Sign in to follow this  
avhpilot

advise on Gfx card for VR requested

Hi all,

At the moment i have been happy using an ASUS GTX780 GTX 6GB VRAM (STRIX) card (my system is Abit P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard, i7 980X 6-core CPU,18 GB DDR3 RAM) and Oculus Rift CV1

However, i cannot use X-plane 11 VR (enable VR hardware opion is greyed out) and this is most likely due to the Gfx card not being on the list of accepted cards. I am perfectly able to fly in Steam FSX with dozens of add-ons, AeroflyFS2 or DCS.

I am planning to wait until it becomes clear exactly what will be needed for flying VR with MSFS2020 so that could take at least a year if not longer .... if it comes (but it would be absurd if it didn't) and only then buy or build a completely new system. But until then ... I am looking for a Gfx card that can replace the GTX780 to use in my current system so i can use X-plane again and also have a substantial performance increase.

Is there a gfx card in the 100 to 200 euro price range that could this ? Or is the GTX780 good enough (although not for x-plane)

Thanks,

Avhpilot

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Hi,

Have been using a i7 2600k, gtx970 and 32gb ddr3 memory for three years with my cv1. Since the 970gtx is vr ready I could fly in xplane but the graphics were not impressive to say the least.

I would say you'd need a much better graphics card then my old card to get good results.

In your price range there is no graphics card that can do this in my opinion.... Maybe 2nd hand 980ti or something.i have a 2080 super now and that makes all the difference but that thing cost me 800 Euro..

I also bought a rift s and I must say that it runs smoother on my old system then the cv1 for some Reason.

If I were you I'd probably wait and save some cash for a future update and see what xp12 or fs2020 will bring and enjoy your current Sims that do work!!

Cheers

Jozeff

32 minutes ago, jozeff said:

If I were you I'd probably wait and save some cash for a future update and see what xp12 or fs2020 will bring and enjoy your current Sims that do work!!

Thanks for your feedback Jozeff. you are probably right and have saved me a few bucks. Well, too bad i will have to say goodbye to my favourite 737 IGEX or wait for XP12 at least. Returning to X-plane in 2D is not an option as you will understand.

About your remark on smoother experience with Rift S. perhaps it's because you do not need USB bandwith / resources for tracking antennas anymore?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I manage pretty well on a standard GTX1070 with 11GB vram, so I would consider that a minimum. You should aim higher than that but it sort of set the bar for minimum. 

When you use vmi twick vr and supersampling 1.0 you might get some decent performance with a minimum card but no eye candy to be honest...

Personally I had a hell of a lot more fun with p3d, DCs, afs2 and il2 sturmovik with my low end system.. xplane 11 was the only sim that was almost useless in vr.

Got a GTX1070 Ti with a 7700K and the rift S is working fine. but with less detail.

Right now if you spend lot's of money it doesn't mean investing on future with new event coming out.

To have fun before new sim will coming out, I would go with a 1080TI and rift s or a HP Reverb, then once the new toy are out I will go with a 30XX GTX and a Varjo VR-2 but thats how pro are doing LoL

I can not speak for Oculus VR but flying in VR  with a Reverb, go for a 11Gb minimum GPU. I have had a 2070-S (8Gb) for a week and returned it and collected me a used Titan XP with 12Gb Vram. Complex sceneries and Planes in Aerofly-P3Dv4.5 using above 8 Gb Vram with the Reverb due to it's 4K resolution.

Xplane11 is still a NoGo for me in VR. In 2D it was my favourite but falling back from 45 fps in Xplane11 over London with 8SSAA to 15 in VR with only minor AA is not an option but perhaps Vulcan will handle that soon.

Happy landings.