Sign in to follow this  
KFXE

I want to fly over my home town and recognize things

After flying over my home town and not recognizing anything outside of major roads and airports......I'm wondering if there's ad on scenery that would actually let you fly over and recognize familiar shopping centers, parks, amusement parks etc in ones home town?

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

No doubt!  😀

I'm already down to 400,000KB free VAS with NO add-ons.   I don't stand a chance.

But...but.....it says....

Flying With Such Realism Does NOT Mean A Performance Hit Either...
Framerates With MegaSceneryEarth Are Actually Smoother Than Default Scenery. 

.... And Ordering Your MegaSceneryEarth Scenery Is Easy. 

Edited by KFXE

1 hour ago, KFXE said:

lying With Such Realism Does NOT Mean A Performance Hit Either...

I fly 100% of the time with Megascenery, and mostly with Megascenery version 3 states (perfect color).  The only issues I have is when I fly into areas where I also at the same time attempt to use detailed freeware add-on airports coupled with ultra high res payware airport scenery such as from FSDT, Imagine Sim, Blueprint, Drzewiecki, and some LatinVFR (KBWI).  The areas that most impact me based on those combinations are Dallas, Texas;  Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York City.  For instance I have a detailed freeware KMDW Chicago and FSDT O'hare, and in the case of Dallas a detailed freeware KDAL, (Dallas Love field), and FSDT KDFW.

I routinely fly to and from from Indianapolis, Indiana; St. Louis, Missouri; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Charlotte and Raleigh and Greensboro, North Carolina; Denver, Colorado; and many others, all with use of the latest Megascenery and lesser hit add on airports, and all without issues.

I also use a licensed FSUIPC which I have configured to autosave my flights (maximum of 10 flights). So if I do experience an interruption I can reboot, reload, and continue.

My five-year-old and now mediocre system specs are in my signature below.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to provide that very helpful information.   Based on your recommendation, I may purchase the Florida Add-On and give that a try.

My only add-on to date is the unpaid version of FSUIPC4.  Strangely, even with that, I'm experiencing a very low free VAS issue with only about 400,000KB remaining.   I have yet to discover why with such low demands on the simulator.

Best Regards

Use X-Plane 11, You can definitely recognise coastal areas, and create and download your own enhanced maps

http://www.ontheglideslope.net/2017/01/09/make-your-own-photorealistic-scenery-for-x-plane/

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

11 hours ago, KFXE said:

Flying With Such Realism Does NOT Mean A Performance Hit Either...

Photoreal scenery gives great FPS, but used it (many years ago) I found that it had a cumulative effect on VAS usage which I think was due to constantly adding new photoreal textures as you fly over different areas. Non-photoreal scenery, by contrast, tends to use many textures over and over again so it can have less of a VAS hit. 
Bill

Or you can wait for MSFS2020 which will stream scenery from Bing Maps and using AI extrapolate 3D buildings and trees of those maps. Making VFR possible. You'll probably be able to fly over your own house.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

A number of years back, (they all run together now), there was a plugin module available for FS that pulled both elevation and tiles from the Google Earth DB in real time. Bit of a frame hog and was a bear to set up, otherwise was amazing for VFR flight. Turned out the developer did not have an agreement in place with Google and with all the folks trying it out it was bogging down the servers. Google blocked the app. End of a promising project. A quick search might turn up something similar. I have heard there is another app out there that replaces the tiles but with no elevation data so everything looks great from altitude but is just a flat skin. Guess it would be like some of the freeware scenery from FS2004 where you descended through the ground to find an airfield!

Roger Anderson

ATP since '79 - Flight Sim since '84-2014-sep-25-034_zps36c9161d.jpg