Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

1st electric seaplane flight

7 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Btw, powered flight started with Gustave Whitehead, not the Wright brothers

Ok, but not sure how that's relevant to my response to someone's concern about flight distance with batteries?  Wright Brothers first flight was about 850 ft ... this test flight was considerably further ... point being it's early days similar to early days of Wright Brothers and it's a "start".

My point was to try, not to just give up and say don't bother ... be in electric flight or reducing CO2 ... "adaption" is just an excuse to continue with ignorance and there is no guarantee we can adapt regardless of one's belief of cause. 

We have the intelligence to do something about, we don't need to be sheep and just "let it happen and hope" or the alternative "ignore it and hope it goes away or isn't real" ... I'm just not one for giving up.

Cheers, Rob.  

5 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

We have the intelligence to do something about, we don't need to be sheep and just "let it happen and hope" or the alternative "ignore it and hope it goes away or isn't real" ... I'm just not one for giving up.

I fully agree and I hope you are right!  e.g. Solar fuel seems to be a very promising solution 🙂

7 hours ago, FDEdev said:

I'm talking of the little know fact about the environmental problems when producing large batteries for cars etc.  That's a drama that just starts to unfold since the production rates are still very low.

Concerning disposal; A few month ago the first Tesla crash happened in Austria with a totally destroyed Tesla and it took the owner of the car seven weeks to find a company which can handle/dispose the battery correctly. In the meantime the car had to be placed in a special container because no one knows if or when the battery ignites.

As Murmur mentioned, the co2 problem is way bigger than many of us dare to assume.

Btw, powered flight started with Gustave Whitehead, not the Wright brothers 😉

Regarding the Tesla which burnt in Austria, it was due to cable fire, if i recall the news correctly and the batteries were not damaged At all. Other than that i think that Tesla was either very cautious about letting anyone get to close to their batteries for whatever reasons of product piracy or so, or it simply was some bad kind of technical support and customer service... i guess though that this kind of behaviour will happen less in the future, once there are more battery driven cars around, but sure it was a bit of a strange behaviour by Tesla.

Now regarding the co2 levels and climate change being a big problem, well: lets face the challenges ahead! And we have to start somewhere to move on and get forward. And as this Beaver on top here clearly demonstrates - although, no doubt, being early stages and still lots of work ahead - scientific and technological progress already has to offer a lot ... so lets make use of it🙂

Edited by wolke85

Enjoy flying and happy landings.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:38 AM, goates said:

The electric motor they used was actually de-rated to produce the same horsepower as the original engine. In the long run they are looking to use the same engine at full power in their Otters. This article gives more technical details than most of the others I have seen.

https://www.skiesmag.com/news/harbour-air-makes-history-with-electric-powered-beaver-flight/

One of the biggest challenges is getting battery weight down and power up.

Same HP... but it needs more (stored) power to increase it`s range.

The Beaver is a perfect test platform for this. Electric aircraft will mean far less working parts and could actually become more reliable

Matthew Kane

Lots of other positives ... no fuel weight calcs need, the batteries themselves can be constructed in such away they are structural members (much higher space efficiency) ... early days and not a finite resource like oil ... lots of alternative resources that can generate power to charge batteries.  I have no doubt that flight will continue on into the future in a much more efficient and safe mode of travel.

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 1

Interesting articles here on how Rolls Royce are working on electric concepts. They have a whole programme called Accel focusing on pushing electric flight.

They aim to beat the electric aircraft speed record of 210mph by beating their own Schneider Trophy record (343mph) with an electric aircraft which also has a range of 200 miles.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/our-stories/innovation/2018/introducing-accel.aspx

On 12/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, Matthew Kane said:

The Beaver is a perfect test platform for this.

And Harbour Air is a great airline to test this out as most of their routes are relatively short.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully more EV flight platforms develop ... the objective is flight.

https://www.noaa.gov/

Ignorance is not bliss ... it's extinction ... the irony is that those who fly and/or have flown have relied and used NOAA services (https://www.aviationweather.gov/) for decades are now being encouraged to call it "fake news" ... those wacky scientists and their data/observations 🙄

Cheers, Rob.

Electrically powered cars, trucks, buses, and aircraft are the mostly likely future of transportation.  I think the battery technology is really the issue and battery technology will catch up to the demands. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.