Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Scenery Tech Africa landclass...

Old, but is it still good, given the default FSX:SE Africa appearance? The reason I'm asking is that I recently bought FSDG Dakar which sticks out like a sore thumb on the existing landclass :biggrin:

Scenery Tech's site hasn't been updated in years, but the product is still for sale in simulshop, Flight 1 etc.at a reasonable price. I therefore assume that I should purchase the product rather than even consider other options? I don't believe the product is abandonware yet, even if it is years old.. (I'm not advocating piracy by any means!!!)

Thanks for your input.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

SceneryTech is still being supported.  I received assistance from the creator via email a couple of weeks ago.  I don't have Africa but I am happy with the North American version.

Those flight sim stores are selling add-on products through the expressed approval of the products' creators.  Therefore, none of the products being sold are abandonware.  Show your support for others' hard work by paying for them.  Like you said HighBypass, the price is reasonable.

• Upvote 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Thanks for your help, Bullpup. Off to pay for it after typing this.

EDIT: Well using the Flight 1 wrapper was quite painless. Now :cool:I'm off to Dakar! 

Edited by HighBypass
  • Like 1

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Given ORBX OpenLC Africa seems to have vanished into the thin air, has anyone tried to use this with Prepar3d4?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

EDIT: Well using the Flight 1 wrapper was quite painless. Now :cool:I'm off to Dakar! 

How does it look? I had been waiting for OpenLC Africa to try to improve the appearance of that continent but, now that that product looks increasingly less likely to materialise, Scenery Tech Africa looks like a viable alternative.

Bill

• Like 1

Bill. I'll endeavour to post up a couple of screenshots soon! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Here you go. A quick and dirty comparison before I go to bed: Top down views of zoomed-out GOBD. (Payware airport remember)

Default FSX:SE

1JT6Hgm.jpg

Now with Scenery Tech Landclass

OTrTj0x.jpg

And a google maps screenshot

bc2RsW9.jpg

As (I HOPE!) you can see - the ST landclass is a more accurate offering. Town and cities now appear (note the town of Thies to the north east of the airport for a specific example) and the vegetation changes too. Not bad for just a landclass. :cool:

IMHO it's a lot better than the default offering. Price is good at £11 odd from Flight 1 - Africa is an immense continent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Thanks Mark, that’s very helpful. I don’t fly to Africa very much but, like you, I recently bought Dakar and I have a couple of other North African ‘holiday’ airports which I occasionally fly to so it would be good to improve the default landclass. As you say, at £11 for a whole continent you can’t go too far wrong!

Bill

• Like 1

Mods, if I may post another couple of example screenshots:

Johannesburg (FAOR) without ST Lanclass

QtJ6GVl.jpg

With ST Landclass

Gg1qhzJ.jpg

Note the increased urbanisation and the relatively more rural enclosed area to the NW of the airport (Lethabong on google maps)

Here's google maps:

BH3KPdz.jpg

Edited by HighBypass
google maps
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Look for the Aeroworx stuff, which I believe you can find in the AVSIM library.  Its landclass is much better than SceneryTech's, although it only covers about the lower third of the continent.  It also includes a lot of vector scenery but you can just use the landclass if you wish.

Hopefully ORBX will finish openLC Africa soon.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

SceneryTech4 still advertises on AVSIM so hope others can provide support for them.

• Like 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I think I still have Scenery Tech Land Class, but if I do it's not installed as there were conflict issues with FTX Global Base Pack.

I also have many Aeroworx scenery, really like it.