Sign in to follow this  
regis9

P3D Reduces Volume of Other Program's Sounds

Hello, for some time now I've had an issue that when sounds are actively being played by P3D, the sounds of external programs (ie GSX, Pilot Edge Client, PRO-ATC X, RC4) that play within P3D are muted.  If I used the Q key to mute the P3D sounds, the sounds in the external programs play loud and clear.  Every once and a while the sounds will play clearly when P3D is operating normally, but I'm not sure what P3D may be doing differently in that circumstance. 

I came across this thread:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130968

Like the poster there, I changed the settings in the communications tab to "do nothing". That worked the first time I ran P3D but only the first time, it has reverted.  I also have P3D and the other addons set to specifically use my speakers rather than the default device, no improvement.  Any other thoughts?

I'm on Windows 10 and am using Realtek on board audio.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

As noted in the thread the fix is to toggle the setting from 'do nothing' to something else, apply, then set it back to 'do nothing'.

This isnt a one time fix, you'll need to do this each time it occurs.

So this is an issue related to Windows?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Yes. It's a W10 problem. I have the same. 

Sometimes what works is to go to the sound mixer and adjust the program levels in that.

As was said, though, there does not appear to be a fix yet and you have to do this each time it occurs.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Can you try this:

Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Sound, video and game controllers.

Right click on Realtek Audio, choose Update Driver.

Click: Browse my computer

Click: Let me pick

Choose High Definition Audio Device and continue.

Reboot.

• Like 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

10 hours ago, SoJourned said:

As noted in the thread the fix is to toggle the setting from 'do nothing' to something else, apply, then set it back to 'do nothing'.

This isnt a one time fix, you'll need to do this each time it occurs.

That's how I do it since quite some time. I wish there would be a permanent solution.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Another thing to try if you have more than one output is to right click and choose Set as Default Comms device on the other.

Another thing to try with sound problems if you have NVidia install GeForce Experience and have that install latest updates.

Thanks everyone, I’ll try those ideas and report back.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU