Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

In and around Airports (NZWR/NZGS) - With "Bob"

Now that I'm a bit familiar with the terrain and geography of the region between Whangarei and Gisborne, I thought it's a good time to take a personal (and "unrestricted" i.e. no "visitor-badge" required...🙂...) tour of these two airports with my trusted guide "Bob".

The first 8 screenshots, below, are for Whangarei (NZWR) and the last 10 are for Gisborne (NZGS), with the NZGS set starting with the "Welcome to Gisborne" sign. It ends with the shots of Gisborne's century-old Palmerston North-Gisborne Line (WA165) steam train, crossing the (14/32) runway. Gisborne Airport is one of the few airports in the world that has a railway line, crossing the main runway.

As instructed, I was ready and waiting to catch the train's crossing, after setting my clock to 13:00 (1PM), standing close to the track (on RWY14) while, at the same time, straining my neck (I mean the Camera angle) to check both sides...(should have known better!). Anyway, we had to wait just a few minutes before the train (faithfully) showed up steaming in from left, and crossed the RWY to the right (see pictures). However, the folks standing on the last car, did not respond to our "waving"...Oh well...(BTW, do notice the signal-post with red (warning) lights on it, meant for aircraft operations - at RHS of the last screenshot).

Hope you enjoy these images (not involving any aircraft). [Orbx(NZWR/NZGS/BOB)]

CWC4ND.png

9sZVvt.png

prVN8U.png

vM4ZSz.png

ZfOorB.png

jWg6g4.png

WB5WNB.png

Ks1qPs.png

3DzMrT.png

gWic0e.png

gF5efz.png

pmRWPH.png

jhur1I.png

CTZLj4.png

gyCa09.png

zbeD5D.png

IyDxTQ.png

fz09jH.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 3

Wow! Beautifully detailed scenery. Thanks, Bob!

I wonder if they have a warning for steam train wake turbulence on touchdown?? :huh:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Fantastic Detail

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Mark and Patrick, thanks for the comments!

[Mark, 🙂...yes, obviously it's all an (un-usual) challenge with planes and trains mixing in the same area (the train track crossing the main runway of this airport)....so, the landings must have to be carefully co-ordinated with the train's accurate schedule to avoid any approaching trains!]