Sign in to follow this  
Cyrille de Lattre

P3DV4.4 to 4.5

Good evening,

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but as of today, is there any reason for me not to upgrade from 4.4 to 4.5, knowing all the addons I have, from all PMDG to Maddog and FSLABS an QW 787 with out speaking of weather engines and sceneries.

The reason I ask the question is because 4.4 is running like a charm for me, and I usually do not repair what aint broken... That said I was intending to upgrade only the client and content, second I am reading far more problem with 4.5 than 4.4. Maybe it is just me...

Thanks for your input.

Cyrille 

Cyrille de LATTRE

Aorus Z390 // Icore 9900 Coffe Lake @4.8 Ghz // 32Gig RAM DDR4 // GTX1070 OC @112% core clock+200 memory clock +400) Corsair liquid cooling H105 Ipro

For me, "upgrading" to 4.5 was a nightmare. Don't do it! There are no real advantages and many disadvantages, including add-on incompatibilities and, for many people, a significant performance hit. You'll be lucky if a month's tinkering afterward will get you back where you are today. The old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies especially to the 4.4 to 4.5 "upgrade."

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Just now, David Mills said:

For me, "upgrading" to 4.5 was a nightmare. Don't do it! There are no real advantages and many disadvantages, including add-on incompatibilities and, for many people, a significant performance hit. You'll be lucky if a month's tinkering afterward will get you back where you are today. The old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies especially to the 4.4 to 4.5 "upgrade."

This was prior to HF2 which is the latest current version.

No reason to stay on 4.4 given all the changes and fixes they introduced to 4.5 HF2.

The only reason he heards more about people with issues with 4.5, is because the majority of the user base has upgraded now. 

There are lots of addons that requires 4.5 HF2 to work correctly these days.

Regards,

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, David Mills said:

For me, "upgrading" to 4.5 was a nightmare.

Sorry to hear you had issues upgrading.  Uninstalling Prepar3D 4.4 Client and then installing 4.5 HF2 caused you all kinds of problems and a "nightmare"?  That's all you needed to do.  Of course, if you wanted to and after the sim was set up with the upgrade, you could then uninstall Content and then install the 4.5 version of Content (not sure if there were any changes made) and then, later on uninstall P3D4 Scenery and install the P3DV4.5 version.  No need to remove any add-ons.  They will continue to work.  As I recall I did not "upgrade" Content and Scenery for a few months after the release of 4.5.  The AVSIM Prepar3D Tips and Tricks Forum provides guidance for uninstalling/reinstalling.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

36 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Uninstalling Prepar3D 4.4 Client and then installing 4.5 HF2 caused you all kinds of problems and a "nightmare"?

No. I imprudently installed the original 4.5 the moment it was released. If I had instead wisely waited for the two bug-patches or Hot Fixes to be released, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble, though I still had to wait for and download patches from third-party vendors to resolve incompatibilities between 4.4 and 4.5. And all of course for no benefit at all -- just to get back where I started. I'm so glad we're getting a new sim next year!

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Thanks guys for your input, I will give it a trial with only the client and content initially.

Cyrille

Cyrille de LATTRE

Aorus Z390 // Icore 9900 Coffe Lake @4.8 Ghz // 32Gig RAM DDR4 // GTX1070 OC @112% core clock+200 memory clock +400) Corsair liquid cooling H105 Ipro

When 4.5 came out, some people found that performance (fps) was worse than 4.4. I believe Rob did some tests and comparisons at that time.

Is lower fps as compared to 4.4 in 4.5 HF2 still an issue?

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Well i have made the upgrade for client and content this morning, and so far I have, if not equal, an upgrade of my performances (the test place for me is KLAX as it is a performance killer with my settings), partly in FPS, but i am not an FPS hunter, but mainly in graphic and smoothness... Go figure...

Graphic with clouds, is because of sky force and AS, I do not know, but so far I am happy.

I have upgraded also PTA to version 67 and use David July preset with it.

Cyrille

• Upvote 1

Cyrille de LATTRE

1 hour ago, Cargostorm said:

Is lower fps as compared to 4.4 in 4.5 HF2 still an issue?

No, HF2 addressed the issues found thanks to Rob Ainscough findings among other developers that helped LM to narrow down this and others issues.

Regards,

Simbol 

19 hours ago, David Mills said:

For me, "upgrading" to 4.5 was a nightmare. Don't do it! There are no real advantages...

I’m guessing you never read the list of enhancements. Like the bug fix that has been there for multiple generations of P3D and FSX before it.

The fix that now allows for each end of a runway to be open or closed for take-off or landing. That was a very useful fix for many of us.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Will just upgrading to 4.5 client from 4.4 mess up any scenery addons? ORBX, fly tampa ect?

I see milviz realeased the king air 350i for "4.5 only"..this would be the only reason for me to upgrade..i just dont want to screw up all my other aircraft (a2a mustang, pmdg ect) just for 1 airplane

3 minutes ago, chevelle505 said:

Will just upgrading to 4.5 client from 4.4 mess up any scenery addons? ORBX, fly tampa ect?

I see milviz realeased the king air 350i for "4.5 only"..this would be the only reason for me to upgrade..i just dont want to screw up all my other aircraft (a2a mustang, pmdg ect) just for 1 airplane

Yes you can do just the client.

S.

2 hours ago, chevelle505 said:

Im aware i can do just the client, question was how does that affect add on scenery? 

It doesn't affect it.. neither if you do the content..

S.