coming from an 18 year old Saitek Joystick, so this will for sure be night and day better. I've heard some say the pitch resistance is too stiff, and others say it's non big deal, and more natural. It'll be hard to say for myself until I have it on my desk in front of me. Definitely excited to say the least. I couldn't stomach the cost of anything like the Brunner, though I would love one.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 32 GB DDR4 | Geforce RTX 3080 | Samsung Evo 970 M.2 | Dual 1440p screen | Win 10 Pro

Honeycomb Alpha Flight Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo Throttle | Thrust master TPR Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

I've been using the Honeycomb Yoke daily since June in Beta Testing airliners and I love it. I posted a report on the Honeycomb Yoke here on AVSIM.  It's the best Yoke for the money I've ever seen.  Austin Meyers from Laminar Research did a comparison of quite a number of Yokes and he loved the Honeycomb and found it was the best cost benefit wise.  You can find his video on Youtube.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Honeycomb yoke is a quantum leap forward. Totally enjoy mine which I've had a month now. A really great yoke for those of us who are not in the same economic class with Daddy Warbucks.

Vic green

Yeah, that Honeycomb looks the way to go if you like to fly Boeing and I do. I'll definitely treat myself to that setup at some point soon. It seems like a lot of good stuff for $450. Just add rudder peddles. No doubt they are working on their own. By shares in that company because when Microsoft Flight Simulator goes to market they are going through the roof! Only I don't like the design of the thing. It's way to frilly or busy. I prefer a cleaner look.

Does it have Hall effect potentiometers? If no,no good...

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

2 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

Does it have Hall effect potentiometers? If no,no good...

It reportedly uses 'regular' but high quality aerospace grade potentiometers and comes with a 5 year warranty and free lifetime tech support.

Al

Edited by ark

Give the Yoko + from Virtual Fly some thought. Admittedly it is a bit pricey, but an excellent piece of gear. Hall effect sensors, and a good ergonomic design. Features a PTT button, Elevator trim, rudder trim, A/P disconnect, and pan switches, and it doesn't look like a juke box.

Neil

• Like 1

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

1 hour ago, Freo said:

Give the Yoko + from Virtual Fly some thought. Admittedly it is a bit pricey, but an excellent piece of gear. Hall effect sensors, and a good ergonomic design. Features a PTT button, Elevator trim, rudder trim, A/P disconnect, and pan switches, and it doesn't look like a juke box.

Neil

Funny enough, Yoko was my first choice until I heard about the Honeycomb.  I'll look in to it again.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

For those in the market for a new yoke don't forget Fulcrum are close to releasing their model. Hall-effect sensors, all metal construction and for non-Brits the exchange rate will make it very attractive financially. Cost around 358 GBP plus your local VAT / State taxes. That's around 40% of the cost of a Yoko.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather