Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Another Dash 8 Q400 question

Hi all-

I've been looking at this because of the discount. I've also followed some of the comments that it's hard to learn, but not really. A bit of a mix.

Anyway, does this aircraft have a ready to fly profile built in? I find it helpful when purchasing a complex aircraft.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by newtie
sp

Yes there are five profiles

1) default

2) cold and dark

3) boarding

4) ready to taxi

5) ready for takeoff

however, having listed the above you will require to know quite a few things to be able to takeoff, and land.

bob

Excellent. I think I'm going to get this. A lot of complimentary posts, but with the requisite effort.

Thanks

Hello Mark.

I was on the Dash 8 team from just about inception, had been feeding the project before it took off, and was one of the primary testers in the close to 6 years we worked on the Dash, and I'm still on the team (we have been working on some neat stuff here and there and we're about to pick things up full steam - but of course I can't say more than that).

Plain and simple, and I'll go to the mat with anyone on this being int he community for going on 4 decades, the Majestic Dash 8 Q400, especially the Professional version is one of the two finest and most complete simulators ever produced for desktop flight sim. The other is the Leonardo MaddogX (I'm also on that team).  And you may note that i say that as a part of Aerosoft.

The Dash is the only commercial turboprop aircraft I know of in flight sim that operates as close to a real turboprop as possible.  Any experienced flight simmer is going to be taken a little by surprise by her. As a fully modeled aircraft there is some things to learn, but the biggest learning curve is how a turboprop really operates - and believe me it's so different that non-turboprop commercial aircraft that it becomes a very welcome change and true true joy to fly.  You'll also have a choice of using a full fledged external flight dynamics engine (developed by NASA by the way) that gives the aircraft the ability to act more like a real aircraft than any existing aircraft in flight sim - or you can use the flight dynamics built into FSX or P3D (shutter at the thought of that).

One incredible feature is the Shared Cockpit on which I played a primary role. It's the best in all of flight sim, which isn't surprising when you consider the the absolutely genuis of the sole programmer of the Dash, Oleksiy Frolov - easily one of the top flight sim aircraft coders we've ever had in the community.

You can absolutely learn the aircraft by yourself (I had to), but Airline2Sim also produced two excellent video products to learn from a real world Dash 8 pilot.  That said, I greatly prefer using Shared Cockpit to indoctrinate and teach the Dash to new pilots... and I've taught over 100 people to fly her correctly and realistically.

She a LOT of fun, and I hope you pick up the pro version of the Dash.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yes , I paid £39 and a month back I dished out £39 for a airplane that I hardly use. I'm still in the early stages of getting to know my way around and starting with ' 'ready for takeoff ' along with watching a lot of youtube  stuff I have managed to complete a few flights, landings not great but that's expected.

Have enjoyed the detailed leaning curve so far.

bob

Edited by onebob

25 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Hello Mark.

I was on the Dash 8 team from just about inception, had been feeding the project before it took off, and was one of the primary testers in the close to 6 years we worked on the Dash, and I'm still on the team (we have been working on some neat stuff here and there and we're about to pick things up full steam - but of course I can't say more than that).

Plain and simple, and I'll go to the mat with anyone on this being int he community for going on 4 decades, the Majestic Dash 8 Q400, especially the Professional version is one of the two finest and most complete simulators ever produced for desktop flight sim. The other is the Leonardo MaddogX (I'm also on that team).  And you may note that i say that as a part of Aerosoft.

The Dash is the only commercial turboprop aircraft I know of in flight sim that operates as close to a real turboprop as possible.  Any experienced flight simmer is going to be taken a little by surprise by her. As a fully modeled aircraft there is some things to learn, but the biggest learning curve is how a turboprop really operates - and believe me it's so different that non-turboprop commercial aircraft that it becomes a very welcome change and true true joy to fly.  You'll also have a choice of using a full fledged external flight dynamics engine (developed by NASA by the way) that gives the aircraft the ability to act more like a real aircraft than any existing aircraft in flight sim - or you can use the flight dynamics built into FSX or P3D (shutter at the thought of that).

One incredible feature is the Shared Cockpit on which I played a primary role. It's the best in all of flight sim, which isn't surprising when you consider the the absolutely genuis of the sole programmer of the Dash, Oleksiy Frolov - easily one of the top flight sim aircraft coders we've ever had in the community.

You can absolutely learn the aircraft by yourself (I had to), but Airline2Sim also produced two excellent video products to learn from a real world Dash 8 pilot.  That said, I greatly prefer using Shared Cockpit to indoctrinate and teach the Dash to new pilots... and I've taught over 100 people to fly her correctly and realistically.

She a LOT of fun, and I hope you pick up the pro version of the Dash.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the history and the positive help. I had no idea the true to life coding going on behind the scenes of this aircraft.

I’m downloading the Pro version right now. Sounds very exciting.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by newtie
Sp

1 minute ago, newtie said:

Thanks for the history and the positive help. I had no idea the true to life coding going on behind the scenes of this aircraft.

I’m downloading the Pro version right now. Sounds very exciting.

Cheers,

Mark

I’m installing the Pro version right 

Excellent choice!

I haven't announced it as of yet, but I will be standing up a brand new, never done before flight sim community with Aerosoft in a month or so... centered around Shared Cockpit flying online, holding interactive online classes on flying airliners, flight planning, how to fly on VATSIM and POSON, and of course we'll be doing many exciting group flights and some great discounts.  Nothing like it has been done before.  And of course it's free.  If you (or anyone else) might be interested send me an email to dave.hodges@aerosoft.com and I'll make sure you get an invite.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

The "inception" as Dave puts it, had happened about 7 or 8 years ago. The we whole project however, started around 2002, if memory serves me right, with the -300 variant.

I would not put off getting it in the hope that a newer version is just around the corner. Since the whole thing is basically a one man show, thins take significantly longer than with development teams.

21 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Excellent choice!

I haven't announced it as of yet, but I will be standing up a brand new, never done before flight sim community with Aerosoft in a month or so... centered around Shared Cockpit flying online, holding interactive online classes on flying airliners, flight planning, how to fly on VATSIM and POSON, and of course we'll be doing many exciting group flights and some great discounts.  Nothing like it has been done before.  And of course it's free.  If you (or anyone else) might be interested send me an email to dave.hodges@aerosoft.com and I'll make sure you get an invite.

This sounds great Dave as my experience with airliners is between 0 and 1.

Way back when I bought the PMDG 737 and did marginally well with it (and the FMC). Kinda lost interest in it. Primary aircraft these days is Flysimware’s Lear and Falcon. I’m going to attack the Q400 as my first move forward.

You should’na told me you were on the team...

”Hey Dave, how do ya.....? 😂

I’ll pm you regarding the invite.

Add FS 2 Crew to the Q400 and you will be blown away. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I looked at that Bob. Not sure exactly how that works but I’ll figure it out.