Sign in to follow this  
rich135

DX10 and microsoft marketing...

Guest davewins

It would obviously be beyond foolish to release dx10 on xp and then try to sell vista. Everybody would just get by with dx10 with xp. Anyways, I think this was all a plan to be honest. I think they put out fsx just 3 months shy of releasing vista and dx10 so people that get fsx will see that they need to upgrade to dx10 to really let this game play and that means buying vista. I just know from my experience that the game isn't running anywhere like I want it to be and I have a brand new cpu. Sure I can upgrade graphics card and ram but for what....just to TRY to make this game play better until dx10 cards come out. DX10 is the link for Microsoft to sell Vista for the gaming crowd anyway. You want better next gen games you need dx10....you want dx10 you have to upgrade to Vista. That's what it boils down to and I would have to strongly believe that that is the case here with FSX. Why would they make this game play outstanding out of the box with DX9 when they are releasing Vista and DX10 3 months later?? They made this game for Vista/DX10 and we are basically playing a low end DX9 version for 3 months until DX10 is here. It's all microsoft here...there are no 3rd party developers they are controlling the whole ballgame.

Guest davewins

and another thing is DX9 is compatible with Windows versions dating back to Windows 98. DX10 is only compatible with Vista. Can it get anymore obvious folks??

Guest allcott

Great theory, until you know that DX9 ships with Vista, as well.Allcott

Guest monsoon

A couple of you think this guy is wrong but he isn't far off on a feew things. MARKETING is everything guys. I don't know what it exactly is BUT I guarantee you MS has a strategy behind all this. They don't just pump out software the day it is complete. Timing is a key.

<<>>Releasing FSX for the holiday season is key. Waiting until the 17th so all retailers have product is key. But to think that ACES is timing the FSX release to promote Vista is pretty nutty.Here is a different theory: since Vista is still beta and there is no DX10 hardware (except in the labs of ATI and nVidians), ACES is going to release an XP/DX9 version on Oct. 17th. This will allow the industry time to catch up and give the ACES developers some time to figure out what a DX10 card can do (once they actually get one).

I believe Vista was originally due out now thus the ties between FSX and Vista so no conspiracy at all actually just a good marketing strategy considering MS is a business and businesses have marketing. Now for the kicker, Vista was delayed until 1q 2007, FSX is no longer considered a Vista title and a change in marketing strategy was needed. Not changing that strategy would be more of a conspiracy.Ian.

Guest Rayed

>They made this game for Vista/DX10 and we are basically>playing a low end DX9 version for 3 months until DX10 is here.> It's all microsoft here...there are no 3rd party developers>they are controlling the whole ballgame.Yeah, and I have two grandmothers, both have really long beards and their eyes glow in the dark.DX10 won't turn your FSX into 100 fps monster. It may make it look better, but only a bit. FSX is built on DX9 (just like FS9 is was built on DX8 or even 7, I don't remeber). If there will be any serious impact on FSX performance after switching to Vista, it will run slower when people try to run it on 2-years old hardware.But, yes, MS probably planned both Vista and FSX release around all those 500 or so people who will upgrade to Vista only because they believe FSX will perform better on it :).

IF this consipracy is true.. Actually I would be one happy man.DX10 and FSX with 100FPS. Bring it on. Bring on the conspiracy. I'll help with the conspiracy. Like this is a bad thing? Sheesh!I hope their marketing folks are that smart. God bless them. :)MAnny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest wyoming

is always the same: incompatibility. More energy is spent toward slowing down the inevitable erosion of a monopoly than toward creating something new. Makes complete sense on a business level. And there's just no way around it.

Guest davewins

I still don't see why you think vista/dx10 won't play fsx better then xp/dx9. I just plain don't get that. Of course I'm not right on with everything but come on here people. I have top of the line machine right now and the game isn't coming close to playing great. I am new to pc gaming so I am not right on with a lot of my points but the marketing side of this it's got to be somewhat true. Can you answer a question for me please. When FS9 came out in 04 (I assume 04 but possibly wrong) what was the original version of DX it was platformed on?? Did they send a patch or anything to upgrade to the newest DX?? I honestly don't know because I just got into pc gaming in the last month. But if they can make a patch for fsx with DX10 like they possibly did for FS9 and DX9 then I am sure it would be that much more of an improvement. I don't know if it's you think that the game is platformed for DX9 and it won't be able to take full advantage of DX10 or if you think DX10 is just ANOTHER upgrade. Let me tell you that you have not researched enough about DX10 if you think it's just another upgrade. It's a whole new release from the ground up. For more information I will let you read this link. http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/articles/447226.aspxJust take the time to read that. I understand your point about fsx being released on DX9 and that is where I am unsure about the ability for MS to make a patch for FSX that will be fully DX10 functionable.

Guest davewins

>IF this consipracy is true.. Actually I would be one happy>man.>>DX10 and FSX with 100FPS. Bring it on. Bring on the>conspiracy. I'll help with the conspiracy. Like this is a bad>thing? Sheesh!>>I hope their marketing folks are that smart. God bless them. >>:)>>MAnnyI'm a very wishful thinker. Especially after I just spent $2000 and want this game to play to its full ability.

Guest Rayed

>I still don't see why you think vista/dx10 won't play fsx>better then xp/dx9. I just plain don't get that. Of course>I'm not right on with everything but come on here people. I>have top of the line machine right now and the game isn't>coming close to playing great. I am new to pc gaming so I am>not right on with a lot of my points but the marketing side of>this it's got to be somewhat true. Well, honestly I'd like to have XBox360 version of FSX. No hassle, no problems, runs great on every machine ;) (not kidding, but I doubt it would happen)>Just take the time to read that. I understand your point>about fsx being released on DX9 and that is where I am unsure>about the ability for MS to make a patch for FSX that will be>fully DX10 functionable.There was no patch to upgrade FS9 to DX9. It stayed at its original state, DX8 (or even possibly DX7, I have really forgotten).I don't know what is going on with FSX performance.. I am getting up to 60FPS (15 minimum in really busy areas) with medium (some high) detail settings (autogen at dense), which look really better than FS9 (especially textures). I am super happy that I don't really have to buy any mesh addons (default MS mesh looks as good as this fsgenesis thing and you get no mesh errors and no sunk lakes), etc.. the improvement is major for me. But I can understand that some people might get poor performance, that's PC game, it may not perform good in certain hardware configurations, this is a thing which patches may improve. But probably as always 80% of problems are on the user side though, due to people trying to run at very high settings on 1 gig memory machines, with 2 years old processors and slow graphics cards (hint - 256 megs on the card is not good enough to run textures on high settings (both planes and ground), nvidia 68xxx series cards are not good enough to run water at anything above 1.x, etc..).Vista and DX10 won't change anything much..