Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Trying to get more performance out of P3D

14 minutes ago, micstatic said:

helpful thread.  I'm curious.  I am running in 4k.  Native display is 3840x2160 and 60hz.  That's how I have it set in windows.  Right now I use nvidia CP to change refresh to 30hz when flying.  Then have it go back to 60 when I close the program.  This all happens automatically.  But here is my question.  Is there and pro/con to keeping the way I have it vs doing this RIVA /2 method?

I’m pretty sure vsync/TB with a monitor’s native 30hz option is superior to scan line sync.

i still have question to Greg,

i've follewed your tips, but in P3D the display shows me still up to 42 FPS, even i set the RTSS framerate limit to 30 FPS.

Further i ticked the button to start with windows. I can't find a button to save the settings.

Joachim

Regards Joachim

@threegreen is using a Samsung TV as his display. Many TVs will not run at 30Hz, only 60Hz.

Perhaps if he gave the model details the minimum refresh rate could be checked. My BenQ 32” UHD monitor does run at 30Hz but then again, it’s getting on for twice the price.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@threegreen is using a Samsung TV as his display. Many TVs will not run at 30Hz, only 60Hz.

Perhaps if he gave the model details the minimum refresh rate could be checked. My BenQ 32” UHD monitor does run at 30Hz but then again, it’s getting on for twice the price.

My TV runs at 60Hz by default but I was able to just change it to 30Hz in the Windows advanced display settings menu. It appears to work much better this way but I have yet to do a full flight so I can evaluate better. Hopefully in the next few days.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

37 minutes ago, threegreen said:

My TV runs at 60Hz by default but I was able to just change it to 30Hz in the Windows advanced display settings menu. It appears to work much better this way but I have yet to do a full flight so I can evaluate better. Hopefully in the next few days.

I hadn't realised the minimum refresh rate could be changed by Windows. Interesting. I tried 30Hz but found mouse lag was an irritant so reverted to 60Hz.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 12/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, bbuckley said:

I start RTSS from FSUIPC5 setting an affinity to LP0 & LP1 and I set my P3D affinity to all LPs EXCEPT 0 & 1

Same here. I lost all micro stutters using this method in addition to a few other changes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Prisco said:

i still have question to Greg,

i've follewed your tips, but in P3D the display shows me still up to 42 FPS, even i set the RTSS framerate limit to 30 FPS.

Further i ticked the button to start with windows. I can't find a button to save the settings.

I'm not sure how or if RTSS Scanline Sync will work with multiple monitors.  If there are multiple monitors, how will RTSS Scanline Sync know which monitor to work on?  Your 42 FPS may be evidence that it doesn't "choose" between multiple monitors well at all.  For more info on Scanline Sync go here and some early development discussion here

Greg

15 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I'm not sure how or if RTSS Scanline Sync will work with multiple monitors.  If there are multiple monitors, how will RTSS Scanline Sync know which monitor to work on?  Your 42 FPS may be evidence that it doesn't "choose" between multiple monitors well at all.  For more info on Scanline Sync go here and some early development discussion here

Greg

Works fine if you stretch the image across all three. I'm running three Dell 27" UltraSharps. Separate windows on each monitor, don't know.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, newtie said:

Works fine if you stretch the image across all three. I'm running three Dell 27" UltraSharps. Separate windows on each monitor, don't know.

Ahh, I see.  I figured the Scanline Sync would be a challenge to set-up for multiple monitors, but then again we are not using SS the way it was intended.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Greg

I finally had the time to do a full flight today.

My TV is set to 30 Hz now with Vsync and TB enabled, FPS unlimited. I use an AM to put P3D onto cores 2-7 with all addons that I use on 0 and 1. Setting the TV to 30 Hz was obviously the most important change. P3D is running absolutely fantastic now. Even at complex airports with complex aircraft I get 30 FPS and if it ever drops below that it's not really noticeable because it's still smooth. I'm also using substantially higher settings now without any performance penalty.

I could have saved myself a lot of frustration by reading into monitor refresh rates with P3D earlier... 🙄

Thanks a lot everyone.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

53 minutes ago, threegreen said:

My TV is set to 30 Hz now with Vsync and TB enabled, FPS unlimited. I use an AM to put P3D onto cores 2-7 with all addons that I use on 0 and 1. Setting the TV to 30 Hz was obviously the most important change... I'm also using substantially higher settings now without any performance penalty.

Congrats!! 👍  Enjoy!

Greg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, threegreen said:

I'm also using substantially higher settings now without any performance penalty.

That's what I meant in post#8 of this thread.  I was surprised at how low your sliders were compared to what I normally run, and I have lesser hardware than you do.

You have found FS nirvana, or almost!  Have fun with it.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Wow, I’ve set my monitor to 30hz using Riva and what a difference!  I can’t believe I didn’t do this a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU