Sign in to follow this  
willy647

Affinity app

I made this little app for myself, but why not share it with the community !  In short, it allows you to start any program with a specific affinity. Select the app, set the cores you want it to use, and you will get a shortcut to that app running on just the cores you want.

Dowmload from the avsim library - search for 'affinty shortcut' or here  https://willy648.stackstorage.com/s/yR7vbJn6CyWkmX3

https://imgur.com/a/SdbtiPT

• Like 5

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Just what I was looking for. Now I don't have to use Process Lasso

which I have never been keen on. I also use your Affinity calculator

regularly - another great little program.

Thank you very much !!

• Like 1

Thanks for the generous gift to the community..

Being not technologically inclined enough to know the purpose of this. What benefit is there to selecting cores to different programs? 

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

very kind of you to share this app with the community

i think a lot of people would benifit from this

thank you

• Like 1

jeff storey

Assign at least two LPs per app, since some apps on one LP can be forced into longer wait states.

20 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Thanks for the generous gift to the community..

Being not technologically inclined enough to know the purpose of this. What benefit is there to selecting cores to different programs? 

Some apps will spread all over the CPU and interfere with the running of the main task of the sim. With few cores corrall addon exe's onto cores away from the sim main cores which dictate the fps, as we can use the cores servicing the back end tasks of the sim as they take seconds to complete.

If an app has it's own affinity setting, use that setting (as in P3D and FSX JOBSCHEDULER setting) rather than use another app.

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Assign at least two LPs per app, since some apps on one LP can be forced into longer wait states.

Some apps will spread all over the CPU and interfere with the running of the main task of the sim. With few cores corrall addon exe's onto cores away from the sim main cores which dictate the fps, as we can use the cores servicing the backed tasks of the sim as they take seconds to complete.

If an app has it's own affinity setting, use that setting (as in P3D and FSX JOBSCHEDULER setting) rather than use another app.

Thanks for trying to explain it, and I’m sure that is the explanation but looks like I have some research to do as I have no idea what all that meant,

ill look into this, anything to make the sim run better is worth it.

regards

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

10 minutes ago, jstorey20 said:

i think a lot of people would benifit from this

If we run several exe addons alongside the sim we can set the affinity of the sim and those addons to play nice together. Properly set up these techniques can save at least 5% or more CPU throughput which gives overhead to the simulator.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Personnally, I successfully use a small batch file in witch there are Powershell commands setting the affinity for each EXE process once P3D is launched (SODE, Linda, Couatl, etc...).

Here follows an example:

@echo off

ping 127.0.0.1 -n 60 >nul       -->          Waiting 1 mn for all P3D addons launched

PowerShell "$Process = Get-Process Couatl; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=240"

Exit

The value must be Decimal

Edited by CoolCaptain
  • Like 1

The app has not been loaded to the library yet because of a problem during submission.  I'll load it as soon as the author resubmits it.

James M Driskell

AVSIM Library Manager

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

1 hour ago, CoolCaptain said:

Personnally, I successfully use a small batch file in witch there are Powershell commands setting the affinity for each EXE process once P3D is launched (SODE, Linda, Couatl, etc...).

Here follows an example:

@echo off

ping 127.0.0.1 -n 60 >nul       -->          Waiting 1 mn for all P3D addons launched

PowerShell "$Process = Get-Process Couatl; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=240"

Exit

The value must be Decimal

That looks interesting. So if you wanted to set the affinity of multiple programs,

you would just add additional lines - PowerShell "$Process = Get-Process Couatl; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=240", and

change the name of the process and the decimal affinity number at the end to whatever you want?

This might be better for me as unfortunately the Affinity app from the OP didn't work correctly on some of my addons.

Do you run the batch file from the FSUIPC ini file?

Thanks, Clive.

Exactly. One line for each process whatever the amount of them. I don't run the batch from FSUIPC, I didn't knwow that is was possible.

I aleady had a batch with a routine to get random splash screens in witch I call another batch file containing the commands mentioned above.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, caveney747 said:

This might be better for me as unfortunately the Affinity app from the OP didn't work correctly on some of my addons.

Did you run the shortcut as administrator ?  That is a must !

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Does this app work with executables that are started together or on demand of the simulator? E.g.: I use .bat files to set the affinity of my external addons such as ActiveSky, REX EF, ProATC/X etc. However, this does not work for UT2.exe for example, as this executable is only executed upon starting P3D and it does not work if I put the .bat file into the config. Only work-around to set an affinity for UT2 is running the .exe manually after starting P3D, but that is not convenient...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS