Sign in to follow this  
MDFlier

A couple of strange things

On my last flight, I had a couple of strange things happen.

First, When I declared takeoff thrust, the FO didn't interpret it, and I didn't realize it until I looked at the speed tape and saw that I was above V1 with no call out. The FO did not call rotate or positive climb. When I called for gear up - nothing. That's when I called up the primary display and saw that it read takeoff thrust. I pressed the down arrow to forward to climb and called gear up. No problem. I need to remember to watch for that next time. More to come later. 

The rest of the climb, all of cruise, and the initial descent phase all went normally. About 20 miles out, I called 'select cmd A off". The FO switches it off, and then says 'Mmmm... There's something wrong here'. Aside from the expected A/P warning light, no... there isn't. I meant to do that. If you tell him to turn cmd A off, he should not say that. 

I'm flying the LINNG2 approach to rwy 23 at CYYZ Toronto. This approach has you flying past the airport on heading 157, and then making a 180 degree left turn to intercept the approach heading (237). As I passed the airport on my left, heading away from it before turning back, the FO called 'glide slope active'. Shouldn't that only happen if you are flying on, or close to, the runway heading? 

As I touched down, the FO calls 'Rotate'. Huh? We just landed. This must have been a left over pending action from when I messed up the takeoff thrust. Maybe a check to see if we are landing or taking off before calling rotate would work?

The SOP 2 voice tutorial says that the FO is supposed to retract the flaps during the after landing procedure. This flight ended up cold and dark at the gate with the flaps down.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I think what happened is the system didn't detect "SET TAKEOFF THRUST".

Maybe you said it, but the system didn't hear it properly.  That's why you didn't get your T/O callouts and why you got the weird call on the ground.

That's why I generally recommend keeping the gear bar visible so you can see what's being heard.

Also, it's a good idea to keep the FS2Crew Main Panel open so you can see the automatic changes.

"Glide Slope Alive" is a bit hit and miss.  We can't "see"and  interpret data the same way a real human can.  We can't read the "runway heading" out of the sim unfortunately, so it's tough to generate a perfect call under all scenarios.

Flaps after landing:  Was the runway contaminated with snow?  The FO won't bring the flaps up if the runway is contaminated.  They're left down so if there's slush, etc. in the flap tracts the flaps won't jam up when you retract them.

2 hours ago, byork said:

Flaps after landing:  Was the runway contaminated with snow?  The FO won't bring the flaps up if the runway is contaminated.  They're left down so if there's slush, etc. in the flap tracts the flaps won't jam up when you retract them.

I've seen this on my last few flights and I was going to report it.  I suppose the sim must be reporting "snow" even though I didn't see any.  That said, your explanation makes sense.

That being said, is there a way to instruct the FO to retract them fully from 15?  I commanded both "flaps up" and "flaps zero" and he ignored me so I did it myself.  I'm assuming "that's the way it's supposed to be"?

Christopher Sargeant | Worldwide Virtual WW2464

Spoiler

Sim PC Specs: i7-11700F @ 2.5 Ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB | 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM | Windows 11 Pro | P3D v5.3 hf2 | MSFS | TrackIR 5

23 hours ago, byork said:

I think what happened is the system didn't detect "SET TAKEOFF THRUST".

Maybe you said it, but the system didn't hear it properly.  That's why you didn't get your T/O callouts and why you got the weird call on the ground.

That's why I generally recommend keeping the gear bar visible so you can see what's being heard.

Also, it's a good idea to keep the FS2Crew Main Panel open so you can see the automatic changes.

"Glide Slope Alive" is a bit hit and miss.  We can't "see"and  interpret data the same way a real human can.  We can't read the "runway heading" out of the sim unfortunately, so it's tough to generate a perfect call under all scenarios.

I'm certain that's exactly what happened, Bryan. I'll be keeping an eye out for it on my next takeoff.

If FS2Crew can read the course indicator(s) (that are already set up for the approach) and the current heading, maybe you could do a sanity check between the two prior to allowing it to make the call. Just a suggestion. He actually called it the 2nd time and it seemed to be normal from there.

Yes. I landed at CYYZ in Toronto. FlyTampa's snowdrift effect was working overtime. That had to be it. FO didn't say anything, so I had no idea that's what happened. 

Thank you!

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Bryan,

On my last flight in the 900ER, the A/C cart didn't connect on arrival. Power/Air was set to "GPU & AC CART" on approach brief page 2. The GPU did connect properly.

FO released the cabin at 10K, and the cabin crew at 15K. Was this caused because I called for the after takeoff checklist too late? The flight was out of Denver, so 10K came pretty quick after departure. I called for the checklist at about 10,500 just after he released the cabin. But the crew should always be released first, no?

I have a question about the flap movement check option. A couple of flights ago I used the cold weather procedure and taxied with the flaps up (not sure which model I was flying). Near the runway, I called for flaps 5. The FO went to full flaps and then back to full up. I called for flaps 5 a couple of times, but FO ignored me so I set them myself. I'm assuming that the check should have been full deployment, and then bringing them back to my requested setting? Is that the way it is supposed to work?

Edited by MDFlier

Hi,

1. We'll check.

2. That's because of Denver.  I'll see if in the future we can somehow adjust the cabin calls and have them vary depending on departure field altitude for cases like Denver.

3. Cold weather procedures are a bit complex.  

If the "FLAP MOVEMENT CHECK" option is set to YES, the FO will perform a flap movement check if the Temp is < 3 and there is some kind of ambient precipitation.

He'll do during Before Taxi flow.  He'll set the flaps to 40, then bring them back up.

Looking at the code, you probably forgot to wait for the FO to finish his flap movement check before calling for the Takeoff Flaps.

The FO will say "Standby" if he's still doing the flap movement check and you ask for the TO flaps.

The mode on the FS2Crew Main Panel in Voice Control should say "FLAPS__".

Edited by byork

1. Auto GPU connect at shutdown worked for me.

I'm guessing you didn't trigger the FO's pre-shutdown flow; that's when the connection would happen.

These are the conditions for the FO's pre-shutdown flow to occur:

1. Descent Mode running (DM flashing on the main panel).

2. Parking Brakes Set

3. Taxi Light Off <---- I suspect you're missing this one.

4. Mode as shown on FS2Crew Main Panel (for Sop 1 and 2)= 

<SHUTDOWN PROCEDURE>

Mode (for Sop 3)= 

<SHUTDOWN CHECKLIST>
Edited by byork