Sign in to follow this  
mikelockwood

Camera keyboard/yoke assignments

Hi everyone,

I've been using Chase Plane for some time now and have been very happy with the product but I was wondering how you all assign your camera positions. 

At the moment I am using a Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant. I normally assign multiple cockpit views to the 4 cardinal points on the hat switch e.g. captain's view, captain's FMC etc etc to the 270 degree position, overhead views to 0 degree position, and so on. I have up to about 5 or 6 views on each point of the compass which involves a lot of scrolling through each point. I also use Track IR to supplement this, switching on and off as required.

For exterior views I have assigned various positions to the 4 keyboard arrow keys, which again involves some scrolling through each view

Anyway, I think that there must be a tidier and more efficient way of organising things and would ask that some of you could share you own set up with me or provide me with any suggestions.

Many thanks,

Mike

****MIKE****

Maybe! I always have hat 6 o clock set to ifr view... Front panel captains view including view ahead tweaked so that during an ils landing the runway is always visible. 12 o clock is then setup slightly above this also central view called vfr. I then have 4 views for each level, ifr and vfr set to left wing, forward left, forward right and right wing. The ifr views are set low with top of window top screen and vfr set so wing is bottom screen (ideal for when doing a 30 degree turn to base). 

I then set the views to be concurrent for both ifr and vfr separately and hat 9 and 3 to go left and right view by view. This means I can get 10 views very fast including most of instruments needed by simply pressing hat down or hat up followed by 1 or 2 clicks left or right. So no more than 3 hat clicks can get me any of the 10. That leaves me able to use extra buttons for say overhead and radio views. 

Hope that helps but I know a video would be more useful sorry! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

On 12/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, mikelockwood said:

Anyway, I think that there must be a tidier and more efficient way of organising things and would ask that some of you could share you own set up with me or provide me with any suggestions.

I have a Saitek Cessna Yoke and although I own an EDTracker I still find myself using the hat switch for cockpit scanning rendering it unavailable for ChasePlane.

For CP I use a home built 12-button box.  Because the button numbers conflict with the yoke, I reserve buttons 01 - 12 on the yoke for FSX and other app related commands such as VATSIM, FS2Crew, etc.

That leaves me without dedicated access to external views, so I'm thinking of expanding the button box and using the named assignments option to allocate the additional conflicting numbers to the external view. 

Still a WIP, so I'm anxious to see what others are doing.

Ernest Pergrem

Would a set of Thrustmaster MFDs be worth considering for allocating keyboard commands? [I started off with a Masterpilot way back when and I'm now on my second set of MFDs. I love 'em and they double up for XP11]

Many thanks to you all for replying. I think that your suggestions of an external box or the Thrustmaster option are good idea. It will give me a lot more control and organisation.

Thanks again,

Mike

****MIKE****