Sign in to follow this  
Sagittarius2018

C208B Grand Caravan (FSX / P3D) problems

Hi, I purchased the aircraft in the Aerosoft website and I found these problems:

1. Respecting the battery start-up checklist engine not start.
  2. Starting the engine with the CTRL + E keys, sometimes the aircraft, with the parking brake set and the throttle at idle, starts rolling and cannot be stopped.
  3. During taxi the speed is too high, even with a minimum of throttle (> 20 knots)
  4. From the checklist: "Fire detector test: Press" (cannot be pressed)

Could I have your help? Thanks.

Edited by Sagittarius2018

1. Can't replicate. What is the problem? No RPM increase? No ignition?

2. Can't replicate. This problem usually happens when doing manual engine starts incorrectly, but I've never seen problem this when using ctrl-e.  Don't understand how the engine start can be different when you are always using ctrl-e.

3. Confirm that the condition lever is at low?

4. Not modelled. 

Edited by FDEdev

It's done that since inception years ago. Starting with the starter switch , you won't see the issue. Taxing. Its the FSX lack of beta. Use low idle with the condition lever best hope.

Again, I can't replicate this problem.  Serious torque & rpm spiking in FSX yes, but not the uncontrollable runaway.

This only happens when advancing the condition lever from cut off too early and too much fuel enters the engine before igniting. That's why I don't understand why this happens with ctrl-e. The power lever not being fully at idle can cause this problem as well. (tooltip at 0%)

Beta doesn't have anything to do with the taxi problem (although moving the power lever just a touch below idle you do get a beta effect).

With the condition lever at high and at low weight she will taxi pretty fast, that's the main reason why there's a low idle position.  

Edited by FDEdev

14 hours ago, FDEdev said:

1. Can't replicate. What is the problem? No RPM increase? No ignition?

2. Can't replicate. This problem usually happens when doing manual engine starts incorrectly, but I've never seen problem this when using ctrl-e.  Don't understand how the engine start can be different when you are always using ctrl-e.

3. Confirm that the condition lever is at low?

4. Not modelled. 

Perhaps a video can help you understand better. Attention: starting from minute 1.22 the start is made with CTRL + E

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R2oVGwuD_HyCckeHBoP0xHjrc73e2oZj/view?usp=sharing

The engine isn't getting any fuel in the manual start attempts. Can you confirm that both fuel tank selector valves are open? 

Depending on the default aircraft/flight it might be possible that the fuel valves are still closed when loading the aircraft, despite the selectors being in the open position.

If the fuel valves are open, cycle them and see if this fixes the problem.

Thanx for the video, makes trouble shooting usually much easier 🙂

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

The engine isn't getting any fuel in the manual start attempts. Can you confirm that both fuel tank selector valves are open?

Yes

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Depending on the default aircraft/flight it might be possible that the fuel valves are still closed when loading the aircraft, despite the selectors being in the open position.

If the fuel valves are open, cycle them and see if this fixes the problem.

Ok,I will do.

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

Don't forget to download and install the 'optional patch' which is a much improved FDE (and IMO essential)

I have downloaded the patch but maybe it is not suitable for my C208? In fact in the patch there is the file "C208_ng.air" while in my plane there is the file "C208B.air".

12 minutes ago, Sagittarius2018 said:

I have downloaded the patch but maybe it is not suitable for my C208? In fact in the patch there is the file "C208_ng.air" while in my plane there is the file "C208B.air".

Yes, it's the correct one. If the air file would have the identical name one could easily combine the old air file with the new cfg file and vice versa.

What's your default aircraft/situation? 

22 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Yes, it's the correct one. If the air file would have the identical name one could easily combine the old air file with the new cfg file and vice versa.

Sorry, I would like to understand better (I am not an expert): I have to add the file "C208_ng.air" in the same directory where there is the file "C208B.air" (F:\Programmi\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C208B Grand Caravan) and replace the others (aircraft.cfg and GCCB.CAB)?

22 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

What's your default aircraft/situation?

My default aircraft / situation is this:

45 minutes ago, Sagittarius2018 said:

1. I have to add the file "C208_ng.air" in the same directory where there is the file "C208B.air" (F:\Programmi\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C208B Grand Caravan) and replace the others (aircraft.cfg and GCCB.CAB)?

2. My default aircraft / situation is this:

1. Yes. Can't check where the GCCB.CAB file is located in P3D since I don't have it installed on my laptop, but in FSX it's in the gauges subfolder.

2. That's most likely the problem. You should never use a complex add-on for initial loading of FSX/P3D due to the likely problems during initialisation. Suggest to use e.g. the Maule as the default aircraft, preferably with the engine running. Thereafter shut down the aircraft and safe the flight as default flight.

It's not necessary to start the actual flight with the Maule, it's (usually) sufficient that P3D is loaded with a default aircraft. Thereafter you can select e.g. your MD-82/LICC situation.

Loved to fly into LICC IRL 🙂

Edited by FDEdev

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

1. Yes. Can't check where the GCCB.CAB file is located in P3D since I don't have it installed on my laptop, but in FSX it's in the gauges subfolder.

In P3D the GCCB.CAB file is found in F:\Programmi\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\gauges

Confirm that the  "C208_ng.air" file is added to the F:\Programmi\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C208B Grand Caravan folder leaving the  "C208B.air" file in the same folder?

Thankes.

Confirmed. The new aircraft.cfg file will use the C208_ng.air file.  If you want you can delete or rename the C208B.air file.

The important part is the second line in each aircraft entry:  sim=C208_ng  

Edited by FDEdev

You are most welcome. Glad I could help and that you can enjoy your upgraded and fully functional 208 🙂

Since you are using P3D I'll send you a PM concerning a more realistic startup.

Edited by FDEdev