Sign in to follow this  
EKRA01

Bing Maps Accuracy

We all know that the new simulator is going to use Bing maps for scenery, however if you go to Bing maps right now, there are areas that are using imagery from 2010-2011. For example Istanbul's new airport is just a pit in a construction site, Doha Hamad is half-way through construction and most of the areas around the region there are using outdated imagery as well. Europe and the Americas seem to be updated. How will the simulator update the imagery to make it current?

this was discussed allready here, we simply don't know...

Edited by Nedo68

It uses Azure maps, plus professional / industry aimed data that isn't available on Bing, plus it has all been gone over with Azure AI. What you see on Bing maps is not what you'll be flying over. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

In short I don't think there's that much they can do, one can't conjure stuff out of thin air, if the source data is out of date then it will look out of date in the sim. Whilst I'm sure there will be more data available to MFS then vanilla Bing maps I'm not expecting it to be a huge difference.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I expect the answer is that certain areas might be behind-the-times, until Bing acquires more up-to-date imagery for that area.  Just the reality of trying to get data for the entire planet - some areas are going to be more out of date than others, on a rolling basis.

And while I'm sure they have secondary sources of data to supplement what is on Bing, I do still largely expect what we fly over to be broadly reflective of what is on Bing Maps.

Maybe Bing Maps is part of the work in progress. :rolleyes:

Pure speculation but perhaps they'll capture new imagery because of the partnership between Asobo, MS and the Bing team?

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

As stated by the developers previously, the beauty of this system is that as newer images enter Bing, they can be incorporated into the game seamlessly and without the player noticing. The questions are, how regularly does Bing update its imagery and with what prioritisation system? The satellites are circling up there all the time but I suspect it's not as easy as someone from Asobo ringing up Bing and asking for a new snap of Fred's street because he's just e-mailed to say it's out of date. Never the less, it is "just" a photo and a download away. Will it be updated patchwork-like all the time or will they collect updated images until it makes sense to run it again through Azure AI, quality assure the output and then squirt it through to our PCs? Could the demand for updating to feed MSFS provide a meaningful incentive for the Bing maps division to step up their updates? Somewhere in Microsoft I'm sure there's a bean counter whose job it is to consider these things.

bing accuracy si not very good in all place, but azure AI will do a very good job.

for example, wewak is a place where maps not very accurate.

bing is very ugly :

wewak-bing.jpg

google earth is better but all buiding is flat

wewak-googleearth.jpg

and  with azure AI, in game : (from episode #1 world)

wewak-jeu.jpg

for me, with very poor data, this AI make a very good job

Edited by azulkb
  • Like 1

its amazing how different the Bing and Google 'photos' are.  You wouldnt even think it was the same place.

I think Azure will take a LOT of artistic license and create very believable places to fly.  Its actually better that way because it makes seasons easier to do if Azure is 'making it up' using real data as a strong suggestion.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

8 minutes ago, sightseer said:

its amazing how different the Bing and Google 'photos' are.  You wouldnt even think it was the same place.

I think Azure will take a LOT of artistic license and create very believable places to fly.  Its actually better that way because it makes seasons easier to do if Azure is 'making it up' using real data as a strong suggestion.

This is because this is not the same place.

The bing screenshot is taken a few miles west of the google screenshot :), it is another peninsula.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Noooch said:

This is because this is not the same place.

The bing screenshot is taken a few miles west of the google screenshot :), it is another peninsula.

Oh my mistake so for bing. Can you put if you have map the good location ? 

1 hour ago, azulkb said:

bing is very ugly :

wewak-bing.jpg

and  with azure AI, in game : (from episode #1 world)

wewak-jeu.jpg

You’re bing shot isn’t the same piece of land. 

But I see Apple maps is using the same source aerial for that part of the world (just comparing pixels) and it looks more high res than the same bing screen grab. So I wonder if bing maps to the consumer is getting a lower res/ more compressed version of what’s available. Probably.

11 minutes ago, azulkb said:

Oh my mistake so for bing. Can you put if you have map the good location ? 

The good location is precisely 4.2 miles East of yours

Edited by Noooch

13 minutes ago, Noooch said:

The good location is precisely 4.2 miles East of yours

bing-wewak.jpg